New Owner: 2009 (new) BMW R1200R..thank you Santa Rosa BMW!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

oalvarez
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

New Owner: 2009 (new) BMW R1200R..thank you Santa Rosa BMW!

Post by oalvarez »

The subject line pretty much says it all. To say the least, I'm the proud owner of a new leftover '09 R1200R, the color being black with w/pinstripes (please, please, let's not get into what color is the fastest, etc. :)). It comes equipped with ABS, computer, heated grips, and center stand. So, how did I get here?

I've enjoyed riding motorcycles for almost 18yrs now, my first being a 1992 (purchased new) Ducati 907ie Paso. Fast forward to 2006 (kids now able to stay home by themselves) when I started to really get into bikes, namely Italian ones. As for the BMW marquee, I had the good fortune of owning a 2009 R1200GS that allowed me a chance to get acquainted with the boxer motor; still, I preferred the lighter motorcycles. So a whole bunch of Ducati's and Aprilia's later, here I am, and happy to be here. In all of the motorcycles I've owned, the one thing that stands out is that "upright and comfortable" bikes give me a sense of confidence that others don't. It's those bikes that I tend to ride the best, and have the most happiness being on. The R1200R? I'm purchasing the motorcycle sight unseen, but not without familiarity with the R1200 motor. A Moto Guzzi Stelvio will share the garage (along with my prized 1975 R90S) with the R1200, and each will best serve its purpose. My riding is mostly comprised of 80-140mi weekly round trip canyon runs, with a handful of 500-600mi longer/weekender rides sprinkled in throughout the year. I consider the R12R as being the perfect companion to the proven and larger Stelvio (lot's of heart and soul, comfy mile eater, goofy engine config) allowing me to gobble up the local canyon roads with greater ease and efficiency.

Many thanks to Mike, Chris, Dennis, and Karen at Santa Rosa (Windsor) BMW......you guys/gals run a quality organization.....thanks for the kind attention, doing business with you couldn't have been more easy and pleasureful. The only hard part was finding this exact motorcycle. Of all the twenty-plus dealers in the state, this one was the only dealer to have one. What I found a bit surprising was the number of dealers who didn't have any R12R's in stock.

Regards,
Last edited by oalvarez on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
2011 BMW R1200GS (Akra, Ohlins, PCV/AT)
2011 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW HP2S
2003 Aprilia Tuono Racing
Don C
Basic User

Re: New Owner: 2009 (new) BMW R1200R..thank you Santa Rosa BMW!

Post by Don C »

I've been over there admiring that one in the showroom on a few occasions. Congratulations.
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

Congrats and welcome to the board.
Mike
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Welcome! Enjoy your new bike.
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

It will take some time to get rid of (if you ever do) the SEG on your face! Enjoy!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
goo
Basic User

even before there were r1200r's...

Post by goo »

there was a song about them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUb9jTdLUu0
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

oalvarez wrote:The subject line pretty much says it all. To say the least, I'm the proud owner of a new leftover '09 R1200R, the color being black with w/pinstripes (please, please, let's not get into what color is the fastest, etc. :)). It comes equipped with ABS, computer, heated grips, and center stand. So, how did I get here?

I've enjoyed riding motorcycles for almost 18yrs now, my first being a 1992 (purchased new) Ducati 907ie Paso. Fast forward to 2006 (kids now able to stay home by themselves) when I started to really get into bikes, namely Italian ones. As for the BMW marquee, I had the good fortune of owning a 2009 R1200GS that allowed me a chance to get acquainted with the boxer motor; still, I preferred the lighter motorcycles. So a whole bunch of Ducati's and Aprilia's later, here I am, and happy to be here. In all of the motorcycles I've owned, the one thing that stands out is that "upright and comfortable" bikes give me a sense of confidence that others don't. It's those bikes that I tend to ride the best, and have the most happiness being on. The R1200R? I'm purchasing the motorcycle sight unseen, but not without familiarity with the R1200 motor. A Moto Guzzi Stelvio will share the garage (along with my prized 1975 R90S) with the R1200, and each will best serve its purpose. My riding is mostly comprised of 80-140mi weekly round trip canyon runs, with a handful of 500-600mi longer/weekender rides sprinkled in throughout the year. I consider the R12R as being the perfect companion to the proven and larger Stelvio (lot's of heart and soul, comfy mile eater, goofy engine config) allowing me to gobble up the local canyon roads with greater ease and efficiency.

