L'Beakster Bash 2008 Re-cap

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

scottybooj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

L'Beakster Bash 2008 Re-cap

Post by scottybooj »

I arrived home at 10:45am this morning(sunday), after having a spirited, sunny, event-free ride with NO traffic, even in NYC, from L'Beakster Bash 2008 back to Long Island.

The weekend started, for me, on Thursday afternoon after meeting up with a friend (Dave Hecht on the Concours 14) and his buddy (Dave on the Blackbird) to start our journey to the Bash from Queens, NY. After lane splitting through the Bronx to get to the George Washington Bridge, we were elated to see traffic moving at a great pace on I-80. Figures, I bring guests and they're both on jap bikes. But so were Rich(cupOhemlock and MikeCam)....oh, those were K-Bikes :shock: , sorry for the mistake! :lol:

Fast forward a few hours and we were travelling up Rte. 93 towards Shickshinny, passing a nuclear reactor :shock: and on through Benton and into Central and the Central Park Hotel where already some members had already arrived and were kicking back in the bar area and on the porch. My group and I had some dinner, followed by some dingle, and ended the night hanging out on the porch with a cigar.

Friday all of us awoke to that rejuvenator of life, RAIN. And lots of it! Breakfast was a buffet of fruit, eggs, potatoes, biscuits, gravy, bacon, sausage and I believe waffles or french toast...can't remember cause I didn't eat it! What looked like a break in the rain but was merely a brief respite, kickstarted those who were going to set out on their rides. My group of three decided to take off first and head up towards Eagle's Mere through Ricketts Glen State Park, then meander at a leisurely pace stopping twice for refreshments and lunch before making our first major layover, the Lycoming Mall. We had enjoyed our rainy ride the last few hours and were all safe and dry! We stopped by an outdoor mega-store and then decided that seeing a movie would be a great addition to this rainy day. So we saw Iron Man. (very entertaining, great effects)

On our way back we ran into CycleRob in his truck, CTRider had apparently broken down 6 miles up the road on his way to the Bash and Rob was going to pick him up and save the day! =D> Our group was not needed for this mission so we then headed back to the hotel for some drinks and a well deserved rest!

What first was thought of as bad fuel causing the problem eventually became a diagnosis of a bad hall sensor. MikeCam stepped up and lent his BIKE to CTrider so that he could go to a dealer and try to locate one. This was not to be, so he called a tow as well as his family back home in Connecticut. His wife and daughter came out to pick him up, but before leaving they enjoyed some conversation, drinks and food on the patio with the group. Very nice family.

Large groups formed at dinner and the conversations were quite amusing! It's interesting to see the confluence of all of our 'online' personalities with our 'real-life' personalities as well as matching faces to screen names. I am quite sure that I am not what many expected...I most definitely am one of those 'love 'em or hate 'em types! :-k

Friday ended with more drinks in the bar and front porch with some great wine provided by Daryl Stamp and his lovely wife, Gabriella. They brought out quite a few bottles of New York State wine and generously shared them with others. After counting how many bottles they had brought with them, I am wondering how many clothes they had packed and where they went! :D My friends retired early so rumors spread of Dave and Dave, both married mind you, having a 'Brokeback' evening in the mountains! :lol: Not that there's anything wrong with that! :p My friend's friend was a bit on the snobby side so I found this teasing quite amusing...at his expense! :p

Saturday greeted us with the same breakfast spread as Friday but with pancakes instead. But what was really different was the weather! Sun, lots of sun! So, the groups quickly formed and headed out in waves for their daily rides. My friends had to leave this morning to head back to NY, so I hooked up with Jeff(Biff), CycleRob, JohnnyJS1 and his girlfriend Janice and headed out towards the Grand Canyon of Pa. Thad (touchton) was going to leave with us but he went to get gas and better cell service to make some calls. (wait! He left with my rain gear in his side bag! #-o )

A little side note on JohnnyJS1 and Janice. The two showed up friday night, late, in the pouring rain, with Janice not having on any rain gear! :shock: She was wet, frozen and quite pissed off! Apparently she left Ohio in the fair weather and hoped the weather fairies would carry this weather with her and watch over her at all times, therefore leaving her rain gear at home. Little did she realize that like guns and ammo, fairies cannot be transported across state lines! :badgrin: :shock: Silly little girl! :p [-X

Ok, back to sunny saturday. After meandering in sunny weather towards Wellsboro and the Grand Canyon, through pastures, farmland, hilly country, fast moving rivers and parkland all rolled up into one ride, we made it in separate groups to the Grand Canyon. Funny thing is that most of the riders met up at a gas station half way to the canyon, rode out together and went separate ways, all arriving within 15 minutes of each other. The canyon was a beautiful valley cut by a river that, despite the quite frigid temps of it's waters, had a few kayakers enjoying the nice pace and scenery.

