Improved tire milage

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Improved tire milage

Post by towerworker »

I have been running Dunlop D220's since 2004 and have averaged 8 to 10K out of the rears and 10 to 12K with the fronts. This has been both with a 2003 and now a 2004 R. I am not an aggressive rider and much of my mileage is highway so typically the rear tire squares off before really running out of tread on the sidewalls. This past tire change I made only one change and that was to try the balancing beads in lieu of standard balancing with weights. I (with the help of Beemeridian) change my own tires.

I am now needing a new tire and after looking at my records I see where my front tire has nearly 19K on it and the rear has 12K and still have probably 40% tread life remaining. I have never before gotten this kind of tread life and again the only change was the balancing method. My riding style has not changed and while I suppose tread rubber compounds could change, still a big surprise. I plan to continue using the balancing beads. Any thoughts?

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Improved tire milage

Post by wncbmw »

Having never gotten more than about 6K out of a rear and not much more than that on a front, my thoughts are . . . You're not having enough fun Wayne! :P

An enthusiastic right wrist, living in the mountains and a hard rock compound in the local DOT road mix ensures I will never come close to that kind of mileage.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
harveyrawn
Basic User

Post by harveyrawn »

towerworker wrote:I have been running Dunlop D220's since 2004 and have averaged 8 to 10K out of the rears and 10 to 12K with the fronts. This has been both with a 2003 and now a 2004 R. I am not an aggressive rider and much of my mileage is highway so typically the rear tire squares off before really running out of tread on the sidewalls. This past tire change I made only one change and that was to try the balancing beads in lieu of standard balancing with weights. I (with the help of Beemeridian) change my own tires.

I am now needing a new tire and after looking at my records I see where my front tire has nearly 19K on it and the rear has 12K and still have probably 40% tread life remaining. I have never before gotten this kind of tread life and again the only change was the balancing method. My riding style has not changed and while I suppose tread rubber compounds could change, still a big surprise. I plan to continue using the balancing beads. Any thoughts?

Wayne
I'm using Dyna Beads for balancing PR2s for the first time. Don't yet know what kind of mileage I'll get, but am very encouraged by your report!
Harvey
Recharged on an '02
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I have a new tire set being delivered this week and have dynabeads left over from the last purchase. I find it difficult to believe that they can make that much of a difference but I don't know what else to attribute it to. If tire rubber compounds varied that much then I think I would have seen it in the last 5 or 6 tire sets. I put 42K on the 03 prior to the accident that totaled the bike and currently have 37K on this 04. Had 17K on it when I bought it two years ago. Prior to using the dynabeads I balanced using the traditional method (Marc Parnes balancer)

But like they say "if it ain't broke--don't fix it!"

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Vann---

I will readily admit I don't push my bike like I once did. The steel rod in my left leg is a constant reminder. My memories of being T-boned by a Mustang convertible and laying in the road not able to move are still very vivid.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

I have been using Dynabeads for a while now; no complaints. Have ridden faster & harder that ever before and am pleased with the results. Snowprick adamantly supports the Marc Parnes method & I'm sue that there is some merit to it, but for me the Dynabeads are the trick. My current tires on the R1150R are Dunlop Roadsmarts; have about 6K on them so far and there's still plenty of tread left, but now way that ther is more than 3-4K more miles left. However, with the GSA in the garage w/ ABS, ESA & ASC the R won't be getting much time on the road.

DLS
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

I started to use Dyna Beads many miles ago with an AVON tires and got good results.
Since I do have good rims on my bike, I always use 2oz for the front and 3oz for the rear tire.
After I went with Michelin PR2's the results are even better.
How much of the Dyna Beads do you guys put your tires :?:
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I put 1oz in the front and 2 in the rear.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Daryl.Stamp
Basic User

Post by Daryl.Stamp »

1 front, 2 rear
qfman
Lifer

What is this Dynabead?

Post by qfman »

So what - you can put this stuff in the tyre throught the valve? Like after installation? I just got a new set of Z6s and am hoping to get more than 6K miles out of a rear.....

Tom
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Tom,

Yes you pour it into the valve stem (after unscrewing the valve from the stem) The kit comes with a small plastic bottle with a clear plastic tube that fits over the valve stem. You gently pour the beads thru the valve stem, reinstall the valve and inflate the tire and you're done.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint