NooB r1150r rider from IL

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Cafe_Chaser
Basic User

NooB r1150r rider from IL

Post by Cafe_Chaser »

Hi all,

For the last several weeks I've been trolling through the content here - great stuff! Thanks to all who've contributed.

In my second season of riding I felt confident to take the training wheels off (originally starting on a Honda ruckus and then Suzuki gs500f) and upgrade into the luxurious and charismatic world if BMWs with my purchase of an 04 r1150r two weeks ago.

68,000 miles, with givi side and top luggage included for $3,000 --- decent deal?

My plan, or at least how I talked myself in rationalizing the purchase, is to hit the Tarmac for some long adventures, first major one to Knoxville, TN and possibly Boulder, Co after that. I read the book "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainance," and it got me hooked to create some touring stories of my own.

The Long Way Round on Netflix is also a good one to feed your touring obsession if you haven't seen it already...

Please find some pictures of the new (old) lady below:

Any suggestions or overall words of wisdom initially? Any fellow Chicago suburb riders out there?

Thanks all.
2004 BMW R1150R

2004 Suzuki GS500F
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: NooB r1150r rider from IL

Post by riceburner »

Congrats - nice colour. :)

my main suggestion would be 'RIDE IT'.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Very nice. Enjoy. Sounds like a reasonable price.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Welcome. RIDE! :-)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Love the color of that bike! Where at in Illinois?

I too, was inspired by the Long Way Round. and Down. Always loved the boxer engine...especially when the 1150's came out. Then watched that, I was hooked. I specifically remembered the part where they cross a river and a bike ingests water, they drain it, then it keeps on trucking.

Iv'e watched both of them a few times, off and on. after buying my bike. :)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Cafe_Chaser
Basic User

Post by Cafe_Chaser »

Thank you all for the welcome!

I'm a sucker for anything blue or green, so the BMW blue/green/turquoise had me at first glance.

Peels, absolutely about the boxer and the beating it took in that documentary; I started watching it the first weekend I picked up the 1150 and immediately couldn't wait to hit the *tarmac*.

I'm located in the western suburbs, about 40 minutes from Chicago (work in the city and commute, riding my moto a whole 2.25 miles every morning to the train station).

Agreed with the RIDE comments :smt004 was actually able to go out on a couple hundred mile ride yesterday on some state highways and side roads, and pretty sure I fell in love. The thrill of cruising down the highway, wind whipping, sun gleaming, the boxer smoothly fires below, as you observe new terrain is a pretty incredible feeling. Now its just a matter of a tune-up and building my "touring," endurance before I make the first long trek to Tennessee.
2004 BMW R1150R

2004 Suzuki GS500F
Cafe_Chaser
Basic User

Post by Cafe_Chaser »

Few pics from the weekend:

2004 BMW R1150R

2004 Suzuki GS500F
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

welp, looks like you get it then... welcome to the NONmadness.

fantastic photos. I always want to take pretty pics. but I rarely stop riding long enough to remember to do so :)

Just went through the Chicago area on the way to MI. That was my first BIG city experience on the bike. I had "avoid tolls" set on my google maps. But you can only avoid 80/94 for so long. hahah wasn't too bad riding through there, west side was ok... not bad....until the east side-94. off and on full stop traffic for an hour. at least the Gary Air Show was going on, i could watch some aerobatics :)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Cafe_Chaser
Basic User

Post by Cafe_Chaser »

Thank you sir! I may or may not be obsessed with my new bike/taking pics of her ;)

Yeah, driving in the city can be a bit nutty - I'm out in the suburbs and try to avoid the inner city for that very reason.

Changed all my fluids and am enjoying getting familiar with 'er:

2004 BMW R1150R

2004 Suzuki GS500F
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Welcome to the family. Nice bike with quality add-ons.

Bought my first Beemer while living in Naperville years ago. Rode to Aurora all the time for curves along the river.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

Cafe_Chaser wrote:Few pics from the weekend:

Are those "grills" in the oil-coolers ? Or just reflection ?
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

the 2004 R1150r is the only bike I've ever owned/ridden for an extended period of time. I paid $3500 from an Indy shop after recent maintenance at 20k miles. Did not include toolkit, battery tender, or any gear (helmet, jacket, pants, etc.) just the bike.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

Those "grilles" are actually the oil cooler bodies.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

So it is just reflection from the road-lamps then ? They look shiny ? almost like S/steel or chrome.
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

I've had mine for 3 seasons and LOVE IT and this group. The only issue is I need to replace stock seat. Too much of a nut crusher on trips. That doesn't look like stock, what is it? Can't zoom in tight enough on my phone to tell. Thx.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

skylarmav1 wrote:The only issue is I need to replace stock seat. Too much of a nut crusher on trips.
I have the exact same problem, what seat did you end up getting to resolve this?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

Cafe_chaser, change out your tires. This are not good. Specialy the rear tire. I did, and the bike is so much more fun to drive in curves and corners. With af-xied it (google) is also much easyer to ride in inner city.