Biff, Touchton and myself then headed out and high tailed it to Williamsport and the Bullfrog Brewery. Clouds were forming as we departed the Canyon. Touchton noticed on his blackberry that a weather mass was headed our way while sitting in the Brewery, so he suggested we just have a drink and boogie out of there. Then I started reading the menu...so many delicious choices!!! :-k Thad encouraged me to drop the menu so I wouldn't be tempted but after reading aloud some of the suggestions, most notably the Shrimp Po'boy and Persian platter of humus, baba ghanoush and olives, we caved and ordered two dishes to split amongst us. Dang, that po'boy was gooooood! =D>

We quickly ate, drank our brew and hit the road. We evaded rain until the last 5 miles and arrived at the CPH barely wet.

Group after group arrived as the rain came on. It was about 6pm when all had returned. Drinks on the patio resumed with some very funny conversations, most of which can only be posted in the Member's section!

Dinner was followed by the door prizes of which there were many thanks to Jim(STDoclizard), Marty(marty2), Vann(wncbmw), Phil(Boxer), Dave (beemeridian) and Jeff(biff) all of which either donated some of their own stuff or procured it from dealers like Holt's BMW, Touch of Class BMW, Herme's BMW as well as non-dealer supplied items from Tony Soprano! :lol:

Everybody at dinner walked away with a door prize thanks to these generous members and supporters. Hats off to you all. =D>

The list of attenedees(from my memory, so there may be errors...sorry)

StDoclizard
Marty2 and son
Beemeridian
machew
towerworker
Paul R.(towerworker's buddy)
dyskyzd
NoRRmad
wncbmw
CycleRob
JSlater
Johnnyjs1 and his gf Janice
DarylStamp and his wife Gabriella (MLW)
MikeCam
mitchell
CTrider
challey
Biff'sR
Touchton
CupOHemlock
TonyT607
secondwind
me, scottybooj, and my friend Dave Hecht and his friend Dave from Kentucky,now in brooklyn.

Special thanks to Jim Lane(STDoclizard) for his advice, scouting reports, information, and all around help, all of which he provides in a gentle manner.

I did not bring my camera so pics will follow when either I get them from those who took them or they post them themselves.

Rumors are starting about next year's Bash...stay tuned!
Last edited by scottybooj on Mon May 19, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Re: L'Beakster Bash 2008 Re-cap

Post by Biff's R »

I'm home.

Gotta clean my stuff up. Will post later.

add machew to the list of attendees.
Last edited by Biff's R on Sun May 18, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Scott,
Sounds like you guys had the usual good time. Did my package show up at the last minute or is it coming back to me for disbursement? If so let me know who gets what.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Oh man I wish i was there! Sounds like all had a GREAT time! =D> To Scotty for posting up!
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Re: L'Beakster Bash 2008 Re-cap NGF Dial-Up

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Our first Bash event: Hey Honey, you're going to love it; we're staying at the Central Park Hotel, just like being in Manhattan!

First long stop, Mt Pisgah State Park PA. After 15 miles of dirt roads in NY & PA we found a paved one into the park.

This is Ed Fischer again. We me him last year, he's a 70+ guy with the really cool bike shop, really cool wife & a couple of his most recent tropies (Barber last Oct & Daytona this spring). He Still Plays With Motorcycles; he also showed me the bends in both legs from where he broke them racing in '58.

We made it to Worlds End too (woohoo!)

A few miles from the CPH we got behind this :shock: . Seems they made a wrong turn & were trying to back up, but all that was backing up was traffic. Four vehicles lined up after 20 minutes of road blockage in rural PA is considered significant congestion. At the displeasure of MLW :!: I used the 4 feet available in the oncoming lane to get around this truck.

We arrive @ CPH and I finally find out that STDoclizard stands for ST rider, Doc for Dr. & Lizard for a local group. And all this time I thought he calling himself a Lizardly Doctor of STD's, my mistake :D :D :D :oops: :oops: :oops: . Kudos to STDoclizard for the up-front work of putting the event together & scouting for GREAT roads.

Another Infidel in the Camp; the bike not MLW (nice bike BTW).

More attendees.

The Guru of R1150R.

A beacon for the local Flora & Fauna.

DJ; This one's for you.

Hey, are you going to eat the rest of that? This guy was looking over the shoulder of everybody in the restaurant (Hotel).

Yeah, I ate all of it.

The Endless Brokeback Banjo Gang on the front porch (banjo not included), it was the Guru's idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Think of the theme song of Deliverance

It was a cold & rainy night @ the CPH, all was quiet except for the sound of .... riders wringing out their gear, revelry and the occasional...... :shock: :shock: :shock: .

