Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

adg44
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Post by adg44 »

I assume a lot of you here are using this...

I am planning some longer rides on my bike, and thus I ordered a touring windsheild, and now I'm considering the cruise control.

So my questions are - does it actually work? And, do we want the standard or heavy end weights? I would assume the heavier ones would be a better bet.

Also, where should I order this from? Any place we know that has these in stock? I think I'll do the black ones as opposed to silver.

Thanks,

- Anthony
owldaddy
Lifer

Re: Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Post by owldaddy »

I just installed one a month ago, it does work, and it is easy to use. The only issue I have with it is, when the heated grips are used on the high setting, the grips expand just enough to tighten the grip tension. Friction goes up, and the throttle lock will not relax and let go of the grip without more muscle applied to make a change in throttle position. The throttle is still able to be adjusted, but the "off" setting can not be achieved due to the increased friction on the grip. It is a minor annoyance that shouldn't make the bike less safe to ride, it just takes a little more effort to change throttle position, if you take a spill though, your throttle will be stuck until you pick yourself up and turn the engine off. I got mine at Santa Cruz BMW.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
RGuy
Basic User

Post by RGuy »

The Throttlemeister works just fine and looks nice. It doesn't work as well as the Flip a lever type that I have on the R65 but that type will not work on the Roadster. I believe the 'standard' Throttlemeister is already heavier than the stock bar end weights so that is the way I went. It is possible to adjust the Throttlemeister to work with the heated grips but will require you to be patient and fussy. Adjust it so it barely disengages when the grip heaters are on high. I think I took one of the shims and kept filing it down a bit at a time until I got the adjustment I wanted. I ordered mine directly from the Throttlemeister folks. http://www.throttlemeister.com/

I only use it when I need to rest my hand a bit on longer trips and NEVER in busy traffic or on crooked roads.

Neal
'81 R65
'04 R1150R
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I like the Kaoko throttle control. It is a well made product, and it works. But, I have not tried any alternatives.

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant ... OKO_CCF100
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
dnat928

Post by dnat928 »

My "R" came with the Throttlemeister - never noticed any effect from the grip heaters, so it must have been well adjusted previously. Anyway, it does indeed work well. I found that I relax BOTH hands when I engage it. You will notice any rises or drops in terrain - speed decreases or increases - so I keep the friction set so I can make minor adjustments if I want. Most of all, it helps reduct pilot workload. On long rides, I can enjoy the scenery a bit more, and enjoy the ride more.
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34
maduko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 735

Post by maduko »

I had a Throttlemeister on my Triumph, but lust for a Kaoko to put on my R.

The problem with the Throttlemeister is the smooth finish makes it difficult to engage/disengage. Looks nice. The Kaoko has those gear cog thingys so it should be (this is only theoretical) much easier to adjust.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

I use a Bob's Wrist Rest http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?Page ... =GO&Page=1simply because one of the folks in my local BMW group had taken it off his bike and wanted only $35 for it. It is very similar to the TM unit and has the same drawback, namely that it is somewhat tricky to actually lock/unlock the tension ring. I have a Crampbuster as well which makes adjusting things a lot easier. The Kaoko cog-type ring looks like a better design but I'd bet that a crampbuster would help there as well. If you go with the TM, these guys seem to have the best price: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mer ... tlemeister

As others have reported, a throttle lock is only moderately useful since it's not a true cruise control and will require more or less constant readjustment. Still, on longer rides, they provide welcome relief and IMHO, are a worthwhile accessory.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
maduko
Basic User

Post by maduko »

The problem with the Wrist Rest is they turn the wrong way. The Throttlemeister locks when it turns the same direction as opening the throttle. Duh.

And I agree on the Crambuster/Throttle Rocker, simple and effective. But on a long ride a throttle lock is an excellent accessory to have.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

I have the Kaoko and like it very much. It is easy to set b/c the cog wheel is reverse threaded so counter-clockwise (accelerate) tightens it if you over-grip the grip+cog, and contrarywise, CW loosens it. That's probably the way the 'meister works too, right? I've also found I can set it using my pinky, so I don't have to be accelerating to set it either. On the original installation it was too tight, so I installed a thin washer inside the bar-end to hold it a little further out off the grip. Worked like a charm. When running heated grips it "tightens up" a bit, but its not at all difficult to re-adjust.

I've found I really only use it on long, straight, flat runs where constant speed is easy to attain. If you're going up and down hills or where you have to modulate your speed much you have to constantly work against the added friction---you end up with more wrist fatigue than without it in those situations.

