San Francisco

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

r12gecko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

San Francisco

Post by r12gecko »

Any tips for riding the SF area in June?

The gf is thinking of renting us an RT while we're mucking about on the west coast. Big birthday coming up (think old Hawaii cop show title); we're driving down from Vancouver BC & then hanging around the Sonoma & the Bay area for a few days.

Rental place in mind is: http://www.dubbelju.com/Bikes-for-Rent.htm

I was thinking to have a Harley until I read this:

HD Electra Glide
Displacement 1450 cc
Horsepower 60 hp
Weight 711 lbs

BMW RT
Displacement 1170 cc
Horsepower 110 hp
Weight 571 lbs

I had great fun on a Fat Boy last summer in the desert outside of Vegas, but the tree-hugger in me just can't stomach the Electra Glide stats...
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
LumpyCam
Basic User

Re: San Francisco

Post by LumpyCam »

Here's a ride report for Vancouver to San Francisco and back.
http://dailyrider.blogspot.com/2009/04/ ... sh-09.html

I had a particularly good time riding through the Shasta-Trinity Forest area. Stay west of the I5 and you pretty much can't go wrong where you point the front tire.

Of all my miles Hwy 80 into SF has been one of my scariest rides.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

I really enjoyed riding the avenue of the giants coming down from Oregon into San Francisco. It's a nice winding road through the giant redwoods.
Mike
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

LumpyCam wrote:Of all my miles Hwy 80 into SF has been one of my scariest rides.
We call it "The Maze." Scary, indeed. I take the bike into The City on that highway a few times a year. Requires one's full attention.

Best way into The City from the north is Hwy. 101. Through Marin County and across the Golden Gate. Set your GPS accordingly...

As said above, stay off the 5 and onto 1, 101 and other roads. Nice routes through Mt. Lassen area, too. If time allows, get over to the coast at Eureka and come south from there, through Mendocino, etc...
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali