Red one..

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Red one..

Post by deilenberger »

Really unusual if it was from the factory: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing ... /96911143/
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Don C
Basic User

Re: Red one..

Post by Don C »

I notice that there are no R1200 stickers on the tank. That tells us no, its not factory. Looks good though.
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Ad sez "actually the only red one ever" in peidmont red metallic ... wish I'd thought to ask since mine was a custom build.

Actually, I don't know why BMW don't offer an option of "any current colour" on custom builds .... I'd have paid a small fee
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Side cases need matching paint !
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

ka5ysy wrote:Side cases need matching paint !
Imagine this classy set-up in red ...
http://picasaweb.google.com/billstanhop ... 0050389154
Now, Crystal Grey is classy, dark red would be faster and classy. Hold me back!
Don C wrote:I notice that there are no R1200 stickers on the tank. That tells us no, its not factory.
1 fingernail x 5 minutes = 0 fugly R1200R stickers ... ad sez factory colour, seems to be factory. Previous owner clearly agrees with many of us that stickers on a BMW tank, especially this BMW tank, looks iccky.
craigleo
Basic User

Post by craigleo »

This may be a custom color, probably is. I was told that the R1200R stickers could be removed
easily in roughly 30 minutes.
Anyone ever seen a white one without the R1200R sticker. I must admit, I'm tempted to get rid of the stickers.
Leo
craigleo
Basic User

Post by craigleo »

Ooops,
never mind there it is in a previous post. I like the white without the sticker!
Leo
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

My stickers are under the clear coat, so I thought that they all were that way. Must be unique to the striped tanks.
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

After much contemplation I'm planning to remove the stickers from the R12R. I believe you can re-purchase them if you ever want to reinstall, such as if it ever comes time to resell. Memory says they are about $50.

When i sold my R1150R it didn't have the tank stickers on it and i got a lot of people suspicious it had an accident and repaint (they always suspect the worst :cry: )
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

LumpyCam wrote: When I sold my R1150R it didn't have the tank stickers on it and i got a lot of people suspicious it had an accident and repaint (they always suspect the worst :cry: )
My take is anyone that "suspicious" is trying it on - and won't pay a reasonable price anyway, or are too much trouble to deal with (life is too short fro that!). Look at us cynics poking sticks at this one! When I sold my R1150RS with barbacks & lower pegs (no other farkles - all OEM) a couple of guys tried to tell me it was "modified" and therefore worth less. I invited them to be on their way with the suggestion that, since I was practically giving it away, I'd rather it went to someone who knew enough (and/or cared enough) to give it a good home. Sooooo satisfying to send tyre-kickers packing .. and the eventual buyer paid my asking price (even after I offered to drop the price a bit) and sent me pics of it enjoying its new life.

I once sold a favourite, faithfully original, 17 yr old R80 to a whinger who paid virtually zip then complained mightily until I suggested he could make more money selling it - he did, and the new owner has since made time to show me how faithfully original he keeps the bike (a nice guy). Now my bikes only go to good homes .... even my beloved F650CS has gone to one (well, she is my sister).
larsn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 737

Post by larsn »

I have been meaning to get some opinions about stickered vs unstickered. Attached is my joy (one of em) - as you can see, unstickered. For those suspicious out there, it WAS in an accident that bent the bars into the tank, - the tank was replaced (part alone: US $1600+)
Anyway, I was in a hurry to get on the road, so I took it without the decals.
I am reaally starting to like it that way. What do the rest of you think? Clean lines - there are enough points of interest on this beautiful machine that draw the eye naturally - the decals seem to add only visual clutter. Plus, when I blow by a Harley owner (haha) I want him to wonder how big that super machine is (Utah Highway patrol bought 13 of these R models, and dumped their Harleys)
Anyway, I would like some opinions. Am I looney? An alternative is to put "R12R" on the tank, no zeros. Any thoughts? I must make a decision as soon as my dealer gets in my replacement fuel strip - but thats for another thread.

Last edited by larsn on Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LARSN
Larry N
Draper, Utah

"But Officer, it won't GO that slow."
Ashveratu
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Ashveratu »

No stickers means your bike is even more naked which is better IMO.
09 Alpine White R1200R: Touring windshield, BMW panniers, Sargent Low seat, Throttlemeister.
Matt G.
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

leave if off =D>

I think having the model ID on the tank is superfluous - there's only one hexhead motor size, and the model is kinda obvious. It's a new development (oh gawd - am I really this crusty?), hardly a BMW tradition - which is otherwise:

Classic BMWs had nowt onthe tank but the roundel and - if you must - pin stripes. Model was on a cast plate on the motor (up to /6??) and from /7, in paint on the sidecovers.

K series had only the roundel on the tank - "RT" or "RS" or "LT" in metal on the fairing, and "K100" or "K1100" on the ducktail.

F series have nothing at all on the faux tank. Roundel in other front mouldings, without model ID (rear plastic on the GS and swingarm on the CS).

And I like being a bit mysterious - my misanthropic (or pisstake) side gets to play with all the dumb questions, or smile at the definitive (and incorrect) pronoucements ... and I've already said what I'd do with a smartarse trying to push my price :twisted: .
craigleo
Basic User

Post by craigleo »

Ok, I've seen the grey one without stickes and the white one. I think my next big modification is to remove the stickers from my white R. It looks like a great unfarkle in any color.
Every time I have sold a motorcycle, it has been a sad situation. The money has never been worth losing the motorcycle. My approach to a motorcycle is to do what I want with it regardless of what it does for resale value.
Leo
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Ok, so it begs the question, what is the best way to REMOVE said stickers? Thought there was a clear-coat on top of them? Thanks.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
papasong
Lifer

Post by papasong »

yeah, I definitely prefer without stickers...
Current: 2009 R1200R Night Black
Past: 2008 F800ST Graphitan
Lifer #864
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Also, would love to see a dark forest green or Ferrari yellow ... it would definitely liven up the place! :-O
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

angellr wrote:Ok, so it begs the question, what is the best way to REMOVE said stickers? Thought there was a clear-coat on top of them? Thanks.
After a long ride on a hot day or a few minutes under a hair dryer, they should peel away easily with a fingernail. Then I'd wash the tank and apply some Klasse All-in-One or the like. I've grown accustomed to the stickers and have not tried removing mine.
Bill
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

deilenberger wrote:Really unusual if it was from the factory: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing ... /96911143/
That red looks good to me. It is a shame you lose value by painting your bike. I mean unless it is an R90S.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

To bad the small plastic piece over the taillight wasn't painted, I'm looking for one to paint black. Don't want to paint the one on the bike.

Thinking of decals - how about this:

It's fun watching the BMW 'experts' walk past the bike. With the Parabellum,city cases and a bunch of GS stuff when they see the strange name on the tank they usually stop and do a walk around, trying to figure out what they are looking at.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358