GS handgaurds

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rick Lee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Rick Lee »

I just installed mine last night and took a considerable amount of material off with a Dremel on both sides. I may even need to take some more off to make them sit just right. But they're ok for now.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Rick Lee wrote:I just installed mine last night and took a considerable amount of material off with a Dremel on both sides. I may even need to take some more off to make them sit just right. But they're ok for now.
Do you have everything (all cables and wires) going through them, like in the picture above?

I am planning to install mine very soon, and I am just trying to decide whether to do it the official BMW way, or the way that is pictured.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Rick Lee
Basic User

Post by Rick Lee »

No, mine don't have all the stuff going through them.
darcym
Basic User

Post by darcym »

Mine don't have all the cables going thru the opening either. Just the clutch cable on the left and brake & throttle cables on the right. Maybe it's a female thing -- reading and following the instructions ... :lol:

A big help in my install was cutting all the zip ties around the cables beforehand. There's like a half dozen or so ... zip tie overkill, IMHO. Two reasons for this, one - - as someone suggested on this board -- makes it easier to mount guards. Two, I've heard of some folks having electrical problems due to the Teutonic Strength Zip Tie Fetished BMW Assembly Crew. With the ties undone the cables are easier to move around and reposition out of the way of the hand guards.

Anyway, simple enough to re-zip tie any or all as needed afterward.
"Bruce" = 2004 R 1150 R Dark Ferro Metallic
http://www.DMPHOTOSD.com
threebucks1996
Basic User

Post by threebucks1996 »

I left mine all tied and just cut away the opening so there would be no wires outside the guards to give a cleaner less cluttered look. I guess it's a matter of preference because the hand guards and the instructions are for the GS anyway.
Buckster
'03R
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

There seems to be quite a few different "fixes." On mine, the only cables that are not captured by the handguards are the brake and clutch cables. Both ride on top of the handguards. I had to loosen the hold-down screws to move them up out of the way, but everything works just fine ... and no cutting. :)
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

I finally got around to installing my handguards in mid-December. I followed BMW's instructions and only the clutch line passes through it on the left side, and only the brake and throttle lines pass through on the right side. Any other wires go around the hand guards. It only took 1/2 hour to do both, with no cutting or cussing.

Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
awagnon
Lifer

Handguards

Post by awagnon »

Bob,

Looks nice in the picture. By the way, what brand of wind shield do you have?
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
Brady
Basic User

Post by Brady »

Installed my handgaurds a couple of month's back and was able to do it with out modifying the gaurds, just cut one of the two twist ties on each handle bar. After Santa came by I went to attach my new BMW wrist rest. Easy enough but the GS gaurds cover up the tension adjuster. 10 minutes with the dremmal and no more problem!
Brady
rdsmith3
Lifer

Re: Handguards

Post by rdsmith3 »

awagnon wrote:Bob,

Looks nice in the picture. By the way, what brand of wind shield do you have?
That is the BMW Touring shield.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

GS handguards installation

Post by sweatmark »

The GS handguards fit my Roadster without much difficulty, as described elsewhere in this thread... some fiddling was required before final tightening, but the guards have been performing well for several years now. Keeps my wife's hands toasty now that she's riding the Roadster.

The Rockster's a tougher fit for the GS guards, though! When I bought the bike and tried to to install the new handguards set I'd brought for the road trip home, I discovered that the flatter Rockster handlebar precluded the use of the inner guard mounts... it was late January and freezing, soI needed those guards in place for the 1k mile trip home! Finally decided to use the thick string to tie the guards to the handlebar at the ends near the top yoke, and it's been that way ever since!

Mark
Oregon
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

GS Handguards

Post by P_Jensen »

The heavier/longer Throttlemeister weights work best with the GS hanguards. The GS handguards cover about 1/4"-3/8" of the bar end weight so with the lighter/shorter weights it can be difficult to get a grip on the weight to rotate it. You will need the fitting kit for the GS not the R, I have used that setup for the last two seasons and it works well. I did have to remove some of the handguard for clearance at the brake and clutch master cylinders.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
fallingpines
Basic User

Post by fallingpines »

Does the GS Throttlemiester have an additional part to allow spacing with use with a hand guard? I installed guards on my R with non-GS Throttlem's and wanted to make a part to allow it's use. As is, the throttlem' does not rotate because the guard end fastener snugs it down. Any pics of right GS 'Miester off the bike to see the details?
'04 1150R
'87 FJ1200
'83 vt500 ascot
'82 Seca 650
'75 CB400F
'66 CB77
'61 R60/2
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

GS Handguards

Post by P_Jensen »

Yes the Throttlemeister Kit for the GS with Handguards does allow the throttlmeister weight to rotate. If I remember correctly it has longer bolts and a spacer that fits between inside of the guard and in to end of the weight were the allen screw head is normally. The throttlemeister site lists two different kits, one for the R1150GS without handguards and one with handguards.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

FYI - The Kaoko throttle lock works very well with the hand guards.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

call bob's bmw and get a bob's wrist rest for an r1150gs. The best part is you can save $$$ by just getting the right side instead of buying the whole kit.

Bill
fallingpines
Basic User

Post by fallingpines »

So, the questions really are:
A-Are the Throttlemeisters for with and without handguards the same except for a longer fastener and a spacer, or is there other design differences between them?
B-And, if so, can someone snap a shot or measure the spacer so I can make one to fit with my non-handguard 'meister?
As I'm sure some of you already know, it really nice to have full access to a machine shop at work to make little widgets and what-nots for bikes.
'04 1150R
'87 FJ1200
'83 vt500 ascot
'82 Seca 650
'75 CB400F
'66 CB77
'61 R60/2