-d.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
cruiser
Basic User

Post by cruiser »

I've got a Throttlemeister fitted. It looks great in polished stainless steel, but... it's very difficult - imo dangerously so - to engage/disengage whilst riding - a third hand would be useful!. The inabilty to enage/disengage easily whilst riding renders the device almost useless, imo. Holding the throttle open and trying to tighten/loosten the thing at the same time is practically impossible and, believe me, I've tried! Consequently, I never use it for its intended purpose. On previous bikes I used an alternative system - forget the make - with a flip lever, which was much more effective as a throttle lock, easy to adjust, and a pleasure to use.

For me, the whole point of these mechanical 'cruise controls' is to be able to engage/disengage them easily - and safely - when riding conditions allow, mainly to enable one to flex one's throttle hand, especially during long motorway stretches. I cannot, in all honesty, recommend the Throttlemeister.

...just my 2 cents
Mike in Hamburg
2004 black R1150R... and a 1930 Thürmer grand piano - heaven!
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I use a large rubber o-ring partially installed in the gap for enough friction for throttle control. Works fine and costs about a quarter!

I use GS handguards in the winter and take them off in the spring. That would require two different sets of throttle controls. Too much $$ and trouble. My o-ring is universal fit! ;)
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

wncbmw wrote:I use a large rubber o-ring partially installed in the gap for enough friction for throttle control. Works fine and costs about a quarter!

I use GS handguards in the winter and take them off in the spring. That would require two different sets of throttle controls. Too much $$ and trouble. My o-ring is universal fit! ;)
The Kaoko works with and without the hand guards. You can engage it and disengage it with your pinky.

I tried something like an O ring (actually it was a girl's pony tail holder) but it is a little more fiddly to use. Of course, it is much cheaper.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

I agree with both Rdsmith3 and Duckdave on the Kaokos. The knurled ring makes adjustments easy with the pinky while riding. It's the main reason I choose it over the Throttlemeister. IMO the Throttlemeister looks better...more like the original bar ends but I'd rather have function over form with something as important as a throttle lock.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

The Kaoko works with and without the hand guards. You can engage it and disengage it with your pinky.
I believe you but I still bet it costs more than a quarter! ;) Heck, I even carry spares in the tank bag!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Hendrikus
Basic User

Post by Hendrikus »

This cruise control is from Wunderlich, and i enjoy them verry much. these are make from aluminium and do corrode a little bit :?

Now i can wave to fellow riders with both hands :smt041

one concern to me is what will happen incase of an accident? Throttle half open, it will run for miles?
2001 r1150r fast blue, sold
2001 r850rtp polizia municipale Milano
2005 r1150r dark silver
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Now i can wave to fellow riders with both hands
Careful with that waving! :P

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13617
Vann - Lifer No. 295
cruiser
Basic User

Post by cruiser »

Further to my earlier post in this thread... how does one turn throttle locks like the Throttlemeister - SAFELY! - whilst, at the same time, holding the throttle itself steady? My experience with the Throttlemeister is that it's extremely awkward and hazardous to do so.
Mike in Hamburg
2004 black R1150R... and a 1930 Thürmer grand piano - heaven!
maduko
Basic User

Post by maduko »

cruiser wrote:Further to my earlier post in this thread... how does one turn throttle locks like the Throttlemeister - SAFELY!
Scooch your hand out a little. Grip the Throttlemeister and throttle simultaneously and twist `er open. At least that's how I always used mine. And that's why the Wrist Rest thing struck me as a poor alternative. The better units are LH thread.

Other riders have expressed a fear it would lock the throttle- but mine never gripped it that tight.

In fact, I used it even on hilly terrain because you can still move the throttle. It just takes the strain off your right hand because it requires MUCH less grip.
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

cruiser wrote:... how does one turn throttle locks like the Throttlemeister - SAFELY! - whilst, at the same time, holding the throttle itself steady? My experience with the Throttlemeister is that it's extremely awkward and hazardous to do so.
I usually pull in the clutch, tighten the Throttlemeister, then let out the clutch as I advance the throttle. I can also hold the throttle steady while I tighten the 'meister with my little finger. Either way is fine. Having the heated grips on changes the setting, but it still works.
Last edited by awagnon on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

wncbmw wrote:I use GS handguards in the winter and take them off in the spring. That would require two different sets of throttle controls. Too much $$ and trouble. My o-ring is universal fit! ;)
Not actually. I bought a Throttlemeister set on eBay that wasn't intended for use with the GS handguards. I managed to adapt them as I explained in this thread: http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.p ... 05#p119805

I can use it with or without the guards. I also use an "O" ring in the red groove to make it easier to apply it one-handed.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585