Did you test TyreGuardian ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Did you test TyreGuardian ?

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

My Rev'it dealer in Venice beach sale it and as he said it works extremly well...
much better than an other well known brand
which do not behave the same way in the tire. (Some kind of blue liquid)

TyreGuardian apparently dry in the tire and form a protective latex film all over the surface that resist to any usual punctures.

http://www.tyreguardian.us/-strse-8/Tyr ... Detail.bok
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re: Did you test TyreGuardian ?

Post by celticus »

TyreGuardian looks and sounds good but this is the first I’ve heard of it.
Ride On is the product I’ve been using.
http://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Haven't used it - but it appears identical to RideOn. Both create a LIQUID coating on the inside of the tire - that seals leaks by hardening on exposure to air blowing out of a leak. TyreGuardian's website mentions the "liquid" quality of the film:

http://www.tyreguardian.us/-strse-templ ... s/Page.bok
tYreguardian website wrote:Once a tire has been treated with TyreGuardian™ the compound creates a thin liquid film on the inside of the treated tire which provides a barrier that maintains tire pressure and creates a complete air tight container within the tire and tire rim.
Same thing RideOn does. The one your dealer doesn't like is probably "Slime" - it's particularly messy to deal with on changing tires, and is known for corroding aluminum rims (which isn't a good thing.. it's actually sorta blue/green in color - more green then blue..)

A few warnings on these sealants:

1. They can't be used with tire-pressure-monitoring systems that mount inside the rim (like BMWs does) - they will plug up the pressure sensor..

2. They never dry out - and they leave moisture in the tire. This can cause a greater change in air pressure with tire heating then dry air or nitrogen will.

3. They only seal the center 2" or so of tread. That's where the sealant all ends up due to centrifigal force. They won't do a thing for a puncture more then about 1" off the centerline of the tread.

That said - if I didn't have a tire-pressure-monitoring system on my bike - I would have RideOn in the tires. It does work within the center tread area, and that's where the majority of punctures happen. It's not a miracle - a big sidewall tear is going to deflate the tire, as will a large hole in the center of the tread, but for lots of punctures - it will seal the hole up.
Last edited by deilenberger on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I had a nail size hold (less than 1/16) in a 2,000 mile tire. Put Ride-On in and ran it another 8,000 miles. I figured that small a hole in the tire wouldn't do significant damage to the integrity of the tire. No problems and just normal air loss.

I now put Ride-On in all my tubeless tires.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

The last time I put Ride On in my tires I didn't realize how soon I would be needing a new front tire. It seemed a shame to waste all of that new Ride On so I scooped it out and put it in the new tire. It works fine.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer

Thanks guy for these enlightning participations...

I didn't know such products.
punctures is my quasi trimestrial trouble
as I ride daily in Urban environements such as Los Angeles.

I use roadpilot II but was thinking to get a harder compound on my next set of tires
because of few too frequent puncture issues I previously encountered, adding one of those fluid could even help more I am guessing.

Thanks !
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

Has anyone been charged extra by your tire shop for having to deal with the mess when replacing tires?

I have heard rumors of this.

Scott
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

tinytrains wrote:Has anyone been charged extra by your tire shop for having to deal with the mess when replacing tires?

Scott
There is no mess with RideOn - the sealant ends up in a band on the inside of the tire - about 2" wide opposite the center of the tread. Never found any on the rim, and the tire was not messy at all to change. I have heard of Slime being messy and places charging extra to clean up the mess.
larsn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 737

Post by larsn »

Hey Don -
If the RideOn never dries out, and the machine stands unused for a couple of weeks (say in January), does the stuff drain to the bottom of the tire, get stiff in the cold and then unbalance the tire?
Just thinking ......
LARSN
Larry N
Draper, Utah

"But Officer, it won't GO that slow."
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

deilenberger wrote:
tinytrains wrote:Has anyone been charged extra by your tire shop for having to deal with the mess when replacing tires?

Scott
There is no mess with RideOn - the sealant ends up in a band on the inside of the tire - about 2" wide opposite the center of the tread. Never found any on the rim, and the tire was not messy at all to change. I have heard of Slime being messy and places charging extra to clean up the mess.
Ah, I have only encountered the slime in the past.

