California or the Desert??

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rph802
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

California or the Desert??

Post by rph802 »

I need to pick the brains of those board members in the know and/or located in CA or AZ/NV.

I have the first week of May off and am looking to go somewhere I havent been before and (of course) do it a motorcycle. Obviously BMW is preferred but wouldnt mind trying something from our Italian or Japanese brethern.

What I had in mind was either a ride up (or down) the PCH or something starting in the Grand Canyon and possibly ending in Vegas. These are the typical ideas that my limited knowledge of that area of the country can come up with. I'm looking for info on renting a bike, places to stay and places to avoid from the locals.

Any other ideas and suggestions will be gladly entertained.

Thanks all!!

Craig
Life is too short to use cheap toilet paper :D
Member #457
95 R1100R Red
Rick Lee
Basic User

Post by Rick Lee »

I rented a 1200GS from Las Vegas BMW in January and rode out to Valley of Fire State Park. Unreal scenery! $180 a day and worth every penny. Call and ask for Troy.
Lupo
Basic User

Post by Lupo »

Go to Pashnit.com and check the Pashnit Tours.
dragonmojo
Basic User

NorCal

Post by dragonmojo »

Let me know if you plan on being in the Northern CA area (I am in Sacramento). Many roads up here that I can show you, depending on the weather (unlike SoCal, we have seasons up here).

Alan
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
bubbleman21
Basic User

places to ride in ca

Post by bubbleman21 »

all of cali has awesome places. way too many to mention. nocal has tahoe. if you are in the central valley, take 198 east to west. that takes you from the sequoias to one of the twistiest roads around. from there jump on the 101 south to socal & the rock store. alot of people love the 1. for me, it's got too many rv's & looky lues. at any rate, you should have fun. peace
crashfaster
Basic User

Post by crashfaster »

Big Sur in Northern California is amazing. You couldn't go wrong taking the PCH. There's a lot of amazing roads and lush, beautiful scenery.

If you are looking for desert, you may want to look into Joshua Tree, in the Southern California. The state park is filled with high-desert beauty.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Here you go. I did this a few years back. First time in California. I rented a bike in San Jose. That guy isn't there any more, but there are others in that area. Great ride.

2002 Cal Trip
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
cbesey
Basic User

Post by cbesey »

ditto the thumbs up for the PCH. I ran SF to Santa Barbara today, doing Monterey to San Luis Obispo on Hwy 1 - totally gorgeous and even minimal traffic, which is something of a rarity. The rainy season is mostly over by then; hopefully the wind will die down as well. Near Gaviota (380 miles into the day) I got some major gusts - already leaned over a good 20 degrees to keep it straight and the blast practically twitched me off the road a few times - serious pucker! :shock:

Check out Pasnit.com for an in depth run down of CA roads. It costs $20 or so to get access but will be worth it if you're going to spend a week.

I had a good experience renting from Dubbelju in SF. No relation to the company. I decided to by an R based on the rental. Actually, it was being retired out of their fleet to make room for a 1200, so I bought the rental.
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

Long Beach BMW in Long Beach, California, also rents motorcycles. I don't know the rate though, but it seems like a good joint.

I don't know of any place that rents Italian stallions and there are a couple of places that rent Japanese crotch rockets. Harley-Davidson rentals are a dime a dozen at their various stores or at Eagle Rider. But why would anyone want to ride a Hardly-Ableson along the PCH twisties is beyond me.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
Lupo
Basic User

Post by Lupo »

No cost to check PASHNIT.COM You can check photos of areas or check out the tours. I think you can even rent a bike thru the web site. I lived/rode in California most of my life and trust me, You'll never see it all. Check some sites, follow links and go explore what looks right for you. Weather is a big factor that time of year. California stretches from the tropical South to the lush North, not to mention elevations. Weather forcasts, forget it. Being next to the ocean anything can and does change. Whatever you decide, You'll have a great adventure, enjoy.
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

PASHNIT.COM charges $20 now to view the 'moto roads'' WELL worth it though. The Pacific Coast Highway, no one in NorCal calls it PCH, is a great ride. If you make it to Las Vegas you might as well head into Southern Utah for a trip to 'Motorcycle Heaven'. Specifically SR 12 from Bryce to Torrey and then down through the Lake Powell area.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
WileyRufus
Basic User

Post by WileyRufus »

Don't miss Point Lobos State Park, just south of Carmel. It's one of the most spectacular spots on the coast that you can ride/hike around in.
Jerry 2007 R1200R
orbea54
Basic User

Central Cal-Big Sur

Post by orbea54 »

I will be guiding 17 motorcycles this weekend on a 3 day Central Coast Tour of California with Pashnit.com. As some have said on this thread, Big Sur is simply amazing for motorcycles. I will take some pics and if I can learn how to do it properly, post some pics from the trip on here.

The selling point for the Pashnit tour is the cost is reasonable compared to other companies. Gas, food and lodging cost are on your own. You pay a Tour Fee to Pashnit and Pashnit takes care of the routes, reservations at your hotels, planned lunch stops, you just show up and ride for three days. Its a great experience to meet people from all walks of life but all have a common love for motorcycling. A group of strangers meet on Friday morning and all become friends in a matter of hours for the next three days. Try it!

PM me if you have any questions.
rph802
Lifer

Post by rph802 »

Thanks for all the info guys!! Great as usual!!

Flying into San Francisco Friday. Picking up an R1200R at Dubbleju Saturday. Pashnit did have some interesting tours but I prefer the lone rambling mode. Dubbleju;s rates are pretty impressive for new bikes and even has an older, 2000+ (I think) R1100R and K75 for those looking to save some dough.

So much to see and do and I'm gonna try to fit in alot in just a week. Hey how bad can a week off in CA on a new 1200R be??

Thanks again!!
Life is too short to use cheap toilet paper :D
Member #457
95 R1100R Red
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Just come back from holiday California, Arizona and Nevada.
Driving a car though. Country is vast and air conditioned car with cruise control was the best way to go. Took 10 hours to drive from Palm Springs via Prescott to Grand Canyon.
The Weaver Mountains , south of Prescott, Arizona would have been fun on a bike.
Valley of Fire was pretty interesting in a red sort of way - attended an outdoor wedding there. Joshua Tree National Park is prettier IMHO with more plants and animals and saw Harleys there.
Hope locals can advise more positively.
Still got jet lag!
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin