Windscreen Options

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Windscreen Options

Post by MikeCam »

My KR has the baby screen. Rich, you have the sporty screen? Kevin? Others?

Anyone with a pic and a ride report?

Looks, function, felt wind, turbulence, truck buffeting?

I am happy with the tiny screen up to 90 or so. Wondering if the other is a worthwhile addition.

Thx
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Deans BMW »

I have ridden two different K1200R's, one with the baby screen like you have and San Jose's Power Cup bike with a carbon fiber replica of the screen that Rich has. IMHO the Power Cup bike screen was vastly superior, tested to about 140 or so :wink:
Dean-O
Member #33
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Deano, is the Power Cup replica screen the same as the sport screen?

How would you rate the wind blast on the KR with the replica screen in comparo to the RR with a sport screen? & to your ST?
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Mike,

Generally I am not a fan of windscreens. I don't use the GIVI I had on my RR, preferring strait and uniform airflow. My brother has the large BMW screen on his RR, which to me makes the ride less involving than I like. I sleep naked too, but that's probably more information than you need to answer this question.

However, I love the sport screen on my KR. I'm glad it was on the bike in the showroom I bought or I wouldn't have ordered it. There is no buffeting or extra noise that I can tell and no edges in the airflow that crop up with other screens I have experienced. You know- that here you feel it, here you don't location that can be distracting. It also is nice, and probably necessary for those triple digit speeds I don't see nearly as often on the RR. I think it looks good too, in a distinctive kind of way. I don't know if the vertical grooves contribute to the function, but they look very fitting on the bike. I'm not as sure about the overturned paper pie plate appearance of the stock screen. (I don't have time to find and post pic while at work but you can go to the first page of the "K1200R First Ride Impressions" thread to see some good pics of my bike.)

If I didn't have it I probably would be posting about how I prefer going naked, but I have to admit that it is worth the $200 on the invoice I paid.

Kevin
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Socal, I belive that the Power Cup screen is a copy of the BMW sport screen, and it was just perfect for me.
Dean-O
Member #33
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I think they are identical, so unless your wallet is a glutton for punishment I wouldn't spring for the CF. The tinted plastic looks pretty good.

Member #37 - Lifer
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Agreed.
Dean-O
Member #33
utzguy
Basic User

Post by utzguy »

Another option:

http://209.61.235.222/Merchant2/graphic ... 162300.jpg

They are supposed to be releasing this for the K1200R. It looks interesting in black. I think it is somewhere between the standard guage protector and the sport screen in size.

DEU
DEU
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

What planet is that from? The shipping will probably be a lot. Looks perfect for the bike. Need pics of one mounted.

Member #37 - Lifer
utzguy
Basic User

Post by utzguy »

Aha! I knew there was a picture out there somewhere:

http://www2.i-bmw.com/photo/displayimag ... um=4&pos=4

http://www2.i-bmw.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=4

The link I posted earlier was from a US distributor, so shipping shouldn't be too outrageous.
DEU
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Thanks for the pics utzguy. I think it's pretty much of a toss up between the rakish otherworldly screen and the sport screen.

The next big question for me is the can. The one on the first link looks just like what I'm looking for. I don't see it on any of the Wunderlich thumbnails on the other link. The huge, hot silver stock can dominates the appearance a little too much for my tastes. So I'm looking for something smaller, cooler and black.

Anybody have any ideas where that one came from or other options?

Kevin

Member #37 - Lifer

Post by Guest »

Can is a Laser HotCam.
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Thanks mystery guest. I'm off to the Laser website.

Member #37 - Lifer
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Actually I didn't see that CF can on the Laser site. The HotCam there was silver and short and stubby, like on the BoxerCup Bike. The closest thing I've found to the one in the pic above was the CF Leo Vincent without the sticker. Anyone know if that's it? They only have one distributor in the U.S. and I couldn't find a price. Anyone have any experience with Leo Vincent or other suggestions?

Kevin

Member #37 - Lifer
camfarm

Speedster Screen

Post by camfarm »

Took a recently acquired Speedster Screen from the R1150R (don't like it there as much as my Cee Bailey's RT screen mod). Lined up with the baby screen holes fairly well (enough). Looks okay.

I'll test ride and report.
rivi7777
Basic User

Secdem now makes one...

Post by rivi7777 »

This past weekend it was my turn to play around with the video camera mounted on my beast :shock: - that's KR to you! I have the sport screen and removal is required for filming with the sportbikecam setup. I didn't find the lack of screen to be annoying at all. In fact I ordered the small clear one and may just use it as my shield of choice...

If you must and want an even larger option than the sport screen, check out this Secdem:

http://www.secdem.fr/CATALOGUE/sommaire ... ction.html

http://www.secdem.fr/CATALOGUE/sommaire ... infos.html
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Sorry Mike.. I have been away from the board a bit.

Yes, I do have the smoke sporty screen. It does a much better job of keeping the wind off. However, I think the way it conducts air to the sides contributes to a lot of wind pressure on the arms.

Overall I like it and it looks great.

COH (Rich)