A very sad day today.....

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ol' Jeffers
Donating Member #: 0

A very sad day today.....

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

I have finally had to admit that the combination of a permanent injury to my foot and a
very unpredictable back is not going to allow me to ride a big Beemer again.
So today I've had to put the R1150R up for sale. :cry: I've done a lot to it and I'm going to miss
not having a big bike to ride.....first time in almost 50 years.
So it looks like au revoir from me.
I need to thank Doug for a really great forum and CycleRob for his invaluable help,
Dr Strangelove for his erudite postings plus all of the other guys here who I've spoken with
over the last couple of years.

I can still keep my knees in the breeze, thankfully, as I still have my Spyder RS-S and I'm going to
Springfield MO this year for the annual SpyderFest. But it isn't the same as riding two wheels/sigh
Last edited by Ol' Jeffers on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
OJ........everybody's pal!!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: A very sad day today.....

Post by towerworker »

I feel for you and sorry for what you're going thru. I'm approaching 60 and hope to ride for many years yet but I have my own set of challenges so I understand. The R is not a light machine and I've had my own times of wrestling with it. Please stay in touch.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Sorry to hear about your situation, but we all are going to have to make this decision sometime in our riding ' career ', it's never an easy thing to do, for something you really enjoy participating in for the last half century .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

We'll, Ol' Jeffers, you're not seeking advice, but let me share a view from a similar age and decrepitude. I'm 73 with a chronically bad back and more recently, neck, and I've quit a number of sports that were more demanding than riding the RR. There's a vintage sports car in my shop which I drive, but it doesn't offer the rush the bike does. On two wheels I've slowed, rides have shortened and I don't feel compelled to pass every Harley any longer. I stay fit, practice the critical skills, concentrate on riding well. Aging is a matter of accommodation, and I decided to try and redefine riding so I didn't have to quit. So far it works. I've enjoyed your contributions to the forum!
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

Thanks Wayne and all those others who have replied.
The 1150 goes on Monday to a guy who is flying in from Spain, an English ex-pat
now living near Malaga.
So my BMW (Black Magic Woman) is off to sunnier climes and a new owner.
Wayne, I sincerely hope that you make a full recovery from your recent extremely
debilitating illness and I shall pass on all of your 'advice' about keeping the anti-freeze
fresh!! :D
I still hope to pop in here from time to time just to say Hi to you great folks...
Shiny side up, chaps!
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Hope to see a New Jeffers arise from the ashes of Bike Trader, and as the poet would say (not sure if it's Homer or Clapton) regale us with Tales of Brave Ulysses on two wheels.

And I, too, have a few years on you! You're a young man.

Having parted with Stella! a few months back I can tell you there will be life beyond Black Magic Woman. Fare well, OJ

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Hope to see a New Jeffers arise from the ashes of Bike Trader, and as the poet would say (not sure if it's Homer or Clapton) regale us with Tales of Brave Ulysses on two wheels.

And I, too, have a few years on you! You're a young man.

Having parted with Stella! a few months back I can tell you there will be life beyond Black Magic Woman. Fare well, OJ

John
Thank you so much for your heartwarming message, John.
Unfortunately everyone is different and my medical problems are unique to me. I have had an active life as an engineer but it's taken its toll on my body!
Black Magic Woman is now on her way to southern Spain and a new life in the sun....I almost wish that I could join her! Her new owner is an ex-pat who has extensive
experience with bikes but this is his first experience with a Beemer.
I will drop in here from time to time to see how my friends here are doing and if I am welcome as a Can-Am Spyder owner I shall let you all know how I'm doing.
I'm off to Springfield MO at the end of this month for a Spyder rally and this event is open to all bikers whatever they ride........Maybe I'll meet one or two of you there!
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I've enjoyed your posts and rest assured that, at least as far as I'm concerned, you're always welcome here, bike or no... =D> :D
Rich
ADIOS!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Ol' Jeffers wrote:Thanks Wayne and all those others who have replied.
The 1150 goes on Monday to a guy who is flying in from Spain, an English ex-pat
now living near Malaga.
So my BMW (Black Magic Woman) is off to sunnier climes and a new owner.
Wayne, I sincerely hope that you make a full recovery from your recent extremely
debilitating illness and I shall pass on all of your 'advice' about keeping the anti-freeze
fresh!! :D
I still hope to pop in here from time to time just to say Hi to you great folks...
Shiny side up, chaps!

How weird... I'm going out to Malaga in May to visit my wife's boss! (well - she's going, I'm accompanying).

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with the bike.
Have you looked into getting something much lighter?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

Not at this stage RB.....although a lighter bike bike may appeal.
Chuxter
Basic User

Post by Chuxter »

Darn ya....I too am over 50 yrs of riding and am feeling my age...trying to remove all mirrors in the house. Wife had a hip replacement 2 yrs back and still rides but not as much. The friends are falling away with age and affliction. Hope all goes well with you and Im hoping to bucket across the US with a young friend of my son-in law. As another said...rise from the ashes...Just my thots...how did this happen to us? :D
2003 R1150R