My rear tire worns fast. Is it because the breaksystem?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Torsen
Basic User

My rear tire worns fast. Is it because the breaksystem?

Post by Torsen »

I used my bike 3 mounths last summer with new rear tire. But it will only last for one more season. I dont drive far away. Only drive local around.
Is it because the rear brake activated when I use frontbrake? Somethimes I can feel the rear end "danceing" a little when I use frontbrake.

The tire is Heidenau K60 Scout.
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Re: My rear tire worns fast. Is it because the breaksystem?

Post by EasyBee »

Riding a GS or an R? Is it because of the surface you're riding on, that you use this tyre?
Or is it the Mud & Snow version?

If you're just riding on regular (tarmac) roads, why would you? Scrambler look on your bike?
Or did they come with the bike, when you bought it?
They're more for off road and mixed usage than plain and simple on road use, especially in the wet, they are less grippy on tarmac (read that in German and Dutch reviews and comments).
Here's a review of the Scouts https://youtu.be/OnfutyKjGWA

Perhaps you're breaking too hard, the back get's a little lite and the rear wheel locks up. No ABS?
Accelerating fast? Burns rubber.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Assuming you have a set of matching tires, the rears quite always wear faster than the front. It does ALL the propulsion. AND, the rear of the bike carries most of the load.

nothing you can do about it.

I use continental rubber. rear goes somewhere around 6-7000 miles. front will last close to 8-9 or so.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

It is K60 Scout I use on a 1150R. I like to have the option to drive on gravel. I dont drive hard or burning rubber. Here in Norway the tarmac is like poo. Lots of holes, cracks and bumpy. On advriders.com they say it lasts "forever" if u use them like 70% tarmac and 30% gravel.
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

No tyre lasts forever. If your local conditions are tough then take local advice. If you ask about road tyres on this forum, you'll get a different response about tyre life from everyone - in my experience 4000 miles front and rear isaverage for me.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

In my experience tarmac in Scandinavia is rougher than for example the Netherlands and Germany. So tyres wear out faster. It's difficult to compare tyre wear in Norway with other countries. France is another example of rough tarmac on many roads. I wear out my tyres a lot faster in Scandinavia and France. In the Netherlands I ride 6000 miles with the rear and 10000 with the front tyre. When in France or Scandinavia it's more like 4000 on the rear and 8000 miles on the front. I have T30 EVO tyres.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Oh no ! Not another tyre thread ! !
Michelin Pilot Road 3 or the later version - 4.
Perfect for general road use, and impeccable in the wet.
Carry on boys......
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike