Fuel consumption? how far can you go...

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

phishbone2501
Basic User

Fuel consumption? how far can you go...

Post by phishbone2501 »

Hi All. I trust you had a good xmas and looking forward to the new year.
I recently purchased my r1150r and took her for a really good run yesterday, first chance ive had. Great ride and an incredible bike.
Down to business...I managed to get 180 miles out of the tank and that was with playing petrol bingo, the light came on so i pushed it further. The 2nd light came on and stayed on, I still went further. I gave in at the 180 miles mark not wanting to do the walk of shame. Now I know bmw quote a 200 mile range on the bike, Is this true?
Has anyone done better than me?
timl
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fuel consumption? how far can you go...

Post by timl »

I've got the Rockster subspecies of R1150R (distinguishable by its coloring and lack of a prominent beak) which I believe has the same gas tank but perhaps different gearing. The farthest I've ever gone is about 165 miles, but I've never pushed it and I'm dreadfully afraid of running out of fuel. The low fuel light typically comes on between 140 and 150 miles, and I normally get 39-42 mpg. The 1.3 gallon reserve could provide an additional 50-55 miles. In theory I can see getting 200 miles out of a tank. But then I'd have to push it to a gas station, so in practice that's not very useful.

You mention a 2nd light. I never knew there were 2 low fuel warnings. How does that work?
2004 Rockster
phishbone2501
Basic User

Post by phishbone2501 »

yeah, in the manual it states that when the reserve is hit a light comes on to notify you of your last gallon of gogo juice. ive found that another light comes on and stays on after a good 30 miles into the reserve. Now this may be an after market add on im unaware off but i had a similar set up on my old cagiva raptor.
How far am i willing to push this? lets see...
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

phishbone2501

The R1150R only has one light for reserve and its amber in color. In your case did you see the amber come on, then shut off and come on again? Or does your bike has to different lights? If it has two lights t is an aftermarket install.

A well tuned R under normal riding conditions will go 200 miles between fills, however, let it be known that the last of the fuel resides to the back of the tank where the shape of the tank makes it difficult for the fuel to go from the left side to the right side where the pump resides. This is only accomplished, if you run out of gas, by tipping the bike to the right without dropping it. At this stage it will only buy you a couple of miles max.

A more important thing to remember is that in tank fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel and don't like to be run dry, as both conditions affect the durability of the pump.

That being said it is best to run 160 to 170 miles on the tank and then look for gas, that way you can ride the bike the way is supposed to be ridden.....like you stole it, without having to worry if you are going to run out of gas.

My R, with mods returned 42-43 mpg reigiously and took between 3.9 and 4 gals to fill.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new ride. =D>
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
phishbone2501
Basic User

Post by phishbone2501 »

thanks for the reply and advice boxermania.
i must have an aftermarket add on. the guy who had it before me had already changed the exhaust. I would like to replace this with an original.
Will heed you advice and fill up near the 170 mile mark to be safe.
oiasghar
Basic User

Post by oiasghar »

On a trip to Florida (with bags and givi screen) I had my light come on around 190 to 210 miles pretty consistently. One tank I got to 212 and no light so pulled over and decided to fill up anyway. Yep! that was 53mpg and change. I averaged 50.5mpg for the whole trip. Low of 47mpg. It was all highway at 75/80mph indicated on a 2002 R1150R; remember this has the taller 6th gear.

Also, after the trip a fellow RR owner and forum member pointed out that I am missing the yellow CCP to activate the O2 sensor. That has now been fixed but have not noticed much difference in fuel consumption but then that may be because its somewhat cold now. You should be able to get 250 miles on a tank on the highway on a stock bike that is properly setup.

On a much recent trip (2 days, 1200 miles) to Arkansas on which the heated vest was never turned off, I managed 47mpg for the trip.

In town I am getting around 34mpg to 44mpg depending on my commute traffic and how cold it gets. So in town 170 to 200 miles is what I get out of a tank on my bike :)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by oiasghar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 BMW F800ST
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

If you expect to get 250 miles on a tank on one of our R's then part of that will be by pushing the bike. I have never heard of anyone getting more than 220 miles or so before a flameout. The tank holds 5.4 gal but you can't get all of that out. You might be able to access 4.5 gal.

