Page 1 of 1

Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:44 am
by Dale_K
Very, very different actually. "Things are different on a Harley" used to be a tag line in Harley advertisements and it really is true. Not saying better but undeniably different.

I tend to stop by the Harley dealership about every 3 months just to see the bikes and feel superior, with the inner smugness bred from German engineering and I was there yesterday. Turns out they're having a sales incentive if you trade in a "metric" bike. The dealer matched the official Harley promotion so it was a $1,000 discount. Anyway I bought a Harley. I've owned 6 other Harleys since 1973. Two of them were actually pretty good bikes - the other 4 (Sportsters) were kind of awful.

This has been my favorite Interent site for BMWs but I'll be shuffling off now to someplace else. Maybe I'll move back some day. Here are a couple pictures of the new bike.

Image
Image
Image

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:46 am
by vodka
Love riding behind Harleys till we come to a corner...Nearly always crash into the back of em. :badgrin:

As they say in Harley speak, "Harley davidson, Live to Ride- Ride to Live" Auf BMW Deutsch das ist, "Harley Davidson, Pretend to Ride- Ride to Pretend"

Did you know ,50% of all BMW's ever made are still being ridden on the road. Indeed 95% of all Harleys made are still on the road...they can't been ridden home. :badgrin:

Ever seen a Harley lean into a corner?....nup me neither.

If they only reduced noise output Harleys would get an extra 15-20hp.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html .......this isnt my idea/site

I think my work here is done.
Acknowledges applauding crowd =D>

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 am
by celticus
We will miss you Dale.

Mark

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:19 am
by Mollygrubber
He'll be back.

Have fun while you're 'away' Dale!

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 am
by cwrose
I want a Harley.. A classic softail deluxe or road king classic. It'll purely be a garage ornament. An expensive one, but they look damn nice. Only weighing in at 150lbs myself, I don't know if I could lug the 800+ lb beast around. Sure as hell won't be able to pick it up after dumping it. Anyway, enjoy your time away, we'll see you soon.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:14 pm
by gezerbike
Nothing wrong with having a cruiser around. I went this route when I bought a bike for taking the wife on rides. Considered a Harley, but this is so much a better bike, and deal, than a Harley, I couldn't pass it up. 113 cubic inches, 124 ft lbs of torque, 100 rear wheel hp, belt drive and I think really cool looks. The motor in this thig is absolutely the best motor I have ever had in a motorcycle. It has all it's torque at 2,500 rpm's, which means you pretty can just twist the grip and you're gone. It's a great stable mate and a good Friday night around town bike.

Image

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 pm
by cwrose
That's a good lookin' bike, Mike. Like you said, it never hurts to have a nice cruiser around for a night out on the town with the misses. Basically, that's the reason I want one. By the way, what color is that on your bike? Looks pretty good. Is it metallic, pearl, or flat?

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:38 pm
by sjbmw
purty

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:59 pm
by gezerbike
cwrose wrote:That's a good lookin' bike, Mike. Like you said, it never hurts to have a nice cruiser around for a night out on the town with the misses. Basically, that's the reason I want one. By the way, what color is that on your bike? Looks pretty good. Is it metallic, pearl, or flat?
It is a 2 tone Metallic Silver. This might be the most under rated bike out there. If you ever get a chnace to take one for a ride, do so. You'll love it.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:51 pm
by AncientMariner
Nice looking bike.

I used to have a 1994 FXDS Convertible. Absolutely gorgeous looking and sounding. At the time, I was an executive with a large financial service company. When I walked around our facility (about 2,200 emplyees) I was constantly approached by some very attractive looking sweet young things with the following basic inquiry "Hey, I was looking at youse Harley in the parking lot and I was wondering if youse would take me for a ride at lunchtime, or something." I of course said yes, but added that they would need a signed permission slip from my wife.

Since I sold the Harley and bought my K75, I have not been bothered in the same way at all.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 pm
by gezerbike
AncientMariner wrote:Nice looking bike.

