Just put a deposit on a R1200R classic...Update!!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

VanDan
Basic User

Just put a deposit on a R1200R classic...Update!!

Post by VanDan »

Hopefully going over to the dealer next week to finalize the deal.

Factory demo model with just over 700km.
Dealer added sport windscreen, luggage racks and 1st service at no charge. Saved over $3000.

Have a few mods lined up already.

Went with the luggage racks as it looks like the BMW panniers and top case can be put on/off very quickly and no ugly racks when cases are off-very integrated

Those with the panniers, does a full face helmet fit in the side case?

Will have lots of questions over the next little while, but very excited.

Cheers,
Dan
Last edited by VanDan on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: Just put a deposit on a R1200R classic

Post by websterize »

VanDan wrote:Those with the panniers, does a full face helmet fit in the side case?
Yes. And congratulations on the deal.
Bill
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Congratulations!

I don't know if they have changed the design from the 2009 model to 2011/12, but you want to make sure the luggage rack mounts are the ones that also accommodate the rear top case. The 2009 model and previous models had two styles of luggage rack mounts; one that accepts only the side cases and another that accepts the side and rear top case mount. My bike came with side cases and the mounts that accepted only the side cases and I had to purchase new mounts to accept the rear top case mounting system.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
nylife
Lifer
Donating Member #: 956

Post by nylife »

congrats
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects handlebars to the saddle.
2009 R12R
dav
Lifer
Donating Member #: 798

Post by dav »

Nice one mate, cant wait to see the pics when you pick it up.
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Nice. I've had my Classic for a few months now and love it more every time I ride it.
gibbo111
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gibbo111 »

Full face fits in the side cases

2007 R1200R
2009 HP2S
devguy
Basic User

Post by devguy »

fastdogs2 wrote:Congratulations!

I don't know if they have changed the design from the 2009 model to 2011/12, but you want to make sure the luggage rack mounts are the ones that also accommodate the rear top case. The 2009 model and previous models had two styles of luggage rack mounts; one that accepts only the side cases and another that accepts the side and rear top case mount. My bike came with side cases and the mounts that accepted only the side cases and I had to purchase new mounts to accept the rear top case mounting system.

Bill
They still have two mounts...I just bought a 2012 that was equipped with the mounts that don't hold the top case. I'd recommend getting the more expensive mounts as they include a rear luggage rack that you can use even if you have no need for the top case.

My local dealer here in Portland equips bikes differently when they show them on the floor. In my case I could have bought a gray one with the better mounts or the (beautiful) red one with the smaller ones. I chose color over convenience figuring I could always spend more money later.
VanDan
Basic User

Post by VanDan »

These are the racks that come with the bike, I'm assuming they will hold both the top & side cases. Can anyone confirm?

http://motoprofi.com/imgs/a/a/v/p/g/bmw ... _1_lgw.jpg

Cheers,
Dan
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

VanDan wrote:These are the racks that come with the bike, I'm assuming they will hold both the top & side cases. Can anyone confirm?

http://motoprofi.com/imgs/a/a/v/p/g/bmw ... _1_lgw.jpg

Cheers,
Dan
Yup - that is the topcase grid on the back there. Easy to slap the topcase on there.

If you're interested, I'm working a mount for my Givi and will likely be getting rid of a nearly new 28 L BMW topcase pretty quick.
Last edited by SF_Hooligan on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rogerinth
Basic User

Post by rogerinth »

Congratulations - came across one in Bangkok recently and tried to buy. Owner wasn't interest at any price and I'm not surprised - beautiful machine! Enjoy and ride safe.
Roger - Bangkok, Thailand
VanDan
Basic User

Re: Just put a deposit on a R1200R classic...Update!!

Post by VanDan »

Well the deal is finalized.

Unfortunately the bike is still over on Vancouver Island and I won't be able to pick it up until my work schedule and the weather co-operate. Could be a week. Could be a month.
Have some subtle mods planned to make it unique. Very excited.

