Insurance for Foreign Nationals

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Insurance for Foreign Nationals

Post by Mark »

Hi everyone,

Can anyone provide some experience with Motorcycle Insurance for Foreign Nationals.

My wife and I are shipping our bikes to the US for a holiday in the US and Canada and need insurance for our bikes.
There seems to be two main providers of this type of insurance which specializes in cover for foreign nationals - Motorcycle Express and Fernet.

Motorcycle Express seems a little more modern in their online presence but that's possibly a superficial thing.

Both are expensive - for two months it can be anywhere between $600 and $900 per bike - ouch! But it's great peace of mind.

So - any comments from the experts?
Mark
2012 BMW R1200R - Light Grey Metallic
Sydney - Australia
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Re: Insurance for Foreign Nationals

Post by Caol »

I've no previous experience with this, but would also suggest talking with your own insurance broker/company and see if they would extend your coverage for a more reasonable price and/or have a suggestion for a U.S. or Canadian provider.

In Canada vehicle insurance is regulated at the Provincial level, with each Province having its own regulations and, in some cases such as B.C., the government is the provider. So insurance coverage is determined by place of residence, but is then good for Canada/U.S. for travel.

I have previously dealt with RidersPlus in Ontario and found them to be very responsive to email inquiries, so they may be able to give you a hand.

They can be found at: http://www.ridersplus.com/

Kyle
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes