anyone here anymore?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle BS
Basic User

anyone here anymore?

Post by uncle BS »

wonders if anyone still comes to this site anymore... only thing different is everything continues to break on the highly unreliable r1200r.... poorest engineered bike i've ever owned... hands down. nothing else even comes close..
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: anyone here anymore?

Post by riceburner »

Still visiting, but even with the technical issues here, if no-one posts, the place will die.

:(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Au contraire - Original owner 2007 R1200R, 145,000 miles been everywhere. Boondock camping where a few guys on GS bikes turned back. Replaced crown bearing in rear drive at 40,000, drive shaft at 60,000. Bike still looks and runs good and could do a Coast to Coast run tomorrow. Never left me stranded on the road.
Only real short coming was the fuel gauge, and the fact that Beemer couldn't provide a replacement that worked.

Things worked out where there is a new Guzzi V85TT in the garage, so the Beemer likely will go. All in all it's the best bike I ever had, the Guzzi has really big shoes to fill.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

A few of us still look in. 2d owner 2009 R1200R. Now at 54K. Left me stranded twice: first time I'd left the ignition on and flattened the battery, second time the rear u-joint turned to crinkly. Even given those: it's the best bike I ever had too. I retired (for the second time) in 2019, and now don't ride every day.

I've started to think I'm getting to the end of riding. A few years ago, my kid asked how long I'd ride, and I said I'd quit when I was 75, in June of 2022. I might actually do that. It's still enjoyable, but I'm less tolerant of fussing with the gear, and I notice that I don't jump on the bike for short runs to the store or to a friend's house. Long days in the saddle aren't compelling. Both my wife and I have faced life-threatening illness, and I'm aware that I don't heal as briskly as I used to.

Just to try out the feeling, I drafted a "for sale" ad the other night. I'll sit with it and muse.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

mogu83-- you have been EXCEEDINGLY LUCKY. From what i've seen not only of mine meticulously mAINTAINED BUT OF OTHERS with the r12's it's been a financial and mechanical disaster. I did make one great decision however - i passed on buying a Motus.... glad i did--they went under quickly if one follows the world of motorcycles...