Fuel line clamp replacement, is this the one, and how many?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Fuel line clamp replacement, is this the one, and how many?

Post by DSKYZD »

Is this the type of clamp to use when replacing the leaky, recalled, OEM crimp clamps?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com ... 71_8664959

How many do I need?
What size, 5/16?

Can't ride for the snow so I have to spend quality time with her SOMEHOW!!

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
touchton
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by touchton »

That's the correct style of clamp. Don't remember the exact size, but you want the smaller of the two common sizes. To replace all the fuel line clamps you'll need 8. If I remember correctly, the only ones that were problematic are the two at the tank. Those are the only ones I replaced.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Mine have been leaking extremely bad this winter. I need to replace mine too. Brian, where can you buy the good ones like in your picture?
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

Thanks Thad! This particular site has 3 sizes. The smallest is 1/4 inch, that small?

John, this is the site:

http://www.autobarn.net/iddifuincl.html

It was the "I'm Feeling Lucky" link when I Googled "Fuel Injection Clamps".

I was going to try the local Autozone/Napa/Advance Auto places but wanted to make sure I knew what I looking for.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
touchton
Lifer

Post by touchton »

It may be the quarter inch. I've got a few in the garage, but I'm not at home. Can't remember the actual hose size either. I know you want the clamp to have the ability to tighten down to the hose's ID. I should be back home tomorrow night and I'll try to remember to look for the clamps.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Yes, I think you're right about the 1/4 inch. I used the same ones for the fuel filter changeout but they are inside my tank now. I DO remember hearing that these clamps should be screwed all the way down. That is how they are made to work.
Bobby549
Basic User

clamps

Post by Bobby549 »

13mm or 14 mm will work, and you can get them at most autoparts stores. Down here we have Autozone auto part stores, and they all have them. You'll need some end cutters to get the OEM clamps off.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0003J ... e&n=228013
[/img]
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

The clamps I used were as follows:

12-15mm OD - for use with 8mm ID fuel injection lines.

The nomenclature on the package says: "Smooth interior clamps designed for 12mm OD tubing, designated for fuel injection."

I got mine at Auto Zone - but any auto parts store would have them - just take your calipers with you and make sure they are 12-15mm OD - there is a larger size - but standard "fuel injector" tube clamps are what you want.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

OOPS! Started to take off for a ride today and smelled the smell that strikes fear in the heart of mankind. GASOLINE!

It was drip-drip-dripping! Ran back home quickly and took a look. Yeppers! It's that darn clamp problem. I should have just gone ahead and replaced those when I had the tank off last time. I am suspicious that they may have dripped some before unnoticed. What with the stained tranny cover and all. Oh well.

It's off to Auto Zone now. By the time I got home there appeared to be only one dripping. The lowest outside, below the QDs. But the others are not long for this world either.

So much for my nice riding day.
Bobby549
Basic User

Post by Bobby549 »

Unfortunately I haven't figured a way to remove those stains on the transmission case made by the leaking gasoline. I think the gasoline damages the clear coat.
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

Here's a question, and feel free to laugh at me if you want to, but what do you do about the gas in the tank when replacing these clamps? Can it be done without disconnecting the lines and letting gas get everywhere?

Then, if draining the gas is the proper first step, how exactly is that accomplished? Just unhook a fuel line and let it drain into a container? Seems obvious, but what's the best way?

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Bobby549
Basic User

Post by Bobby549 »

Replacing the clamps on the right side of the bike at the quick disconnects does not require draining the tank. Just have a rag ready because you will get a little bit out of the lines but it will stop.

But to answer your question, yes you can do it without disconnecting the lines.
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

Bobby,

How bad are the stains on your tranny? Mine are mostly hidden in the little pockets at the top. Annoying but not as bad as a big ugly yellow stain running down the side.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I've just returned from AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, and NAPA

Nobody had these animals except Advance and they didn't have the 5/16" ID size in stock. The ones in that AutoBarn ad are the same ones at Advance. Made by a company called "Ideal". Thus the part number IDE52F series numbers. Bills metric sizes for ID is 8mm and the Advance guys said thats 5/16" equivalent. Number IDE52F15. And they were out!

Now I gotta locate another Advance parts store. I did get me a pair of those little nipper pliers and have taken off two of the old ones already. I just need to find some new ones now.

Bill, if you're there. What was the brand of the ones you bought with the metric sizes on the package?
bmwkid
Basic User

Post by bmwkid »

The clamps are 8mm or 5/16".
If you are in a bind you can find them at any German auto dealer as they are very common..
If all else fails BMW uses them on the fuel lines for the older K series.
Bobby549
Basic User

Post by Bobby549 »

I'm sure I used 13mm fuel injector clamps on my 04 next to the quick disconnects.

The stains on my transmission case are not too bad I guess, but I see them. It left brown streaks.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

That's OD Bobby. The ID should be 8mm or 5/16". I noticed pretty quickly (just finished doing the bottom 4 BTW) that the line on the end of the QD is a larger diameter than the fuel line. The hose would not pull off with my fingers. I just left it and moved the other clamp up to that position from the end. Plus it wouldn't clamp down near all the way. So, to to it exactly right, the clamp to the ends of the QD are probably more like 3/8".
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

What I have been using with no trouble is the following:

IDEAL 52F15v

On the back it says "Fits 5/16" I.D. hose"

5/16" is also 8mm

They work fine on mine and believe them to be what you need.

I have four here - I can send them to you if you need them.

Bill

Boxer wrote:Bills metric sizes for ID is 8mm and the Advance guys said thats 5/16" equivalent. Number IDE52F15. And they were out!
Huntsville, AL
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I have four here - I can send them to you if you need them.
Thanks Bill, but I found some finally at an Advance Auto Parts place up by my school.

I replaced the bottom four already and will just wait until I have the tank off again to do the others. It was the very bottom one that was leaking this morning. I just missed my good sunny riding day. :cry:
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

Glad you found some - I had to go to three different stores to find them - I bought extra and carry them with me as most of my riding buddies have BMWs - I have had to help two guys change out the clamps cause theirs started to leak while we were on a trip!
Huntsville, AL