Thanks.
Scott
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

larsn wrote:Hey Don -
If the RideOn never dries out, and the machine stands unused for a couple of weeks (say in January), does the stuff drain to the bottom of the tire, get stiff in the cold and then unbalance the tire?
Just thinking ......
I am not Don but I use the Ride On and I have never noticed anything like what you are asking about. It seems to me to be less viscus (runny) than that.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
The Meromorph
Basic User

Post by The Meromorph »

It can, if the bike sits for weeks, but when it does, it re-balances to perfection within 5 miles. You never need to balance or re-balance the tire as it wears.
2001 BMW R1100R, Parabellum WIndshield.
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Post by waynemathews »

deilenberger wrote:Haven't used it - but it appears identical to RideOn. Both create a LIQUID coating on the inside of the tire - that seals leaks by hardening on exposure to air blowing out of a leak. TyreGuardian's website mentions the "liquid" quality of the film:

1. They can't be used with tire-pressure-monitoring systems that mount inside the rim (like BMWs does) - they will plug up the pressure sensor..

That said - if I didn't have a tire-pressure-monitoring system on my bike - I would have RideOn in the tires. It does work within the center tread area, and that's where the majority of punctures happen. It's not a miracle - a big sidewall tear is going to deflate the tire, as will a large hole in the center of the tread, but for lots of punctures - it will seal the hole up.
The biggest difference that I can see are that TyreGuardian uses less volume per tyre, and they specifically state that it is compatible with pressure monitoring sensors. They use an M5 tire with pressure monitor as as a demo in several of their videos. My bR12R doesn't have TPM, maybe I'll use the wife's car as a test.
09 R1200R
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

I don't even have tyres on my bike!! How can this be applicable? :)

Mark
Air can hurt you too
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Post by waynemathews »

celticus wrote:I don't even have tyres on my bike!! How can this be applicable? :)

Mark
Hopefully that won't invalidate your warranty. Fortunately, the repair manual offers this:

Technical data 0398 - R 1200 R
36 - Wheels and tyres
Recommended tyre sets
You can obtain an up-to-date list of approved tyres from your authorised BMW Motorrad dealer or on the Internet at "www.bmw-motorrad.com".

Good riding! ;)
09 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

larsn wrote:Hey Don -
Just thinking ......
I imagine it could. Never felt it - but my bike doesn't sit too long. It does seem to stay in place inside the tire when I removed the tires for replacement, didn't see any movement.

I would not count on their claim of it balancing the tire - to begin with - the physics is ALL wrong (a heavy spot will tend to move outward on rotation - meaning more of the stuff will end up there making it heavier..) just like all the magic balancer stuff (Motorcycle Consumer News did test one of the bead balancers - said it was crap..) I still balanced the tires BEFORE putting the goop in.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

waynemathews wrote:
deilenberger wrote:Haven't used it - but it appears identical to RideOn. Both create a LIQUID coating on the inside of the tire - that seals leaks by hardening on exposure to air blowing out of a leak. TyreGuardian's website mentions the "liquid" quality of the film:

The biggest difference that I can see are that TyreGuardian uses less volume per tyre, and they specifically state that it is compatible with pressure monitoring sensors. They use an M5 tire with pressure monitor as as a demo in several of their videos. My bR12R doesn't have TPM, maybe I'll use the wife's car as a test.
The question to TyreGuardian would be - if it damages the TPM sensor will they pay for a new one?

ZADI specifically voids their warranty on the sensors for any sensor used in a tire with sealant. We seem to have directly conflicting stories here.. and my experience with residual Ride-On and a ZADI sensor was not good (once the stuff is used - the tire carcass absorbs enough of the moisture from it that you'll never have a really "dry" tire environment until the tire is replaced.. I cleaned out the tire/rim before installing the sensor, and when the sensor crapped out I could see where moisture had attacked the electronics despite it being sealed in a silicone potting compound.)
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer

Huuuhh ! I have a little question... :-k

Why the tire manufacturers do not apply in first place a kind of similar sealant
inside the tire at the factory ? They could even apply it equally all over the inner surface...instead of us just in the middle.