Beating a dead horse! R vs. RT

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Grabow
Basic User

Beating a dead horse! R vs. RT

Post by Dr Grabow »

Greetings everyone...yes, this has been discussed but I'd still appreciate anyone's input. Yes, I've also reviewed the prior posts on this topic.
Out here in Wyoming, with frequent rides into the Rocky Mountains and highway speeds of 85-90 mph just to keep up with traffic, I just can't shake the feeling that an RT would have been better than the R. The other weekend, for example, with a ride into the mountains, the weather varied from sunny low 60's, to horizontal rain/hail/high winds at 8400 ft., to 52 and cloudy in Laramie, to 74 and sunny in Ft. Collins, all in just over an hour. I was miserable despite good riding gear. I LOVE my '07 R. But I've now test-ridden the RT a few times and my impression is that is just a *little* bit heavier and a *little* bit less perky, with way, way better comfort.

So my big decision is whether to keep the R (I've got a Cee Bailey's windshield) or shell out the bucks for an RT. Anyone who has had/has an RT care to make any comments on why I might regret that decision? Thanks for your time.
kudzu
Lifer
Donating Member #: 624

Re: Beating a dead horse! R vs. RT

Post by kudzu »

Dr Grabow wrote:I LOVE my '07 R. But I've now test-ridden the RT a few times and my impression is that is just a *little* bit heavier and a *little* bit less perky, with way, way better comfort.
Some might quibble about the meaning of "*little*," but if that is your impression, that is what matters to you. With that in mind and assuming by "comfort" you mean protection from the elements, I think you have got it exactly right as to "perky" vs. "comfort." If comfort is what is most important, the RT would serve you better. The RT is certainly "perky" enough for most. The question, however, is are you giving up anything important to you besides comfort? And, that depends on the type of riding you prefer or that is necessitated by your location and climate.

Not that I couldn't or wouldn't ride my R, if I were setting off to ride hundreds of miles per day, particularly if weather might be an issue, I would choose to ride my RT. OTOH, just noodling around locally and day rides are more fun on the R. Even though the RT is quite peppy and nimble, I think the R is more fun in the twisties. Both are great bikes, by design, they just have different natures.

Some, especially in this forum, would argue that the R is a more versatile all-around bike than the RT. I can go either way on that arguement. So, unless your riding is heavily weighted towards one "type" of riding or you want two bikes, you have a tough decision!

Keep us posted.
Ernie Middleton
'08 R1200R (Black) - Back to Basics!
r12r-don
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by r12r-don »

I had a 2000 R1100RT so I cannot comment on the new R's performance. Side note: I liked the curves of the previous body better.
Anyway, when I had the RT I truly loved it for long distance traveling. However, whenevere I arrived at excellent back roads I yearned for something leaner. I did a cross country trip on the RT, 3 weeks, 9,000 miles from New York to California (southern route out, northern route back). I wouldn't have done it on another bike.

However, the R12R is EXACTLY what I've been yearning for. I like the open air much better. I hit the super slab to get to new riding areas and don't mind it. I have just a small sports screen and it is just fine for me. The seat is the only thing I would change and that is on my list. I also don't plan any 3 week cross country trips any time soon so that is a factor.

On the other side, the fellow who bought my RT called me 2 months later and was ecstatic on how amazing it was taking it to Deal's Gap and handling the twisties when he gets there.

The R12R is the ultimate all around bike but when you start talking touring you're on the edge of what the R is for in my mind. I know folks tour on it and I would too on occassion, but there are other bikes better designed for it.

Me personally, the decision was open air and the perky engine. The engine and stance is what swayed me from a used R1150R.

Not sure if this was helpful or just used up space. Best of luck.
toronto.gal
Basic User

Post by toronto.gal »

Well this is exactly the debate going around my kitchen table.

My husband and I both own F800STs which we dislike - riding position, engine, the works. Our punishment for buying a bike without riding it. We were so excited by the reviews and the fact that we would have had a long wait if we insisted on a demo ride we went ahead.

Never mind all that -

So we are buying two new bikes and it has come down to the RT or the R. My husband prefers the RT because he likes the protection, the view of the big dashboard, the comfort, etc. I rode the RT and I didn't like the protection, the view of the big dash, the additional weight.

However the RT handles very nicely, is nimble for a big bike, is well balanced, has great torque, and rides like a dream.

The R is more open and feels (to me anyway) more like a bike and less like a car. The reason I don't want an RT or an LT for that matter is that when I go touring I want to know I'm close to the road and the outside. I go on long rides - over two weeks with thousands of miles - and I would not want to be on an RT unless it rained for the whole time. As for twisties - I did a few on the RT and it was great. I did the same ones on the R and it was awesome.

