R12R Givi Top Box

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ff73148
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R12R Givi Top Box

Post by ff73148 »

Has anyone figured out a way to mount a Give top box to an R if you have BMW bags on it. Thanks.

Frank Ferrante
Frank Ferrante
2010 R1200R
2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring
psycle.vt

Re: R12R Givi Top Box

Post by psycle.vt »

I have mounted a Givi E-45 mono-key (and it has been on for over 6k miles so far, 4500 of them fully loaded) to the BMW luggage rack via the generic E250 Givi mount. I basically got a cheap plastic cutting board from WallyMart and custom cut pieces with a hacksaw that fit underneath the BMW rack and then got some longer screws from local hardware store and mounted the rack to the custom pieces with the screws and the Givi supplied brackets.

In order to get the custom pieces right, I got a cheap foam ice chest and cut it up and pressed it in place under the BMW rack to get the basic shape by pressing the styrofoam into the rack base. Then cut out templates from that and used them to cut the actual pieces from the cutting board. I spray painted the pieces with flat black plastic paint and they are invisible. I was sure this would work based on comments and encouragement from Roger John on this forum.

Last edited by psycle.vt on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
Paul
Basic User

Post by Paul »

I was down at Twisted throttle saturday inquiring about a Givi box for the R.
I have the side cases but not the rack.
It seems that aftermarket companies use the same mounting places for their racks as the BMW cases so, if i have the cases, i can't use a trunk.
Unless i get the BMW cases and rack setup.
My guess was, as p.v. mentioned, that i could attach to the rack somehow.
09 Alpine White Image
Anger
Basic User

Post by Anger »

For those who are thinking about this solution, see this pre-colored black board

http://www.amazon.com/Dexas-14-Inch-17- ... 085&sr=1-6

combine it with something else you already planned on ordering and save yourself the shipping costs for orders over $25 and skip having to buy black paint.

AND

this piece at my local target store.

http://www.target.com/Midnight-Granite- ... ub_3_title

looks like I'll be making a pit stop on the way home tomorrow. I just bought a Givi E450 after agonizing long and hard about what to do with my system case /top rack setup. I opted for the relatively cheap way out. Customize !!
2008 R1200R
2002 R1150R For Sale http://forsale.engineeringpros.com/r1150r/
2009 Triumph Bonneville
hoflix
Basic User

Post by hoflix »

I had an SW-Motech baseplate paired with their own mount, for a big Givi 52Liter box. Nicely made, and really solid.

But I wasn't entirely happy with it, because I could not use it with the factory bags I bought later....

So I made this up:

(pictures from the testing periods, notice it's unpainted and screws protruding)

And now I can do this:

Really easy to make, with homedepot parts, it prolly cost me around $10 :mrgreen:
sproggy
Basic User

Post by sproggy »

I've gone the other way - kept the SW Motech Alurack that I already had fitted and modified the OE pannier rails (the ones that fit without the rack) to fit with the Alurack. I got used ones for £12 so didn't mind chopping them around. This does put the rear pannier mount about 1/4" further out than stock but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Of course doing this means I have a two-bolt rear mount for the pannier rack (same as the old 1150 pannier rails with the same bolt diameters, so I'm not concerned) because I had to cut off the long lug that points in towards the centre of the bike.

This means I can fit the pannier rails in about 5 minutes flat just for the few times a year that I need them, without removing the rack which I use every day (with a Givi adapter plate and box).

If I did it all again I'd probably go for the OE rear rack/rails combined but it's SO expensive........
VSK
Basic User

Post by VSK »

I am using the Givi universal adapter (E250 I think) on the OEM luggage rack for a V46 case. Its not the neatest solution and had to get longer screws but it works. Been using it for a couple of months of regular commuting duty and it has held up well. Be careful of the weight in the V46 though. You will probably max out the weight limit of the rack before the capacity of the top case.
Anger
Basic User

Post by Anger »

Update, used the universal base with nothing in particular done except for to beat the living bajezus out the the stock plates with a ball peen hammer, a small vise and a grinder in order to more properly fit the nooks and crannies of the BMW top rack. All in all, it was an easy modification using the stock hardware which took me no more than 1 hr all-in. That Givi universal base is sure adaptable. I installed a top case on my wife's Triumph in no time at all either, with lots less trouble than mounting it to my BMW.

I used the plastic cutting board where it belongs, in the kitchen.
2008 R1200R
2002 R1150R For Sale http://forsale.engineeringpros.com/r1150r/
2009 Triumph Bonneville
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

So where are your pictures?
In the interest of gathering all of the Givi information in one thread, here's the link to my installation:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21256
Anger
Basic User

Post by Anger »

Don C wrote:So where are your pictures?
In the interest of gathering all of the Givi information in one thread, here's the link to my installation:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21256
Pics here....As I mentioned, I used the universal base with nothing in particular done except for to beat the living bajezus out the the stock plates with a ball peen hammer, hand wrenches, and a grinder in order to more properly fit the nooks and crannies of the BMW top rack. All in all, it was an easy modification using the stock hardware which took me no more than 1 hr all-in. That Givi universal base is sure adaptable.

I used the plastic cutting board where it belongs, in the kitchen.

Also, Don C, that thread you listed has a misspelling in the title (Give instead of Givi), making it almost impossible for that thread to be found.