The next day started with a fine selection of grub;

More to come .............................

DLS
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Post by TonyT607 »

scottybooj wrote:The list of attenedees(from my memory, so there may be errors...sorry)

StDoclizard
Marty2 and son
Beemeridian
towerworker
Paul R.(towerworker's buddy)
dyskyzd
NoRRmad
wncbmw
CycleRob
JSlater
Johnnyjs1 and his gf Janice
DarylStamp and his wife Gabriella (MLW)
MikeCam
mitchell
CTrider
challey
Biff'sR
Touchton
CupOHemlock
me, scottybooj, and my friend Dave Hecht and his friend Dave.

Special thanks to Jim Lane(STDoclizard) for his advice, scouting reports, information, and all around help, all of which he provides in a gentle manner.

I did not bring my camera so pics will follow when either I get them from those who took them or they post them themselves.

Rumors are starting about next year's Bash...stay tuned!
Dude.....I know I left a day early, but WTF....don't I rate ? Where is the love (and I don't mean your hotel room)....

It was great making new friends and seeing old ones.
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

sorry guys. that's what you get tony for jetting out way early on yer fancy ST.

boxer, i'm having the hotel send the package back to you. i'll get you the winners' names once i remember them all.

daryl got a hadz.
mikecam got the shirt from last year. :lol:
the other two are escaping me but i think it may be towerworker with the battery tester...i'll get back to ya
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
johnnyjs1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 607

Post by johnnyjs1 »

I'll get some pics up later today....Who knew the Rockster makes a good off-road bike :shock:
See, I told you guys, half the time I dont know what I'm talking about.
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

Johnny, just to let you know...if any compromising pics of me eating or making weird faces makes it to the board...I will be forced to post the audio recording of your first night at the bash. :shock: Was that fighting or...?????? :p

oh, and that IS the BEST avatar ever! :badgrin:
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
johnnyjs1
Lifer

Post by johnnyjs1 »

What the hell??? Janyss was not mad at all. No idea why you guys all think she was :-k . Just cuz she was miserable that first night when we pulled in, doesnt mean she was mad. Maybe you are confusing the noises coming from our room as fighting.......but i promise you it wasn't fighting 8-[ . Believe me scotty, as soon as the camera charges, i'm dedicating a thread for pictures taken of you :badgrin:
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/ ... C00006.jpg
Is it just me, or does your SO not look real happy? :-k :lol:
johnnyjs1
Lifer

Post by johnnyjs1 »

Steve....thats not me if thats what your saying [-X
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

I had a great time at the Bash! The weather was not overly good, but the company was... even the guys from LonggggIsland.

I used my Official Bash Thermos today too.

I hope we have an excuse to get together before the next Bash, but if not I have lots of good memories to rely upon... except the rain of course :)

COH (Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

johnnyjs1 wrote:Steve....thats not me if thats what your saying [-X
I know it is not you, but I would like to see a pic of your MUG! =P~ :lol:
johnnyjs1
Lifer

Post by johnnyjs1 »

Camera is charging....pics will be up later this afternoon or tonight at the latest :twisted: The pictures may or may not contain some incriminating evidence. Janyss (SO) had the camera, and she was a bit buzzed, so god only knows what activities the lens caught :badgrin:
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SecondWind
Lifer

Post by SecondWind »

Wow, What fun the BASH was!!

First, I must THANK Scotty, DOC (aka Jim Lane I think), and Marty for all of their hours of effort in putting this thing together! Great Job!!!!! Great rides!

Second, since I am new to your group, I am Paul, aka SecondWind on this board. It will take me a while to figure what Face Fits the Name that fits YOUR "R" handle. Meeting you really personalizes the discussion board for me and I also know what to expect from differing personalaties of the members.

Thanks for welcoming me and I enjoyed every minute. I would describe each of you as Unique Characters with Character. Riding, camaraderie, and fun is your common bond. I also like that there are no Club meetings, no rules (except for MikeCams rules ) outside of good taste and common sense. The silver lining in the clouds for me is that the big rains on Friday let me get to know you all better. In addition to this I was priveledged to meet the Ideal Biker's Wife (or is that Motorcyclists) and the Dream Bikers Girlfriend - they are both Keepers!

I hope to get together w VA and NC riders for some riding during the year and look forward to seeing you all again at Hungry Mother in Aug. and on this board.

Best Regards!
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Beemeridian - the unidentified fellow in in the yellow hat in your picture above is Steve Mitchell - he who seldom posts but always worthwhile contributions! (I remembered that Steve! :lol: )
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitchell
Lifer
Donating Member #: 463

Post by Mitchell »

To quote Father Mulcahy from *MASH*, "That's OK, I am frequently mistaken for being absent."

Mitchell