Bike won't start

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Stef.
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Bike won't start

Post by Stef. »

Sorry if that has been discussed somewhere else, but I did a search and all the searches pointed towards dead batteries which is not the case for me (I think):

It is freezing cold outside at the moment. (- 4.5 degrees or 23.9 F). My bike is on a trickle charger and the battery seems to be fine. The bike is from 2010 and it is parked outside. I have ridden it about 2 weeks ago for the last time. When I tried to start the bike this morning (to park it for the winter in a friend's garage), the lights went on O.K. and it made the "right" sound (not the click click of a dead battery) but the bike wouldn't start. It feels like it's just about to start but the "last push" seems to be missing. As said- I do believe the battery is fine. Is it just too cold for it to start? Any tips how I can get it going as I really would like to get it to my friends garage as soon as possible?

Thanks for your input!
Stef.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
R1200R (2010)
mogu83
Lifer

Re: Bike won't start

Post by mogu83 »

If the motor is spinning (trying to start) and it was running Ok when you put it away, you could try fresh gas. It is hard to imagine that the gas went bad in two weeks but it's just a wild guess from the other side of the continent. After that it gets technical, check for spark, fuel to the injectors etc no easy answers.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Liam
Lifer
Donating Member #: 780

Post by Liam »

Hi,

Since you have a trickle charger connected I assume you have power available someplace near the bike. If I were in your spot I'd try gently warming the engine. To do this I'd cover the bike with a blanket and a tarp (try to build an enclosed air space) and put a lamp (150 watts or more) under the engine block (not in contact). I'd expect that to bring the whole engine and gas system to something closer to "normal" starting temperature in a couple of hours. Keep the charger on it too.

If it doesn't start after bringing the temperature up, you may have bigger problems. Anyway, don't rule out the battery yet. My battery sounded the way you describe: cranking with no click but couldn't close the deal, just before total failure.

Good luck,

Liam
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

I'd agree with the above post. Your bike is just really cold. Get a cover on it, even a cheap one, then try to get a light bulb underneth. Try pushing it out of the wind. Don't be in a hurry, it will take some time to get things reasonably warm. Keep the charger on it and try to get it going durning the warmest time of the day. I seriously doubt you have any other issues.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
Dad2g5
Basic User

Post by Dad2g5 »

Something sounds wrong because mine cranks a little slow but it does start in those temperatures. I ride all year long. The coldest I rode last year was 13 degrees F. Try calling your local dealer if anything is wrong it should be under warranty. Ohh and don't feel bad my bike sleeps outside too.
AHHHH to ride
cestes
Lifer
Donating Member #: 831

Post by cestes »

I had that problem Stef with my 2010. After many attemps to get it started it finally fired up and I took it into the dealer. They couldn't point to anything specific, but they reset the computer and it hasn't missed a beat since.
Riding is therapeutic.
2010 R1200R
2015 R1200RT
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Dad2g5 wrote:Something sounds wrong because mine cranks a little slow but it does start in those temperatures. I ride all year long. The coldest I rode last year was 13 degrees F. Try calling your local dealer if anything is wrong it should be under warranty. Ohh and don't feel bad my bike sleeps outside too.
To make a long story short, I have not had this problem with the R, but have had it with other motorcycles when I lived in colder climates. There was never a problem with the bike per se.
I know there are critical voices about this and would recommend doing some research on the topic first, but I would try putting some starter spray in the snorkel.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Stef.
Lifer

Post by Stef. »

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I had phoned the dealer ship and they said basically that it might be just too cold as the battery worked without a flaw two weeks ago and it has been on the trickle charger for the whole time. I have wrapped the bike up now under covers and well it will have to stay there until February when I will renew my insurance. I just found it a bit annoying that such an expensive, brilliant bike would just give up once it hits really cold temperatures. My car starts without a problem, so why wouldn't my bike?

Anyhow...will check the battery in spring.
Stef.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
R1200R (2010)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I agree with you Stef, I don't mind having to coax my carbureted bikes to life when it's below freezing, but if we have to foot all the expense for electronic ignition, fuel injection and God knows how many on-board computers then the damn thing should start whenever we want it to. My car does.
My bikes live in an attached garage that rarely gets below 40 degrees so cold isn't a big issue with my R1200R. My worst cold weather bike is my Valkyrie - that thing really doesn't like the cold weather.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Stef. wrote:Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I had phoned the dealer ship and they said basically that it might be just too cold as the battery worked without a flaw two weeks ago and it has been on the trickle charger for the whole time. I have wrapped the bike up now under covers and well it will have to stay there until February when I will renew my insurance. I just found it a bit annoying that such an expensive, brilliant bike would just give up once it hits really cold temperatures. My car starts without a problem, so why wouldn't my bike?

