Page 1 of 1

This is how our engines work.....live

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:12 am
by boxermania

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:57 am
by Buckster
I like that. Even a mechanical idiot, like myself can understand that. Thanks!

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:56 pm
by DJ Downunder
Except we dont have that long push rod..Do we?

DJ

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:27 pm
by Robert_winter_1000
DJ Downunder wrote:Except we dont have that long push rod..Do we?

DJ
Some people have some not !!! It depends! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:00 am
by iowabeakster
Cool, The intake valve opens by magic!

Does anybody have a link on how to clean the points?

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am
by cone
It's a brilliant site, the originator must be a genius. I still cant understand the workings of the radial/rotary engine that was used on ww1 aircraft. Thw gyroscopic forces must have been tremendous.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:52 am
by boxermania
cone

Ask and you shall receive....

http://www.keveney.com/gnome.html

My pleasure, enjoy......... 8)

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:28 am
by cone
Boxermania, brilliant stuff! now I also know why those pilots wore scarfes.
Can you immagine 9 cylinders spewing oil all over your goggles?

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:44 am
by allanj255
Great link boxermania. this is the rotary engine from the same site. There were several rotary bikes. Norton used a rotary for a while on their range including their F1, Classic, Commander and Interpol bikes along with Suzuki RE5, the DKW W2000. and Van Veen
http://www.keveney.com/Wankel.html

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:06 pm
by boxermania
allanj255

Yep.....you are right.....really interesting site.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 am
by cone
boxermania, as a matter of interest a German manufacturer in 1925 known as Megola built a 5 cylinder radial engine into the front wheel of his bike. The plus factor was that the centre of gravity was low. As for the negatives... I can only immagine. Not really a bike for the twisties.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:55 pm
by allanj255
cone wrote:boxermania, as a matter of interest a German manufacturer in 1925 known as Megola built a 5 cylinder radial engine into the front wheel of his bike. The plus factor was that the centre of gravity was low. As for the negatives... I can only immagine. Not really a bike for the twisties.
Great bit of info cone. I found a link to a picture of the bike
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Dir ... 922-25.htm
Allan

Re: This is how our engines work.....live

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:58 am
by cone
Thanks Allan, nice picture. I had to smile a bit where they refer to "racing trim" I still battle to get my head around the mechanical complexity of this bike.