Side Case Clean-up?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Side Case Clean-up?

Post by pebmr »

What's the best way to clean up all those minor scuffs and scrapes from the side cases? Have not yet tried anything, and they're not bad enough to need a painting. Black shoe-polish? A thick Sharpie? ???
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
MartinW
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Side Case Clean-up?

Post by MartinW »

I have used some very fine steel wool to clean any scuffs and then applied some black automotive trim restorer.

It tends to leave a slightly smooth surface and I haven't yet discovered a way of restoring the original slightly-dimpled effect.
Life Member #551
02 Blue BMW R1150R non-ABS
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

pebmr wrote:What's the best way to clean up all those minor scuffs and scrapes from the side cases? Have not yet tried anything, and they're not bad enough to need a painting. Black shoe-polish? A thick Sharpie? ???
I just had the opportunity to do a little cleanup on my cases. What worked well for me was a somewhat used Scotchbrite pad and Armorall. I spray the case and give it a good rub. It cleaned off the boot scuffs and restored the black color. It does as previously mentioned, make the finish a little snoother.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I would be very careful about using Armor All. Besides the fact that it is too shiny (just personal preference) I have heard that it can damage plastic because it uses raw silicone oil. However, it is difficult to find facts on this. There are lots of opinions out there on the internet, though.

This looks scientific, for example
http://yarchive.net/electr/plastic_identifying.html
I know of one particularly nasty case where the solvent in Armor-All caused major damage to ABS plastics.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
digga
Basic User
Donating Member #: 600

Post by digga »

FWIW

I just bought some used cases and they were a little scuffed where they had been put down on concrete or similar (when loaded i would imagine!)

I used a fine wet/dry paper, 1200 grade and a spray of WD40 to lubricate... it took most of the sharp edges off, wiped over witha 'Back to Black' auto preperation.. looks ok.
The scuffs are much less noticeable now.

Digga
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

rdsmith3 wrote:I would be very careful about using Armor All. Besides the fact that it is too shiny (just personal preference) I have heard that it can damage plastic because it uses raw silicone oil. However, it is difficult to find facts on this. There are lots of opinions out there on the internet, though.

This looks scientific, for example
http://yarchive.net/electr/plastic_identifying.html
I know of one particularly nasty case where the solvent in Armor-All caused major damage to ABS plastics.
Now that I think of it, WD40 might be a good choice for this. It will dry and not leave a film, (much) Won't be shiny anyhow. I have never heard of Armorall damaging plastic, or other Silicones for that matter. I've use all sorts of silicone products in aircraft applications, but of course compatability is watched pretty close in those types of applications.
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

Thanks for the tips! WD-40, some fine sandpaper, $4 worth of Back to Black, and about 15 minutes time and the cases look almost new. I didn't go overboard on the sanding, but it took out the major scuffs and they look pretty good. A little buffing today, adding the BMW emblems coming soon, and they're ready to go.
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
NCPadgett
Basic User

Post by NCPadgett »

Not to steal the thread, but along the same lines - what does everyone use to lubricate the locks on the cases. I seem to use one more than the other and it seems as if its starting to get stiff. Be safe.
Padgett -
2004 Midnight Black R1150R
Boxer04
Basic User

Post by Boxer04 »

I have used extremely fine wet and dry paper for initial clean up. I then use a good Ameican product available here (Australia) called 303. It has NO SILICON and protects the cases from the harsh effects of the sun. I like it and it works for me. I clean the cases and rub with 303 every couple of months. I think they look great (like new).

Just as an aside - dont use 303 on your seat. It is a great vinal protector but boy do you slip around! I had to spend a bit of time getting mine off with water and a rag.
BoxerFan
'04 R1150R
Member #588
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Padgett,
I would use powdered graphite in the lock. Leaves no oily residue. I'm sure a shot of WD-40 would do the trick as well.
Buckster '03R
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

I use McGuires Back-to-Black with good results.

PW
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

303 is great stuff! I use it on all sorts of rubber parts all the way up to my spa cover. Strangely enough I buy it at my local Toyota dealer.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

NCPadgett wrote:Not to steal the thread, but along the same lines - what does everyone use to lubricate the locks on the cases. I seem to use one more than the other and it seems as if its starting to get stiff. Be safe.
When I rekeyed my locks I coated everything with some gray lithium grease left over from a garage door install. It works very well. if I didn't want to take the locks apart and just needed a little lube/water displacement I would give it a snort of WD40 or LPS-1.
dnat928

Post by dnat928 »

I know you stated that you were not ready to step up to a Side Case paint job, but get this. My used cases just didn't look good, and it seemed that no type of automotive blacking agent would work - they quickly returned to a grayish/oxidized look. :(

I decided to try some paint. I knew that flat or gloss black wouldn't look good. I found some matte black at Home Depot. I did some minimal masking of the lock with tape and sprayed some on...WOW - they were going to look better than new! I just kept on going. Ended up giving both cases a LIGHT coat of the matte black. No doubt about it, they look BETTER than new - no graying any more. And is was very easy.

Before, I was trying all that cleaning/blacking stuff. Now, just a quick swipe with a damp cloth to knock off the dust and they look great.
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

dnat928:

What type of paint did you use, was it a special paint for plastics?
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
dnat928

Post by dnat928 »

It was not any type of special paint. The label stated that it would work on metal or plastic, pretty typical spray paint...good enough for a try. The key was the matte (non gloss or non flat).
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I just use Simple Green when I wash the bike, and there are not any noticeable marks.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!