Still waiting for my front Michelin Pilot Road 2

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

PA Rider
Basic User

Still waiting for my front Michelin Pilot Road 2

Post by PA Rider »

Has anyone else had trouble getting a front Michelin Pilot Road 2 for their R1150R? I have been waiting over two months for the front while the rear tire was immediately available. Why do they advertise products that are not readily available? :(
2003 R1150R
Rockosmith
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Still waiting for my front Michelin Pilot Road 2

Post by Rockosmith »

The PR2's were available last winter and this spring. I bought and wore out two sets since Dec. '07. Now however, there seems to be a problem getting the fronts. I am going to try a PR2 on the rear with the regular PR on the front. I have no idea what the problem may be.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I would get the PR 1 front, too. I would also contact either swmototires.com , or ironpony.com and check the availability there.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Ritchard
Basic User

Post by Ritchard »

I am also waiting for one. It's been some weeks; I don't think I will be enjoying my new front until spring.

Rockosmith, what kind of mileage are you doing to go through 2 sets of tires in 11 months?
My favourite website:
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I've had my PR2's on for almost a year now and although I'm happy with the front I will not use them again on the rear.

I've developed this awful vibration when I lean from side to side due to a type of uneven wearing or feathering towards the sides of the tire.

I must have pushed them too much when new and the softer compound on the sides wore more than normal.

Has anyone else found this?

DJ
Boxer04
Basic User

Post by Boxer04 »

I have had the same problem as DJ. The front was much worse than the rear. The vibration for me was only on low speed corners and you could feel it clearly. Even went and showed the tyre dealer and asked about tyre pressures etc. Seems "a lot of them do that"

I could not get a PR2 front when I needed a tyre for a BMW Safari. I ordered from a large supplier a month ahead but I had to settle for a Pilot Road Sport for the front and a PR2 for the rear. This has turned out to be a good combination. Good turn in and wear rate is even across the tyre and looks ok at this point (about 6000km)

I have spoken to several RT owners who have had the same problem. Several are trying the Continentals. They seem to have more even wear patterns and no scollops.
BoxerFan
'04 R1150R
Member #588