Help needed installing new handlebars

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

tlwood28
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Help needed installing new handlebars

Post by tlwood28 »

On a whim I bought Wunderlich's "touring wellness handlebar" for the R1150R.

1. Is there anything I need to be aware of or know before I tackle the change out?

2. Will the GS handguards still work on this bar?

Any advice, direction, do's, don't do's, etc. all appreciated.

Thanks

Tom W.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Help needed installing new handlebars

Post by boxermania »

Can't help you with the install of the Wunderlich's, however, if they are for a R1150R they should fit OK. I must caution you with the wiring to the heated hand grips if so fitted as the wiring is fairly fragile. If the new bar is not a direct replacement you might consider bar risers, which are far easie to install and don't affect any of the cables/controls.

Good luck.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
harveyrawn
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by harveyrawn »

I put the same bar on the same bike model. Everything works fine, including the hand guards. The brake and other lines need to be rerouted outside of the headlamp bracket (Just unmount the headlamp temporarily) where they are long enough to reach lock-to-lock.

I got impatient replacing my bar and tore the wires loose from the left heated handgrip. I reattached them and all is well. You'll need to remove the tank to disconnect and reconnect those wires.

A few months after installing the bar, the brake line from the reservoir started leaking at its lower banjo bolt and I replaced it. It is stretched to its limit with the bar in place so you might keep an eye on yours following installation.
Harvey
Recharged on an '02
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

I did the same installation on my 2002 and 2004 with an ABS.
Clutch line and front break line need to be rerouted.
When installing the bar, do the right side first and then move the bar to the right and do the left side.
When you will take the bike for a test ride, be careful on the corners. Your bike will feel like it lost 150 pounds. :D
Good Luck.
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!