K1200R WX Protection Mods (TIC)

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

K1200R WX Protection Mods (TIC)

Post by MikeCam »

I am faced with my annual angst over weather protection and daily commuting in marginal shifting weather - chilly, wet, dark. Since I really prefer naked bikes, I usually achieve the protection from clothing - 'Stich outwear, heated underneath. And change at the client offices.

Anyone with recent experiences to share about the KR in rain, wet, cold, dark? Is it surefooted like the Roadster? Does the rain and cold make the experience too cumbersome?

After viewing the pictures of the supposed K1200GT, I am convinced I do not want that!

TIA

M
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
CupOHemlock
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by CupOHemlock »

Heya Mike!

Have you tried plugging a vest into the accessory port yet? My Gerbing draws more than 5A (so does my mini pump) and is quite useless at the moment. I heard if you start the bike and then plug in the jacket it will work... I also heard the opposite. Neither method works for me so I would love to hear your attempt.

I had a long rainy trip back from Gettysburg in September and I can attest that the bike performs well in the rain... provided you ride it like your 1150 and not a K1200R :) I cannot remember if you kept the stock flyscreen or not. I got the smoke sport screen and it does a decent job in the wind water category.

COH (Rich)
camfarm

Vest Electrics

Post by camfarm »

Rich,

I'll ask at Mortons and on the other board about the power port and older vest hookups....bound to be interesting answers.

I could live with a more modern BMW $$$elec vest I guess!

Thanks for the rain tips.

I used the speedster screen that I had tried and not liked on the Roadster for the KR. Fit and function are fine. A bit of felt wind and turbulence in different places across shoulders and helmet. I'll probably go back to the baby screen in spring.

Mike Cam
rivi7777
Basic User

additional accessory connections

Post by rivi7777 »

Check out Touratech's TPS 15 Canbus Output Helper which supplies switched power for 5 devices...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/BMW_R ... 298F1012FA

For purposes of adding a bit more wind and rain protection, Secdem produces a slightly larger windscreen for the KR that surpisingly looks pretty good: http://www.secdem.fr/CATALOGUE/sommaire ... ction.html

These pics are from K-Bikes.com and show better images with the larger screen installed:

Showing the increased coverage of the Secdem vs the sport screen...
camfarm

Skinny

Post by camfarm »

Rich,

Here's the data about the CANBUS port. BMW sent a bulletin (neither service nor tech-just plain ole') that states:

Max 3 amp draw. Key on. Cycle computer. Add load at port.

Reverse steps for finish. (Always remove the load before turing off the bike.)

BMW vest draws 3.3 amps!

Best solution is a separate power point.
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Mike,

Regarding winter handling, here is a cut and paste from a recent post of mine on the main board describing some winter fun:

---I actually used the ABS on the KR for the first time last weekend. Saturday morning Accuweather said the temperature in Bethesda MD, my starting point, was 41degF and in Pittsburgh, my destination, 41 degF, so being the simple minded rider that I am I thought I was golden. What I forgot was that the Allegheny Mountains are between Bethesda and Pittsburgh. So at the half way point a few thousand feet above sea level, the rain I had been riding through on I68 abruptly turned to sleet and in another mile or so into snow. I only kept riding because my exit was two miles ahead . Being smooth and steady I made it there okay, but it was an exit with an immediate stop sign on the ramp. The ABS allowed me to stay upright and straight enough that I could steer to the shoulder to avoid rear-ending the stopped cars with enough distance to stop before the intersection. I probably could have gently applied or pumped conventional brakes to do the same thing, but I may have just as easily got ---- (roostered) sideways or into some other unstable attitude, such as horizontal. I am sure an experienced rider would either have had the foresight to avoid such a situation entirely or could have braked just fine, but I'm still happy I had the ABS. ---

I was out in the rain today and had a couple definite microslips on city roads that I don't think I would have experienced on the RR. I just keep reminding myself to be reeeal smooooth with the throttle.

As regards the Gerbing gear, I don't have an adapter to convert from the hermaphroditic BMW connecter on the jacket to the cigsarette lighter on the KR. Do they exist and will it support my full Gerbing jacket with gloves? Thus far I've been using my new birthday present from my wonderful wife, the new BMW Tourgaurd jacket. Very pricy, but magnificently weather tight. Rode it 20 miles in hard rain today with nary a breeze or drop getting through.

Kevin
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
ncalK12R
Basic User

Post by ncalK12R »

I have a Kanetsu electric jacket liner for my Darien jacket, but it will not work on the KR power point...keeps tripping off. Will I damage the electrical system by wiring directly to the battery? It seemed to do no harm to my FJR, but the alt. output is also greater. I know this may be a simple question to some, but to a technodolt it matters! :lol:
Thanks in advance.
Rich
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Guys,

I am having a separate wiring harness installed Friday that will bypass the CANBUS and go direct to the battery with a 10A fuse. I will report back, but I am pretty sure this will let me use my Gerbing and my air pump again :)

COH (Rich)
ncalK12R
Basic User

Post by ncalK12R »

COH:
That is what I was going to do, but my liner draws 70 watts which equates to 5.833 amps..which is why the power port will not work; my question is really what effect that will have on the battery...don't want to be stuck out in the cold somewhere because I drained the battery! BTW, the folks at Sierra BMW (RENO, NV) told me the power port is rated at 5 amp output, so the BMW or the Aerostich vests (not jacket liners, tho) will work with the port as they only draw 3.0-3.3 amps (35 watts). Look forward to hearing of your results.
Rich
'06 K1200R
'03 FJR 1300