Which BMW topbox

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Which BMW topbox

Post by riceburner »

Been thinking recently about upgrading my old Givi topbox for a BMW made one, but can't quite figure out which is the 'proper' topbox that would be applicable to the R259 series bikes.

Basically I'd like to match up my ignition key to it: I went through all my BMW locks last weekend (2 different sets of panniers and the rack that takes the canvas bag) and spent a very pleasant half hour matching them all up. Somehow I had exactly the right set of wafers to do all the locks!

I'd imagine that the correct top-box would be the one that fits the R1150R? but I haven't found one yet (I don't think), to check.

I do actually have a box from the R1200R - but it weight about 5 kilos empty and is the wrong key-barrel type. (it'll be going on ebay in a few weeks time I think).

The Givi box - while having served me very well isn't lockable, and 'looks' like the battered 2nd hand freebie hand-me-down that it is.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Which BMW topbox

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote:I went through all my BMW locks last weekend (2 different sets of panniers and the rack that takes the canvas bag) and spent a very pleasant half hour matching them all up. Somehow I had exactly the right set of wafers to do all the locks!
Divine intervention is the only explanation... I've never been so lucky when rekeying those locks, had to buy the kit to get enough correct wafers.

Is the R1150GS top box suitable?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-R ... 1182188110
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I'm not sure if the GS one is suitable.

I actually threw caution to the winds yesterday and splashed out on this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231173116411? ... 1439.l2648

Looks like I'll be abstaining from beer for the rest of the month - but providing it locks to the R-R tail-rack (looks like it should) then I'll be pretty happy. Not sure if it'll take a helmet, but it's not a major issue if it doesn't (can get a helmet in either of my panniers anyway).

I should be ok with the re-keying as well - one of the panniers is unusable as the locking catch is broken off, so I have a 'spare' set of wafers. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Looks like a quality option. Please post a pic of the result.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Looks like a quality option. Please post a pic of the result.
Willdo - with this new box, and some of my other mods - I've got quite a range of luggage carrying methods!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Roy1150R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1133

Post by Roy1150R »

That will hold a lot of beer!
2002 R1150R
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

For getting the RT topcase attached you will have to make modifications to your bike. There is no attachment available from BMW. Have been thinking on modifing it myself.
I read on some K1200RS forum that you should be able to attach the genuine BMW Funduro topcase without any modification. The luggage rack for the K1200RS is the same as the R1150R.

Case is but-uggly though.
Shad & Kappa are decent build quality.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Roy1150R wrote:That will hold a lot of beer!

Not quite as much as my Givi 35 litre - but at least it'll be secure!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

ldeijkva wrote:For getting the RT topcase attached you will have to make modifications to your bike. There is no attachment available from BMW. Have been thinking on modifing it myself.
I read on some K1200RS forum that you should be able to attach the genuine BMW Funduro topcase without any modification. The luggage rack for the K1200RS is the same as the R1150R.

Any idea what sort of mods? I was hoping it would latch straight to the silver rack like the canvas tail-pack does (I have one of these and it latches perfectly to the silver rack on the Rockster / R-R )

Hopefully it'll turn up on Monday.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

Not sure. For the RT case you need a carrier.
See part 4 on this picture: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/y/v/136.png

The bottom of the topcase latches into the carrier. I guess you could try to manufactur somekind of thingy to attachment the carrier to your luggage rack, but...the RT carrier is tilted a bit on the bike. Haven't tried it myself but I'm guessing that if you try to attach it to an R1150R the topcase get slightly tilted to the front. These case are reasonably affordable to get in the Netherlands, you almost never see the carrier for sale though. Maybe on demolition sites.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

ldeijkva wrote:Not sure. For the RT case you need a carrier.
See part 4 on this picture: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/y/v/136.png

The bottom of the topcase latches into the carrier. I guess you could try to manufactur somekind of thingy to attachment the carrier to your luggage rack, but...the RT carrier is tilted a bit on the bike. Haven't tried it myself but I'm guessing that if you try to attach it to an R1150R the topcase get slightly tilted to the front. These case are reasonably affordable to get in the Netherlands, you almost never see the carrier for sale though. Maybe on demolition sites.
You're absolutely right.

Box turned up yesterday and is in pretty good nick :)

Ordered a 2nd hand mounting plate this morning (£25) and should be easy to make up a pair of steel 'wings' to mate the fixing plate to the pannier rails on the bike.

All looking good so far - will post pics when I get a chance.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
jpbpe
Lifer

Post by jpbpe »

I have a 2002 r1150r that needs a top box. I also have a "genuine BMW Funduro top case" from my 97 F650. Unfortunately I'm in NY with the F650 and the r-r is in FL. SOOOO, can someone tell me if the genuine BMW Funduro top case will indeed fit the r-r rear rack? Can I use the same plastic adapter on the r-r as I have on the F650? Many thanks.
riceburner wrote:
ldeijkva wrote:For getting the RT topcase attached you will have to make modifications to your bike. There is no attachment available from BMW. Have been thinking on modifing it myself.

Any idea what sort of mods? I was hoping it would latch straight to the silver rack like the canvas tail-pack does (I have one of these and it latches perfectly to the silver rack on the Rockster / R-R )

Hopefully it'll turn up on Monday.