Computer question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

boxerpaul
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Computer question

Post by boxerpaul »

I haven't yet taken my bike back to the dealer after my first (unpleasant) experience with them at the break in service, so on my display there is a SERVICE indicator currently staring me in the face, which has been on since I passed 10000 km.

Does anyone know if this is a quick thing for the dealer to switch off and if so, do they typically charge you anything for the privilege?

Thanks,
Paul
2008 R1200R, Black
NakedRider
Basic User

Re: Computer question

Post by NakedRider »

Probably depends on the dealer. Mine would probably do it for free.
BMW R1200R - White
cwrose
Basic User

Post by cwrose »

My experience with service indicator lamps is that they can be reset by the user. Usually it involves some sort of sequence involving the key/buttons. Check out your owner's manual to see about that. I'd check it out myself, but I don't have my book with me at the moment.
Chris
2008 R1200R

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
boxerpaul
Basic User

Post by boxerpaul »

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I'll check the user manual and see if that has the information. It will be great if it's as simple as that.
2008 R1200R, Black
boxerpaul
Basic User

Post by boxerpaul »

Checked the user manual and it doesn't mention any method of resetting the service indicator.
I guess I'll just have to see what the dealer says next time I'm in the area. Hopefully it's just a quick thing, of course, I could always use a test ride.... curious about the K1300GT!
2008 R1200R, Black
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

No one has found any combination of secret button/pushes/tweaks/key-wiggling/blinking-one-eye-while-dancing the hokey-pokey that resets the service reminder.

All that works is a computer reset - by the dealers computer or a GS-911. While it wouldn't bother me (I own a GS-911), I can't say I miss the reminder ('07 and '08 bikes weren't graced with it,) it's not like I forget about service on the bike.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
cwrose
Basic User

Post by cwrose »

I didn't think that there would be a way for the rider to reset the lamp themselves. My comment was more of a generalization regarding newer automobiles. Usually like holding the trip reset button for a predetermined amount of time with the key in the accessory position or whatnot. @OP, hopefully your dealer will be gracious enough to reset it for you without any hassles.
Chris
2008 R1200R

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.