Don't misunderstand me, I love my r1200r, but it does sound like a large sewing machine most of the time.
Question: Is it possible to take the exhaust baffle out of a stock exhaust system?
Baffling?
Moderator: Moderators
- ThoronanIronHorse
- Basic User
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 am
- Location: The Mountains of South-East Europe
Baffling?
_______________________
Crystal Grey R1200R 2007
Crystal Grey R1200R 2007
Re: Baffling?
No one has tried - Most of the folk go to an aftermarket muffler. Over here (USA) it really doesn't matter what you hang on your exhaust (yet), but I understand your problem across the pond. There are some aftermarket mufflers that are Europe legal, Ztechnic for one. It would be interesting to just run a large drill down the back of a stock muffler to see if it would enhance the sewing machine sound. Good luck.
You can search muffler, but I've been on here from almost the beginning (R1200R) and don't remember anyone modifying the stock muffler.
You can search muffler, but I've been on here from almost the beginning (R1200R) and don't remember anyone modifying the stock muffler.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Re: Baffling?
The question is, have you heard a R1200R with a aftermarket exhaust? (in the flesh not on youtube). I was going to keep my stock exhaust when i first bought my bike, BUT one day while riding to work it all changed (for the good), i heard a R12R without the stock can fitted & it sounded real nice, so the next day i ordered one & 3days later i was grinning from ear to ear with that lovely flat boxer twin tune.
Mate buy a after market can, its well worth it.
Mate buy a after market can, its well worth it.
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
- AncientMariner
- Lifer
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm
- Location: Stoughton, MA
Re: Baffling?
Dav,
So which one did you buy?
Bruce
So which one did you buy?
Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
-
ContraMoto
- Basic User
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:03 pm
Re: Baffling?
I have a Ztechnik. I ran it without the baffle at first for a few months. Then I put the baffle in this weekend to check it out. Blah. Baffle is back out and I love the rumbly tone and the nice decel popping sound. Sounds like a motorbike.
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
North Cali
Re: Baffling?
BTW: I'm also running a Ztechnic muffler with the DB killer (Baffle) out. Have well over 10K on the muffler, haven't noticed any great improvements in gas mileage or performance (as expected) but haven't noticed anything negative either. However it does sound nice (IMHO) not obnoxious and I've had a few Beemer riders ask what exhaust I had on the bike.
Just to reaffirm: I installed it not for a performance gain or weight reduction but because I couldn't stand the lack of a motorcycle exhaust note. So let's not get into Dyno graphs and aftermarket vs stock weight savings.
Just to reaffirm: I installed it not for a performance gain or weight reduction but because I couldn't stand the lack of a motorcycle exhaust note. So let's not get into Dyno graphs and aftermarket vs stock weight savings.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Re: Baffling?
I was looking into mufflers for the same reason. I would like to hear the engine a little more than the sewing machine. I kept looking until I had it down to 2: Akrapovic and Staintune. I opted for the Staintune for pricing, and the endorsement from a friend of mine who used to race. I'm going to start a thread when I get it in and try to get some good audio/video to share. So far I have only seen info from the Akra installs, and the video from Staintune is of the GS, not the R.
Mike
Mike
Alpine White 2010 R1200R
Re: Baffling?
Staintune, i love the stainless look, these no repacking & best of all there AussieAncientMariner wrote:Dav,
So which one did you buy?
Bruce
I even have a full Staintune system on my R65, bloody great exhausts.
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380