Many thanks to Mike, Chris, Dennis, and Karen at Santa Rosa (Windsor) BMW......you guys/gals run a quality organization.....thanks for the kind attention, doing business with you couldn't have been more easy and pleasureful. The only hard part was finding this exact motorcycle. Of all the twenty-plus dealers in the state, this one was the only dealer to have one. What I found a bit surprising was the number of dealers who didn't have any R12R's in stock.

Regards,

I'd like to chime in!
Congrats on your new purchase.
I'd also like to comment on your other post is the R12R popular or not!
Every now and then a Manufacturer makes a bike that comes in under the radar!
First one that springs to mind was the Honda VFR 750. People wore shon away from it because of it's big brother VFR1000 was chipping over head cams and had to be replaced under warrenty. They couldn't give a VFR 750 away here in the late 80's early 90's but what a capable bike it turned out to be.
Although the R naked range did not suffer from any bad engine problems it is a bike that has little or no advertising to sell its self!
You yourself have been riding for 18 years and have experianced a lot of bikes but from your own admition have said that you have not felt more secure abored the R12R because of its sit up position and feel more control over the bike!
You have owned some very go fast bikes but will have to admit that this R12R will run, corner and perform just as good or better than what you have previously owned.
I can comment on this because I have owned just about every bike out there in the past 10 years and have had some that preduce amasing HP but at the end of the day you need a track to be able to use it.
I chose the R12R because I wanted to sit up right and have a bit more control over the bike and be comfortable as well.
If you hunt in some of my posts you will see a picture of my bike.
I have put Ohlins front and rear, changed the bars and mirrors, carbon fibre wheels and a remus exhaust which has turned it into a FANTASTIC bike.
It has a 109hp and will run and out handle most bikes out there, also rider capabilities come in to play but I don't have a problem with anyone on a bike that wants to have a play.
The bike is up to scratching on a Sunday to putting all it's luggage on and going touring, it is that versitile.
Only someone who has been riding motorcycles for 20 + years would consider this type of bike due to there age and previously owned bikes to know what a Boxer motor is capable of.
I put this challange out to anyone. Try and find in any other bike a motor that has 109HP and 115nm of torque @ 6000rpm.
That is usable power for the road. Most Jap litre bikes are way into tripple diggets before they can tap torque like that, and for the road simply cant go that speed, so there for I am able to be right up there clacker or they are in hot persuit of me, great fun, and the best is when you pull over and they see this old guy on a BMW wtf!!! Gets them every time, I just love it, and you will too.
Post back once you have some miles up on it and done some of your Canyon carving, and you too will know what a versitile, accomplished bike this R12R is!!!
oalvarez
Basic User

Post by oalvarez »

Turn of events, I chose not to take delivery of the R12R.

Be well
2011 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW HP2S
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

And the rest of the story is?
oalvarez
Basic User

Post by oalvarez »

to be honest, there really isn't one at this point. i may purchase a demo'd MV Agusta 1090 Brutale instead, and then again, i may not.

take care,
2011 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW HP2S
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

WoW!!! that is a turn of events!!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I'd suggest before giving up on the deal - you just drop in and take a little test ride..