Some pics (hopefully this works)

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]

Cheers
Dan
mkatz
Basic User

Post by mkatz »

Naive question, perhaps: The "classic" is pretty. The wire spokes require, I believe, a tube-type tire. When a flat occurs it is both more difficult to repair and tends to deflate more rapidly (as per my experience with my old R50). Is my concern unreasonable?
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

mkatz wrote:Naive question, perhaps: The "classic" is pretty. The wire spokes require, I believe, a tube-type tire. When a flat occurs it is both more difficult to repair and tends to deflate more rapidly (as per my experience with my old R50). Is my concern unreasonable?
No - not at all.
But remember people buy motorcycles for all kinds of different reasons. Some of us think about having a problem far from home that we have to resolve alone and try to minimize the chances of getting in trouble, while others may only worry about riding through a mud puddle on a Sunday ride around town and getting the bike dirty.
Different strokes for different folks - it's all good, and those wheels are pretty.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

mogu83 wrote:
mkatz wrote:Naive question, perhaps: The "classic" is pretty. The wire spokes require, I believe, a tube-type tire. When a flat occurs it is both more difficult to repair and tends to deflate more rapidly (as per my experience with my old R50). Is my concern unreasonable?
No - not at all.
But remember people buy motorcycles for all kinds of different reasons. Some of us think about having a problem far from home that we have to resolve alone and try to minimize the chances of getting in trouble, while others may only worry about riding through a mud puddle on a Sunday ride around town and getting the bike dirty.
Different strokes for different folks - it's all good, and those wheels are pretty.
:lol: Kinds sounds like you're saying guys with Classics are akin to Starbucks-posing Harley/Ducati riders.

It's not really that simple. I bought a Classic last Fall. I haven't washed it since it came home, and it's seen substantially more dirt than most GSes and other "adventure" bikes. I ride the piss out of my bike, in spite of the pretty wheels. 8)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

And I wash and wax mine every chance I get. As I said, about people, "Different strokes for different folks - it's all good,".
But I think most people would rather stick a plug in a tire and carry on rather then breaking a wheel down on the side of the road,with tire irons, to replace or repair a tube, and I assume it would be more of a concern to people that travel far and alone. Naturally I could be wrong, their might be someone out there that would enjoy spending an hour or so on some back road, in the rain or at night fixing a ripped tube (assuming they were carrying a spare).

Last year in Canada before we hit the muddy dirt roads.

The rear seal barely made it home and left an interesting mixture of oil and mud on the inside of the rear wheel.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

mogu83 wrote:And I wash and wax mine every chance I get. As I said, about people, "Different strokes for different folks - it's all good,".
But I think most people would rather stick a plug in a tire and carry on rather then breaking a wheel down on the side of the road,with tire irons, to replace or repair a tube, and I assume it would be more of a concern to people that travel far and alone. Naturally I could be wrong, their might be someone out there that would enjoy spending an hour or so on some back road, in the rain or at night fixing a ripped tube (assuming they were carrying a spare).

The rear seal barely made it home and left an interesting mixture of oil and mud on the inside of the rear wheel.
I travel far and alone, and it's true that I'd rather stick a plug in and carry on myself. But I figure the amount of time I'll spend fixing tires is extremely small versus the time I'll be riding, so I don't care too much. Also, I've had a lot of bikes over the years, and only bikes with tubeless tires have failed me on the road. So I've scientifically proven that tubed tires are superior. :mrgreen:

More seriously, I'll admit that the tubed tires gave me pause. I thought about it quite a bit, and am semi-actively looking into solutions, like having the wheels sealed or converting to sealed spoke nipples. Maybe I'll do that, maybe I won't. I love the bike, though, so I don't worry about it too much. I've also considered - when bombing down some fireroad 10 miles out from pavement as dusk approaches, for example - if I should've gotten a GS instead. For now, I'll carry spare tubes on long trips just in case. Not that big of a deal.

If you stop washing your bike so much, you won't have problems with the rear seal. :lol: