Favourite riding location - Google Earth style

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

KaneToad
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Favourite riding location - Google Earth style

Post by KaneToad »

Google earth is my new toy for viewing riding locations. What a great peice of software, well worth looking at if you haven't seen it.

Here's an image of my local run, Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious, on the outskirts of Brisbane, there are two other ways off the mountain, the section taken is the shortest (steepest) way to the top.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=293353

Anyone have the locations of their local run? Be interesting to see the terrain types people take their 50r's
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Google Earth Rocks, Nasa's World Wind is also cool because it has better resolution for the US.

Sweet looking road.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Xray28
Basic User

Favorite Roads

Post by Xray28 »

I am lucky in that I live right off my favorite road. California Highway 36. From Alton to Red Bluff It's 132 miles of continuous turns. Then it's on to Mt. Lassen. On a good day there's no better road I know of. Stay away in winter it isn't regularly bladed after a snow. In early Spring there's some nasty places for ice to hide in the shady turns. The last 30 or so miles can get pretty warm in the summer since Red Bluff regularly goes into triple digits. Red Bluff has the longest stoplights in the world on a hot day sitting over a hot engine in black riding gear! It's still good :D
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

Right click this link and save the .kmz file to your computer (it's small, 11KB).

http://mysite.verizon.net/dskyzd/rt16.kmz

Open the file in Google Earth. It will probably be in the Temporary Places folder in the Places pane. Expand it until you see "Route". Select Route and hit the play button.

You may want to adjust some options:
Control Tab (advanced box checked)
Cameral Tilt Angle: 70
Camera Range: 2000
Speed: about 1/3 from the left.
View Tab:
Elevation Exaggeration: 2

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

...and one of that famous twisty road.
Highway 129
Deal's Gap
The Tail of the Dragon

http://mysite.verizon.net/dskyzd/dragon.kmz

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Macs

Post by MikeCam »

Brian,

I run Macs so both Nasa World Wind and Google earth are out for me.

If you were to enter Fletcher, Virginia as the location and pan out to show 50 or 75 miles from that center...would it produce a high oblique shot like the one you showed of Burkes Garden?

I'd like to see that.

M
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Brian,
I remember riding WV/VA 16. It has great twisties from the Ohio River to at least Marion, VA(200+ miles). What a great road, but alas like Mike Cam one of the few things that my mac will not yet support is google earth. Which is interesting since google is the search engine that is built in to the Safari web browser.

Try OH 555 from Marietta, OH to Zanesville, OH.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

I could route from Marietta to Zanesville but it used interstate. Couldn't get it to highlight 555 but this should be the right area.

JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
garylspolar
Lifer

Post by garylspolar »

Biff:

Found a description of 555, at http://www.angelfire.com/fl/roslewski/oh.html I've got to get there this summer.

Ohio
Northeast. Riverview Road
. Both scenic and twisty, low traffic density, good road condition. Riverview Road runs along the Cuyahoga Scenic railroad though the Ohio Valley. The Road has some great tight turns and long fast straits. Some sections are newly paved; others are heavily patched and bumpy. The section that I ride the most starts at Pleasant Valley (E. of 77) just before Canal road. A great ride down to 303 where you can stop at the winking Lizard in Peninsula. If you continue south in to Akron, you will find some newly paved high-speed roads with easy turns. Watch for park rangers.

Southeast, State Route 555. Twisty, low traffic density, good road condition. Take US50 west from Belpre Ohio. Go about 8 miles, St Rt 555 is on your right. It runs about 80 miles north to US RT 60, 2 miles south of Zanesville. This road is very technical and tight. Not a speed road. It is full of tight off camber turns and rises that you cant see over till you are on top of them. The road likes to turn quick with no warning. Even fun at slow speeds. A good workout for rider + bike. Skinny road, low traffic, a few small towns, NO GAS or hard to find.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Mike, Who is attacking the area to your northwest, or is that a special runway?

Brian thanks for posting the area of 555. I can pick out SR 78 easier, and rode SR 13 earlier today. (Man it was hot outside) 78 runs from the lake near SR 13 to where SR 60 and the Muskingum River diverge. 555 runs from Zanesville to about where the "7" is down by the Ohio River.

I think that my house, chibberts, and kevin50R's are all in the upper right corner. gelbe kulter(doug) is just off of the edge of the picture.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

CA 36 is one long roller coaster ride for your Roadster. :smt038
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
bakernks
Basic User

facinating

Post by bakernks »

Pretty fun tool. My favorite road to ride is From Twin Lakes, Colorado to Aspen, over Independance Pass. Ride that road sometime. You'll never forget it, I'm sure about that.
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

Xray28:
I am lucky in that I live right off my favorite road. California Highway 36. From Alton to Red Bluff It's 132 miles of continuous turns. Then it's on to Mt. Lassen. On a good day there's no better road I know of.
Can we, the NorCal contingent, what's left of it at least, and any others show up on your doorstep sometime? I have always wanted to do HWY 36, but as yet, still haven't...
http://www.pashnit.com/maps4/Highway36.htm

The other one I 'd like to do is HWY 33 Ventura to Taft or visa versa:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway33.htm
bakernks
Basic User

Mt Lassen.

Post by bakernks »

I know that road. Did a vacation there. Not on a bike. Irvine to Big Sur to Monterey to Red Bluff to {{Mt.Lassen to Susanville to Lake Tahoe}}, to Placerville, (back to LODI, Gawd, that place was TOO MUCH like Wichita for a vacation!,) back to John Wayne airport via Kings Canyon.
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS
sillyjax
Basic User

Post by sillyjax »

Hey, XRay28, RE: I am lucky in that I live right off my favorite road. California Highway 36.

Have you ridden Hwy 96? SweatMark and I went on Google Earth and it looks a bit crazier than Hwy 36! We went on our vacation, riding thru Hwy 36 (AGH -- New Rider Training exercise for me!!!) this last July....We thought about riding Hwy 96 and were exhausted by the end of our trip so we went home via Hwy 1->Hwy 101->Oregon. After looking at Hwy 96, we are glad to have saved that for another roadtrip....any feedback on that??
Jacquie
R1150r in Oregon
KHaynes
Lifer

Google Earth

Post by KHaynes »

Beautiful Road Mr Toad.
I was in Brissy a couple of months ago and had to enjoy the mountains in my car instead of on my RT. I'll hopefully get up there on the bike one day.
Keith Haynes
R1150RT
Wheelcaps
MHC

Thanks

Post by MHC »

Brian,

Thanks. I love it.

Biff,

I figure it's the shadow cast by one of those Independence Day Alien Craft. otherwise, I haven't any clue.

Mike
DSKYZD
Lifer

Alien air strip

Post by DSKYZD »

For real, the dark area that looks like a rectangle is an overlay of a higher resolution photo. The larger cities are tiled with them otherwise they are scattered here and there.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187