What could it hurt?
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

The 2009 was a great year.
Bill
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

I love my leftover 09 I purchased from Gateway BMW in St Louis, ( GREAT PEOPLE ). Bob Honz made me a deal I could not refuse on mine. Enjoy it, farkle it, ride it like you stole it!!!! =D>
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
sunny72
Lifer

Post by sunny72 »

oalvarez wrote:to be honest, there really isn't one at this point.
Really? After an intro like that and all the Santa Rosa praise there's no rest of the story? I feel like I missed the season finale.
2010 R1200R
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

Yeh!! somethings amiss.!
dokotela

Post by dokotela »

Kieran R1200R wrote:
oalvarez wrote:The subject line pretty much says it all. To say the least, I'm the proud owner of a new leftover '09 R1200R, the color being black with w/pinstripes (please, please, let's not get into what color is the fastest, etc. :)). It comes equipped with ABS, computer, heated grips, and center stand. So, how did I get here?

Regards,

I'd like to chime in!
Congrats on your new purchase.
I'd also like to comment on your other post is the R12R popular or not!
Every now and then a Manufacturer makes a bike that comes in under the radar!
First one that springs to mind was the Honda VFR 750. People wore shon away from it because of it's big brother VFR1000 was chipping over head cams and had to be replaced under warrenty. They couldn't give a VFR 750 away here in the late 80's early 90's but what a capable bike it turned out to be.
Although the R naked range did not suffer from any bad engine problems it is a bike that has little or no advertising to sell its self!
You yourself have been riding for 18 years and have experianced a lot of bikes but from your own admition have said that you have not felt more secure abored the R12R because of its sit up position and feel more control over the bike!
You have owned some very go fast bikes but will have to admit that this R12R will run, corner and perform just as good or better than what you have previously owned.
I can comment on this because I have owned just about every bike out there in the past 10 years and have had some that preduce amasing HP but at the end of the day you need a track to be able to use it.
I chose the R12R because I wanted to sit up right and have a bit more control over the bike and be comfortable as well.
If you hunt in some of my posts you will see a picture of my bike.
I have put Ohlins front and rear, changed the bars and mirrors, carbon fibre wheels and a remus exhaust which has turned it into a FANTASTIC bike.
It has a 109hp and will run and out handle most bikes out there, also rider capabilities come in to play but I don't have a problem with anyone on a bike that wants to have a play.
The bike is up to scratching on a Sunday to putting all it's luggage on and going touring, it is that versitile.
Only someone who has been riding motorcycles for 20 + years would consider this type of bike due to there age and previously owned bikes to know what a Boxer motor is capable of.
I put this challange out to anyone. Try and find in any other bike a motor that has 109HP and 115nm of torque @ 6000rpm.
That is usable power for the road. Most Jap litre bikes are way into tripple diggets before they can tap torque like that, and for the road simply cant go that speed, so there for I am able to be right up there clacker or they are in hot persuit of me, great fun, and the best is when you pull over and they see this old guy on a BMW wtf!!! Gets them every time, I just love it, and you will too.
Post back once you have some miles up on it and done some of your Canyon carving, and you too will know what a versitile, accomplished bike this R12R is!!!

I'd just like to say how much agree with Kieran above. Absolutley spot on for me.

Julian
2007 R1200R

Past lovers: Street triple, Sprint ST and RS, SV650
oalvarez
Basic User

Post by oalvarez »

thanks for all of the well wishes, suggestions and recommendations. i've decided to move forward on the deal, i'll know in the morning should they want to continue with the long distance transaction.

regards,
2011 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW HP2S
Stef.
Lifer

Post by Stef. »

Congrats! I bought mine in April of 2010 and love it to bits!
Stef.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
R1200R (2010)
oalvarez
Basic User

Post by oalvarez »

decided to consummate the deal. docs signed and monies wired to the dealership. my nephew who lives in the Bay Area will go and pick up the bike this weekend. we'll then plan a day for him to ride the bike down to So. Cal where i'll meet him somewhere in between, en route.

now the wait begins. :)
2011 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW HP2S