A birthday present with lots of candle power.

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin Markwell
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

A birthday present with lots of candle power.

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I was actually favorably impressed with the stock headlight on the KR, but I was planning to add some type of additional lighting for any extra edge on road illumination and to increase my conspicuity. I love my Motolights on the RR, but they are probably too bulky to mount anywhere on the KR and I was investigating what I might mount under the oil cooler. I wasn't necessarily thrilled with the idea of changing Bender's countinance, so I was dragging my feet until the off season.

In other threads though I see that some new owners are less impressed with the performance of the unique headlights, so I'm writing tell you I have what I think is the best solution. My wonderful college age boys went together and got Dear Old Dad an HID kit for his 48th birthday. (All that means is they will be hitting up DOD for more cash more often for quite a while - but hey, it's the thought that counts.) They actually got a great deal from a friend that I'm assuming must be in the Chinese mafia, but I'm not asking questions. $210 for estimated retail value of about $350.

The thing is darn impressive. I only installed the low beam 6000k Blue-White 35watt portion of the double beam system. I'm not sure if a single light system is available. It is brilliant white, almost too glaring on direct view, but probably the best possible effect for those would be left turning blue haired mamas. It's like Mercedes HIDs, as apposed to the softer BMW automobiles and the very blue Audi HIDs. It casts a very bright, clean and broad beam that would probably consume whatever was thrown by any traditional driving lights. Visibility is now excellent by anyone's standards.

The best part is that it was very easy to install. Thank you, thank you BMW getting the battery out from under the tank. All the plastic parts come off very easily with the same star wrench and all you have to do is dremel the appropriate size hole in the back of the plastic dome over the back of the light housing to fit the rubber grommet that comes with the harness, seal with a little epoxy, zip tie the ballast on the inside of the head frame, then plug and play. I took my time and it took a little over an hour, but like everything else, it could be done in half the time once you've done it.

Anyhow, it is certainly worth considering if you are at all dissatisfied with the stock light and you want to kill the two lighting birds with one stone. I can now see and be seen. -- I knew I went through all that hassle raising those two guys for a good reason. :)
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

One minor detail missing, name and info on the unit you got for your birthday......please.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

The brand is Gech, but I Googled it and cannot find it. There is a little English on the box but most of the writing is in Chinese so I think this came from a small importation. If you Google HID and headlight you will find a selection of kits, the most well known brand being Phillips. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Kevin

Member #37 - Lifer
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Well, Then

Post by MikeCam »

How about some pictures of the install? Esp. the ballast mounting point?

And a comparo of brands that are available and how closely this "fell off the back of a truck" model from your sons matches one we mere mortals can get?

(All humor between us for those who read meanness and sarcasm into all posts.)
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Actually Mike, I believe it fell off the boat - directly from Hong Kong. I really don't have anything to compare to except to say that it is really bright. The Xenone headlights in my 2002 Audi S4 are much more blue and less wide spread. All I can recommend is a Google search.

This one was for a car so I actually sacrificed the long limb from the harness and have and extra ballast and bulb. I think Phillips makes one specifically for motorcycles.

Hard to get a good pic it’s so bright.

Shot from above to show the difference in color and brightness compared to stock highbeam.
Nothing to see.
Oh. There’s the entire street.
And there’s the neighbors yard. Perfect for rabbit hunting.
Ballast is 1x4x4 inch box, fits neatly against frame.
Must zip tie it back towards the tank to allow for full stearing motion.
Sorry I didn’t get pics during the install but it was really uneventful. Routing wires was easy. The harness fit under the right tank panel. The only skill part with potential for screwing up was drilling and dremelling the appropriate size hole in the back of the plastic housing, but any error could be corrected for with silicone caulking. What slowed me down the most was being gentle with the plastic panels which have a few interlocking pieces in addition to the star headed screws, but they came apart and went back together very easily. I would assume most after market kits would all be similarly straight forward.

Member #37 - Lifer
camfarm

Thanks

Post by camfarm »

Kevin,

Great pics. Thanks for the show.

Riding in today I found the spread to remain poor. Down the road is okay on Hi beam and usable on low beam, but the side of the road spread is simply missing. On corners, the light goes away (as in Up, Up and...)

Might have to investigate the HID alternative.

Mike
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

BMW (bikes not auto's) are famous (in my mind) for designing poor headlights. On my new K12RS, while riding double, in a long sweep at night I ran over an antelope. It had been hit and killed by something already. The first clue I had that it was there was when we were airborne. I had gone right over its rib cage. We actually landed quite softly. It was right after this I purchased MotoLights at Sturgis.

Your solution looks great, and without the "added stuff" look on the bike.
Frank