I too have gotten 50+mpg but I have never pushed it past 200 miles before fueling up.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
spoon
Basic User

Post by spoon »

I think where you are plays a part in the consumption. I live in the 4 corners area, and at 7000 ft. I get 50 mpg area with bags and tour windscreen. A number of friends both cage and bike get better mileage than you would expect up here, considering the up and down of the elevation changes. A quick run this fall, 220 miles, in high wind (side and head on quartering) and I needed 4.2 gallons to fill up. This was interstate, 2 lane and city.
I would not have the power that you sea-level folks have, and I think the fuel injection is compensating and using less fuel because of the altitude. I would like to hear if others have similar experiences. :-k That is lower elevation vs high elevation. (not a thread hi-jack)
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Definitely, higher elevation leads to higher miles-per-gallon. Less oxygen, less fuel (less power, too, but also less air restance at speed.) The highest milage I ever got was 230.3 miles on a tank, with a 3.999 gallon fillup (57.5 MPG.) But that was across the high plain in Wyoming or Montana, altitudes up to 8000 feet for miles at a time.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
phishbone2501
Basic User

Post by phishbone2501 »

Hi all.
Many thanks for your replies. I have a very long ride out planned for new years day and will how we do with the gas. hope to push it to the 200 mile mark, if i can.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I can get around 200 miles to a tank on long highway runs but the light will come on around 150 to 160 for my more normal riding. Average around 40 to 42 mpg for fun stuff, close to 50 on interstate runs.

I did find out while riding with a fellow board member on the same bike that my light comes on much sooner than his, even though we would use the same amount of gas at fillup! I don't like pushing it too much, in order to avoid literally pushing it! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
oiasghar
Basic User

Post by oiasghar »

wncbmw wrote:
I did find out while riding with a fellow board member on the same bike that my light comes on much sooner than his, even though we would use the same amount of gas at fillup!
That is probably because the float switch on the R1150R (at least the 2002) has 3 or may be even four notches on the mounting plate. You can adjust (raise or lower), within a limited range, when the light comes on.
2009 BMW F800ST
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I refilled only once at over 200 miles, heading north and was just south of Carter Bar on the A68.The village petrol stations that I'd been banking on had all gone over the last 7 years or so. Started to wonder if I could coast into Jedburgh if all else failed.
IIRC I'd 2l left in the tank.Usually fill up ASAP when light comes on.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
phishbone2501
Basic User

Post by phishbone2501 »

wow. over 200 miles. great stuff.
well only a couple of days to go before its put to the test. Planned a really good run out for newyears day, nearly a 300 mile round trip so it will push the bike to the limits.
I havnt filled up for a couple of days and will pass the 140 mile mark, as I have a 70 mile commute to work each day, and the light hasnt popped on. I have riden carefull and tried to keep under the 70mph. Seems to be helping.
Very cold here though at the moment, those oil coolers come in handy to keep your hands warm.
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

The first long trip I went on got me well over 190 miles before the low fuel light came on; but I dropped down to the 160-170 range when I went back to normal countryside riding. I sort of like the 'ride it like you stole it' style, which is never going to yield best mileage results. When I'm looking for good mileage I drive my Civic like an old lady on qualudes.

DLS
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

When running in 6th gear (overdrive) on long, open, flat roads under 65mph my light won't come on for nearly 200 miles. But running around town the light comes on after only ~ 130 miles. And, if I fill up as soon as the light comes on, it takes exactly 4.1 gallons, so I figure I've got at least another useable gallon (actually 1.3 gallons according to the manual) to go about 50 more miles down the open road. And that's as far as I will go, since I don't want to push it (please pardon the pun) :badgrin: .
Rich
ADIOS!
phishbone2501
Basic User

Post by phishbone2501 »

HI ALL and a happy new year to you.
Well i managed 190 miles before the tank needed to be filled. that was averaging 70mph and some town traffic. Pretty good going but could be better.
lenwindham
Basic User

Post by lenwindham »

I recently -- not by choice -- rode my 04 Rockster to 195 miles on a tank. When I filled up, I put in about 4.5 gallons.
On highway trips avg 70mph, my light does not come on until around 160-170 miles. Daily commuting it comes on at about 145 miles.
Leonard Windham
04 Rockster