So it comes down to whatever makes your heart sing.

Good luck - either way you're getting a great bike.
Judy
2007 F800ST
2008 R1200R in my dreams

www.showroomtrafficmanager.com
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

toronto.gal wrote:Well this is exactly the debate going around my kitchen table.

My husband and I both own F800STs which we dislike - riding position, engine, the works. Our punishment for buying a bike without riding it. We were so excited by the reviews and the fact that we would have had a long wait if we insisted on a demo ride we went ahead.

Buy one of each and alternate.
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

Dr Grabow wrote:Greetings everyone...yes, this has been discussed but I'd still appreciate anyone's input. Yes, I've also reviewed the prior posts on this topic.
Out here in Wyoming, with frequent rides into the Rocky Mountains and highway speeds of 85-90 mph just to keep up with traffic, I just can't shake the feeling that an RT would have been better than the R. The other weekend, for example, with a ride into the mountains, the weather varied from sunny low 60's, to horizontal rain/hail/high winds at 8400 ft., to 52 and cloudy in Laramie, to 74 and sunny in Ft. Collins, all in just over an hour. I was miserable despite good riding gear. I LOVE my '07 R. But I've now test-ridden the RT a few times and my impression is that is just a *little* bit heavier and a *little* bit less perky, with way, way better comfort.

The biggest selling BMW (and I am told the biggest selling bike in England period) is the R1200GS. Long legs for touring, good weather protection, excellent performance and handling, boxer motor, and good off road manners too. If I was living out in Wyoming near all that dirt, and only wanted to own one motorcycle I'd be really tempted to buy a R1200GS.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
Dr Grabow
Basic User

Post by Dr Grabow »

Already have an F650GS for all that dirt :D ... but I do appreciate all the replies. Still thinking ....
Dr Grabow
Basic User

Post by Dr Grabow »

I did have an R1200GS a few years ago. On a lot of the fire roads and trails up in the foothills there is a lot of sand that is the size and shape of BBs. The 1200GS was just a bear in that stuff and I dumped it several times. On the 650GS, though, it is no problem. I guess there's an example where a hundred pounds or so of weight really does make a difference.
toronto.gal
Basic User

Post by toronto.gal »

Well that's exactly the plan - buy one of each - I can ride both and my husband can ride his.

Seems fair to me.

TG
Judy
2007 F800ST
2008 R1200R in my dreams

Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

As a longtime K-RT/LT rider, I understand the pull of the rapid tourer ... but I'm with Toronto Girl. The R-R is as capable as the RT for most things, and has more of that in-the-landscape feel that I ride for. I've done over a week of middling days in open country (700 - 1000km on Aussie flatland and low mountains) and not been too fatigued

It's very easy to add a screen, hand guards and foot shields to the R-R - with my Parabellum 22" screen and Wunderlich foot shields, and the the width of the tank itself, the worst of the weather missess me. And it's only 10 mins to take all that off in summer. This setup is good for 140-160km/h open road touring - I don't really notice the screen putting wind pressure on the 'bars. I'm also not much bothered by cross-winds (and I'm a very nervous nellie!).

... but that's off major highways (and anyway we're effectively limited to 120km/h - 75mph - on ours). If I had to contend regularly with truckwash, bad sidewinds at speed, etc, I think I'd prefer the security of a wind-tunnel tested, integrated, frame mounted fairing. I suspect you'd be much fresher in the fairing envelope of the R-RT after a few freeway hours than on a cobbled-up screen (etc) combination on the R-R. I've done long high-speed days on a K1100LT (1500km at 180-200km/h, before speed limits were introduced to teh Northern Territory - aussie outback) and probably wouldn't want to do that on my R.

Ride both. I'll bet you find the R-R is a lot more fun, and much more of a close-to-the-road, out in the landscape feel. That's what I ride for these days ...
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Just my quick two cents. I just had this discussion this weekend. I love the R and it will be in the garage for a long time. I'm used to heavier machines and had a hard time with the R1200R while riding in heavy commuter traffic (ie; in New Jersey = high speed 80+ and close) it just didn't feel planted. It's a small price to pay for all the good points (I won't waste the space to list them) of the bike, but if we're nit picking there's my nit.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

A lot of good advice here, but I think your question sort of answers itself. The R isn't getting it done for you and the RT would. You, yourself make that clear. So really there is no reason for your dilemma. Buy the RT.

Bill
toronto.gal
Basic User

Post by toronto.gal »

Well said. If you have the cash - buy the bike you love - if its an RT then go for it.
Judy
2007 F800ST
2008 R1200R in my dreams