I used to have a 1994 FXDS Convertible. Absolutely gorgeous looking and sounding. At the time, I was an executive with a large financial service company. When I walked around our facility (about 2,200 emplyees) I was constantly approached by some very attractive looking sweet young things with the following basic inquiry "Hey, I was looking at youse Harley in the parking lot and I was wondering if youse would take me for a ride at lunchtime, or something." I of course said yes, but added that they would need a signed permission slip from my wife.

Since I sold the Harley and bought my K75, I have not been bothered in the same way at all.

They ask me who I borrowed it from....go figure. :badgrin:

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:37 pm
by AllanCook
AncientMariner wrote:Nice looking bike.

I used to have a 1994 FXDS Convertible. Absolutely gorgeous looking and sounding. At the time, I was an executive with a large financial service company. When I walked around our facility (about 2,200 emplyees) I was constantly approached by some very attractive looking sweet young things with the following basic inquiry "Hey, I was looking at youse Harley in the parking lot and I was wondering if youse would take me for a ride at lunchtime, or something." I of course said yes, but added that they would need a signed permission slip from my wife.

Since I sold the Harley and bought my K75, I have not been bothered in the same way at all.

When I traded in my Harley for a BMW years ago, my Harley buddies told me that I'd never get lucky on a Beemer. They were right.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:45 pm
by motoracer8
I ride with a woman from time to time that rides a Road King, she is 110 to 120 lbs. and seams to have no probblems, no she does'nt ride it like a canyon rocket, but she gets along pretty well, never far behind.

Ken G.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 pm
by AncientMariner
If you had one of the blue Roadsters, she'd prolly never keep up...

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 pm
by ka5ysy
cwrose wrote:... Only weighing in at 150lbs myself, I don't know if I could lug the 800+ lb beast around. Sure as hell won't be able to pick it up after dumping it. Anyway, enjoy your time away, we'll see you soon.

I happen to know a 100lb lady MSF instructor who can show you how its done :lol:

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 am
by cwrose
ka5ysy wrote:
cwrose wrote:... Only weighing in at 150lbs myself, I don't know if I could lug the 800+ lb beast around. Sure as hell won't be able to pick it up after dumping it. Anyway, enjoy your time away, we'll see you soon.

I happen to know a 100lb lady MSF instructor who can show you how its done :lol:
I was exaggerating a bit, but I wouldn't mind being schooled. :smt005

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:40 am
by NakedRider
Very nice looking bike.

I just got a call from Progressive and they indicated you can get a price break if you belong to one of two listed Harley groups or the AMA. Nice. Too bad I ride a BMW.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:43 pm
by kidtwist
Nice Harley.

I've wanted a Harley since the early eighties. For one reason or another, when it comes time to buy a new bike, I always end up getting something else. But I'm sure I'll get one sometime. The last time I was in the market I wanted a Super Glide (like yours only "pewter") or a Super Glide Custom. I didn't get one because the Harley dealer wouldn't take my Bonneville in trade. The BMW dealer did though.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:26 pm
by mickyt
Nice bike Dale and hope you enjoy it mate. I sometimes think of getting another HD mainly for the comfort factor. (cronic tendonitis to both elbows) but as a 2nd bike. I like the R12R more now than when I bought it(over 2 years now...the longest I've kept a bike for so maybe I'm cured of my sickness lol), and I'd have to get a used bike that had some suspension and fuelling upgrades done 'cause that's what I do to em and then sell em off :cry: ! Dyna's are a good base to start with and my other favourite is the VRod but it scraped so easy, even with good springs. Race Tech springs and valves are a good move up front and not a big outlay or difficult to install.

Regards Mick.

Re: Things are different on a Harley

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 am
by mogu83
Nice bike - good luck with it.
When my ears hear 'motorcycle' my mind sees a Harley Road King, black, Harley hard bags, windshield, spoked wheels and white walls.

No reason to stick with only one bike, their are so many different ways to have fun. I never got on a bike that didn't bring a smile to my face. Right now my Valkyrie fills the need for a cruiser, but I still check out the Road Kings every now and then.

Image