Anyhow...will check the battery in spring.
Stef.
Stef, that's a bag of downers! Kind of odd though? We get pretty cold winters here in central Indiana, multiple subzero days in a row are not uncommon. My R12R bike has not failed to start in the years I've owned it. The first week of every non-riding month I put my bikes on the battery tender till the green light glows, then start it and let it get warm, occasionallly hit the go button between charging just to here the purrr. My bikes do live in a garage but it's not heated so "just too cold" sounds a little lame to me.

Oh well hopefully when you unwrap her in the spring all will be well. [-o<
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

Hey Stef,

It's not too cold nor a bad battery. My 2¢ is just give her a little gas when you're turning the engine over. I know fuel injection... shouldn't need it... but it will work. If that doesn't do it next beer is on me (and we're even in the same city to collect!).

Dan.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
Mark_1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 875

Post by Mark_1 »

Hello Stef,

Warming up the engine (and battery) is a good option. Another would be to hook up a jump start cable and boost the battery from a running vehicle. If the bike is turning over, but not catching, the extra help may do the trick. Cold battery's have greatly diminished capacity. If cables are not available you might try disconnecting and taking the battery inside for a couple of days to warm up and charge.

Mark_1
"... Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright
Liam
Lifer
Donating Member #: 780

Post by Liam »

Stef,

If you've decided to leave it where it is until February, there are a few minimal things to do to avoid problems in the Spring.

Put the bike on the center stand and, if possible, put something under the engine block so both wheels are off the ground. Over fill the tires by about five pounds. These measures avoid flat spots on the tires.

Fill the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer. The full tank avoids rusting inside the tank. The stabilizer (I think) will make it easier to start in the Spring. Even if you can't start the engine to circulate the stabilizer, there will be some diffusion, which is better than nothing

Unless your wrapping is doing the job, put a plug in the air intake horn on the right side of the fuel tank. This will avoid having mice make a home in your air box and a meal of your wiring.

If your oil is low, topping up might be a good idea (diffusion again). I assume you're using 5wSOMETHING for the cold weather.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to bring your seat and battery indoors. The battery should be on a charger whether you bring it in or not.

Sorry if this is all obvious, but it felt like there were loose ends to tie up.

Good luck,

Liam
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Back from Turkey Day and wondering if this bike started up? A couple of suggestions. When cold out, you have very little reserve to play with as far as the battery goes. So you need to try all the tricks the first time out before the battery gets flat. First, pull the clutch lever so the starter doesn't have the added load of the cold tranny fluid. Second, as mentioned by Lumpy, you want to crack the throttle a bit to avoid the motor stalling immediately after it fires. This will provide enough power to overcome the cold engine oil.

Once running, you want to hold the idle up just a bit for a minute or two to allow the engine to heat up enough to run on it's own.

If this doesn't work (at 20+ degrees f), then you may have other issues.
RT-Mike
Basic User

Post by RT-Mike »

Stef,I think before I would leave the bike set out til Feb. I would try to load it on a trailer and get to your friends garage...or even have it towed if need be...just my 2 cents

Good luck,Mike
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

Stef, I have never experienced weather conditions like you go through, and to be honest don't want to. - 29 degrees WTF, how does a country function with that cold. I know one thing though, get the bike under cover. Get your old man to take it to your friends garage. Don't leave it out in thoughs conditions, all sorts will go wrong. The whole bike will freeze up, really!!!
citrusbbee
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 553

Post by citrusbbee »

Stef,
I live in a cold climate, too (Minnesota). Below freezing and below 0F is the norm for a few months. Once my bikes have been put away and not ridden for some weeks, they will not start during our cold winters, even though they are on battery maintainers. I think it's because the oil is too thick when it's this cold. I wouldn't worry about something being wrong. If your bike started and ran good before the cold weather, it'll be fine. I would, however, somehow get it to your friend's garage or other inside storage. In my humble opinion, the elements can wreak havoc on a bike even if covered.
-Citrus
Citrusbbee
Member #553
'04 Rockster Ed80 (#967)
'15 R1200RT
sky_sailor
Basic User

Post by sky_sailor »

Come on folks. It's an internal combustion engine. It should spark up in the temps mentioned. I'd be pissed!
You have a weak battery. I'd almost put money on it. If you don't happen to be parked on a hill (my favourite trick) try getting a boost with a set of very light duty cables....the kind you'd use on a quad etc. You can buy them at CDN TIRE cheap.
Take it to the dealer and have him do a load check on the battery. AND, get him to replace the battery. Switch to synthetic oil.
Lyle
When in doubt, chicken out...
CrankyGeezer
Basic User

Post by CrankyGeezer »

+1 on the bad battery. FWIIW, my bike starts without a problem at the temps mentioned.
Bryan

2009 BMW R1200R Biarritz Blue
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

+2 on the bad battery... Cold weather causes a weak battery to tank, and I make it a habit to change them at the first sign of cold start problems, because it is an absolute indicator of a problem. If it is an Exide, many of us would not use one ever again due to the sudden battery death syndrome that has bitten us.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES