Ohlin Adjustment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Kieran R1200R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Ohlin Adjustment

Post by Kieran R1200R »

I installed Ohlin shocks on my bike from new. They came preset for my weight, pillion and intended luggage. The rear has a remote preload adjuster to dial in more preload if needed. The trouble is I have lost weight and my wife isn't riding with me much so I need to adjust them. The rear has a lock pin to stop the preload colar from turning. I have tried to pull this out and push it in so I can turn the colar but I can't get the pin to move. Now rather than taking the shock back off the bike, putting it in the vise and forcing the pin, does anyone have a better solution. Is there some trick to this?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by Kieran R1200R on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sproggy
Basic User

Re: Ohlin Adjustment

Post by sproggy »

I can't answer your question but have you tried contacting the company who supplied the shocks originally? They'd be in the best position to advise you about such adjustments. It could be that there's no static preload on the spring (so you'd therefore need a lighter spring to achieve what you want) and again they'd be able to advise you best.

Failing that, any Ohlins dealer should be able to help if you tell them your spring rating and weight.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Can you give us a picture of this pin?

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

celticus wrote:Can you give us a picture of this pin?

Mark

I would have included a picture but I forgot how to do it. Can someone explain again please.
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Kieran R1200R wrote:
celticus wrote:Can you give us a picture of this pin?

Mark

I would have included a picture but I forgot how to do it. Can someone explain again please.
Go to a free hosting site. I have just tried several sites and

http://imageshack.us/
http://www.freepichosting.com/

both worked well, don't require an account for basic usage, and are rated as safe.

In essence,
1. visit either site
2. click 'browse', navigate to your picture on your hard drive, select it, click 'upload'
3. wait for a confirmation

You will then see several boxes with labels, such as 'html code', 'forum code', etc. Right-click (on a PC) on the one that says 'forum code', select 'copy', and then paste that into your post by right-clicking on the place where you want the image to appear and selecting 'paste'. Try 'preview' to see if your image displays. Some of the sites I tried have more than one version of forum code, i.e. more than one box with the label 'forum...'. If the first one didn't work try the next.

If right-click, copy, paste, and so on doesn't sound familiar then you will need someone who can walk you through this.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for your help with posting the picture! you explained it very well.

The pin is in the top pic left of the remote preload adjuster line between the colar luggs. It stops the colar from moving itself while the bike is on the move.
To adjust the colar one would think the pin could be removed and adjustment could take place.
If I grab the pin with pliers it does not want to come out and I thought it maybe spring loaded and push in but that's not the case.
With the shock being on the bike it is hard to get a good hold on the pin so I thought about taking it back off, but that doesn't sound right to me. Fancy Ohlins doing that to you, there must be away to adjust this.
Also if I dial the remote preload in all the way the colar nearly clears the pin but not quite. If it did that would be the logical way to adjust.
Has anyone delt with this before?

Cheers
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I did on an older Ohlins. Can't recall the pin, but the pin may be used to keep the two halves of the remote preload adjuster from rotating relative to each other.

On the one I had - I was able to loosen the locknut - and the preload adjuster was then moveable. Can't recall if it's threaded to the shock body (I know Wilbers is..) or not. If it is - then you have to rotate the entire preload adjuster to move it on the shock body.

It probably should be noted (and as Sproggy suggested) - this isn't a good way to adjust the preload. The spring RATE should be matched to your weight (the weight of the entire bike, you, gear, etc.) Then the preload adjuster is used to set the actual preload.

If you want a somewhat understandable explanation - you can always look at the writeup on my website on suspension adjustment (www.eilenberger.net).. If it was me - I'd be talking to the people who set the shock up originally about what spring you should be using on it.

Good luck!
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

Well I took the shock off the bike only to find the colar can't be adjusted without taking the preload adjuster off and that's is a major job, looks like I have to get fat again.
If you are ordering a Ohlin shock with remote preload adjuster remember the shock will come pre set to your weight and what else you specify. The only adjustment will be what you can dial in on the remote.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I have wanted to try the same thing...but the company I bought my Ohlins' from (Kyle Racing) told me absolutely not to mess with removing that pin to change the preload.
They said that it was not meant to be adjusted like that and there will be a severely negative impact on the shocks performance.

They offered to swap out springs for me for a modest price...

Good luck!
Get Lost!