Near Miss/Horn Button vs Yelling

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SDMAX
Basic User

Near Miss/Horn Button vs Yelling

Post by SDMAX »

Ok I invented a whole new way to almost get wiped out. Tooling up the NB avenue to my office, beautiful day; had just stopped for Starbucks a couple of blocks back. Face shield is up (this is important). I'm in the left lane of the three one way NB lanes and coming up to my left turn. I slow for a Jeep type vehicle with plastic curtains and a canvas top (this is important). He pulls out of a parallel parking place and gets ENTIRELY into the same lane I'm in and I believe he's going NB and done with parking. He actually started moving NB.

Wrong. I am a car length stopped behind him when I see his back up lights come on and he's backing right into me....evidently for another "try" at parking or just decided that although he had left the spot which is what it looked like; that he missed it and wanted to go back. Through me.

He's coming back with some alacrity and can't pull around him bc he's now too close, or I'm asleep, or I stopped too close behind him....and I have no reverse....

So I started yelling at him...something really coherent like HEY HEY HEY!!!! Because he had a plastic back window and my face plate was up he heard me, turned his head saw me, gave me the HUH? look and stopped and I moved around him and that was it.

I had no freaking idea where the horn button was. It would have worked better than HEY HEY HEY!!! I am now going to start riding with my thumb over it until it becomes second nature. It's actually in the same plane and location as the turn signal cancel on the right side so I should be able to pick up this new skill in short order. I may also switch out the stock horn for something louder that fits in the same place. That is, once I learn how to actually use the horn.

Yeah and I'm going to do a better job of anticipating that type of nonsense too. I should have been a lot farther back ....until his deal really declared itself.

Learning every day.
Ric
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Near Miss/Horn Button vs Yelling

Post by Ric »

I feel your pain.... :twisted:
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

cswett
Basic User

Post by cswett »

So is that horn hard to mount on an ABS r1150r?
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

It may not fit on your bike conveniently, but it is SO LOUD, that it's definitely worth the trouble.
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

Test your horn as part of your start-up routine, or fire it off from time to time when it won't alarm anyone nearby. That will ensure it's working when you need it and that you can find the button when you need it. There's no excuse for not knowing your equipment.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

And once you have your LOUD horn, you may actually want to honk it:

http://tinyurl.com/2av59dr
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

I've needed mine in some situations and I have fumbled with it to. I'm working on it and I do find it and test it going down the road frequently.
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
jess
Basic User

Post by jess »

r12gecko wrote:There's no excuse for not knowing your equipment.
It wouldn't be so bad if the equipment stayed in the same place.
eddiepat62
Basic User

Post by eddiepat62 »

SDMAX - SDBMWMC has a PIAA horn on display that will make your neighbors hate you. The guys will install it using the OEM plug in.

It's on my list.
Eddie F.
I LOVED my '07 R1200R
I LOVE my 2010 R1200R
lewellen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 635

Post by lewellen »

eddiepat62 wrote:SDMAX - SDBMWMC has a PIAA horn on display that will make your neighbors hate you. The guys will install it using the OEM plug in.

It's on my list.
Link, please?

Best,

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.