Page 1 of 1
Helmet Lock?
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:16 pm
by 8b
On my former bike (F650CSA) with BMW 31 Litre topcase, Helmet storage was breeze when used as an aroun dtown bike in NYC. Going out to dinner, or a movie the topcase would be empty. While at dinner I had plenty of room in topcase to stash full faced arai helmet, and gloves etc.
If I had a Passenger, that extra helmet could either be locked by putting the strap inside the topcase and letting the helmet dangle outside, OR I had a $20 or so accessory attached to my bike on the frame part near the passenger footpeg, see:
http://www.heeters.com/helmetlock.shtml
and
http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_helmet_holders.htm looked like that little silver thing..... So what is the best solution assuming no saddle bags (anyone know if a full face even fits in these saddle bags), and no topcase. I am used to being able to leave helmets with the bike. Ideas? Pictures?
Re: Helmet Lock?
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:11 pm
by deilenberger
8b wrote:So what is the best solution assuming no saddle bags (anyone know if a full face even fits in these saddle bags), and no topcase. I am used to being able to leave helmets with the bike. Ideas? Pictures?
I suspect any exposed helmet in NYC will become a target, even if secured. I've heard of people having the straps cut off when they locked them.
My Shuberth Concept-II fits in the sidecases fine.. it's about as large as almost any full-face would be (XXL size..) I can fit my Aerostitch Roadcrafter in the other bag (with some creative stuffing..)
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 pm
by NoRRmad
I keep wanting to chime in on posts like this. Oil filler cap remover? My left thumb and forefinger. Tinted sport screen? Got it from BMW. Helmet Lock? Right next to the seat lock. But then I remember:
I ride an R1150R.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm
by deilenberger
NoRRmad wrote:I keep wanting to chime in on posts like this. Oil filler cap remover? My left thumb and forefinger. Tinted sport screen? Got it from BMW. Helmet Lock? Right next to the seat lock. But then I remember:
I ride an R1150R.

We'll forgive you for that.. a visit to your dealer and one test ride is all that stands between you and riding a much better bike..

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:43 pm
by yim4
I have 2 of the helmet locks your first link shows, they are made by Motion Pro. One on each side of my bike, works great.
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:30 am
by LeonardoNYC
You know that crime is way down in NYC these days and NYC is the safest big city in the world and one of the safest cities overall in the US! While that speaks to violent crimes I can say that most likely it's trickled down to crime of all types.

Now the bad news is that the resources used to fight crime most likely came from cutting the road maintenance budgets as the potholes here are as big as they have ever been! A kidney belt in NYC is worth it's wait in gold these days.
Cycle Therapy has the helmet locks you mentioned in the first link and I just bought mine last night. They are located in East Harlem which while not a swanky neighborhood is very safe and mainly comprised of working class but less than affluent families. It's also right off the FDR which makes it easy to get to. The lock is similar to my old R11R lock with the exception it doesn't click open and you have to manually open the lock with your fingers and also it doesn't click when its locked--you have to have the key in the lock and then turn the key to lock the holder. It's not a bad solution but I suspect next year I will upgrade to the license plate option so two helmets can be stored easily. I still can't understand why BMW could not have put a lousy helmet lock somewhere on this bike?
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:10 pm
by yim4
Hey 8B,
I think you are the guy that bought my F650CS windshield off eBay for 1 cent. Hows that treating you?
CS no more
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 pm
by 8b
Funny! Yes it is me. That CS was sold a few days after I purchased the new screen. Funny, my friend who you met was supposed to bring that screen to me in NYC a few days after he met you. He forgot it. Now since I promised it to my buyer on my CS, I gotta ship it to Canada. Yes, a guy drove down from toronto for my CS. He just had to have it, it had every chrome option, CF spoiler, etc. It was one bad-ass CS. Lets keep in touch!
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:11 pm
by israel
I drilled a small hole on the licence plate and
put a small lock there, presto helmet lock!!
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm
by LeonardoNYC
isreal,
any chance you can post a photo? Does the lock rattle or is it mounted flush/securely so it doesn't rattle?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:24 pm
by BigEasy
My helmet lock consists of one of these
http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant2/m ... ct_Count=1 and a padlock. I loop the cable through the right side passenger footpeg mount and D rings on the helmet then hang the helmet from the peg. I suppose you could get a long shackle padlock and go to just the peg mount.
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:22 pm
by ScooterCop
A&S BMW has the ZTechnik Helmet Lock on sale for $35. Looks pretty good. and holds 2 helmets. You might have to subscribe to their site to get that price.
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 pm
by yim4
I tried the ZTechnik helmet holder but found that someone can just unscrew where it fastens to the license plate holder and take both helmets home. The Motion Pro has 1 way screws, which are very hard to remove.
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:16 am
by NeilS
Remember that the purpose of a helmet lock is to keep the helmet off the ground. It is not very much of an anti-theft device. The junkie who wants to steal your helmet doesn't know that the strap provides an important function, so he'll just cut the helmet free of the lock. So, by that standard, the Ztechnik lock is fine.
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:23 pm
by yim4
By that standard yes, it would be fine, but I tend to disagree with the point of a helmet lock. I would hope it would give some level of theft deterrence. Most auto part thieves are not actually junkies, but people looking to resell the parts on craigslist or other channels.