Page 1 of 1
Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am
by seangd
I know I know - I did the search, but I only found 1 topic on it. Manufacturer suggestions?
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:52 am
by JohnM
Don't have a answer to your question.
But would a magnetic tankbag create problems to a laptop stored in it? Generally, magnets & hard drives don't mix.
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:19 pm
by seangd
Not sure if that would be problem or not. I definitely would shield it somehow. I just want a way to commute to work with my work laptop without having to put on the panniers. I could go backpack, but here in Austin Texas June through September is unbearable and having a backpack on really sucks. Plus I want something I can daytrip with in the hill country.
If not magnetic, then what? I know I don't want a "clip-on" style that leaves something on the bike when you remove the tankbag.
Suggestions?
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 pm
by ContraMoto
seangd wrote:If not magnetic, then what? I know I don't want a "clip-on" style that leaves something on the bike when you remove the tankbag.
Suggestions?
The strap-secured types usually involve a loop around the head tube and a loop from under the seat. On my bike, I keep the under-seat loop folded and stowed under the seat. I put some velcro against the front of the tank -- down in the two scoops behind the fork legs where you can't see it. Those hold the loose straps from the tank bag fastener when the bag is off the bike. Both front and back straps are then out of sight, out of mind when the bag isn't on the bike. The bag then attaches/detaches in about 30 seconds.
There are lots of bags out there. I like Cortech bags, and people speak highly of RKA bags. I have a small Cortech (10L) and need a larger bag, so I'm going to look into the RKA ones.
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm
by ipokebadgers
I just purchased a Cortech Sport Tail bag that attaches with bungee cords. It will fit a laptop easily. I use it to comute to work. It fits nicely on the pillion part of the seat. I have hard luggage as well but don't use it for comuting. It might be worth a look.
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm
by Bob Ain't Stoppin'
I'm using this type of bag mounting, called Quick-Lock. Works great. Go to twistedthrottle.com and see if one of these BagsConnection rigs will fit your lap top.
Here's a pic of the mount:
Note, this is just an image. You need to be careful to pick the correct mount for your bike. If you call them up, you'll get good advise.
The bag is easy to mount and de-mount.
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 pm
by jess
Magnets won't hurt hard drives. Well, really big magnets (the kind that take electricity to run and make the lights dim when they turn on) can definitely wipe a drive. Short of that, though, it's fine. The magnet / computer thing is pretty much of a myth now that floppy drives are a thing of the past.
(But I use a BagsConnection mount on mine as well -- very nicely designed).
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm
by roger l
I would think that a tank bag that would be big enough to hold a laptop would be a rather large tank bag. Would you be better off to get a bag that you could strap to the back of the seat. Maybe put the laptop in your back pack and use a cargo net to hold it to the back seat.
Roger L
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:03 pm
by BigEasy
I use an AXIO hard pack backpack bungied to the seat for commuting with a laptop. I have never been a big fan of tank bags, I hate scratches on my gas tanks.
The hard pack has plenty of room for a day at the office and some extras too.

Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 pm
by hoflix
I have a 10L Cortech magnetic bag and I carry my small laptop/netbook in it, it fits perfectly. (Asus eee 901)
As far as the magnets, that's shouldn't be an issue.
However, you should definitely be concerned about vibration and that hard drive. Especially if it's sitting on top of the tank.
Consider getting a laptop with an solid state drive instead of a hard drive. They are basically just fancy memory cards, therefore shockproof, and will outlast the laptop itself.
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:20 pm
by ka5ysy
Honestly, I would never trust a magnetic tank bag or anything else to hold my laptop. Too expensive to drop and the data is far more valuable. Straps for me in a Pelican laptop case is the only way to go. Crash proof for certain !
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 am
by Dauntless
I would use a tailbag. Tank bags scratch the paint, especially underneath where the magnets stick. If you decide to use one, don't attach it to the tank after the sun has been beating down on it. The paint is especially susceptible to scratches then.
Re: Magnetic Tankbag that can carry a laptop??
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:16 pm
by seangd
Okay, thanks for all the input. I went with this Cargo tank bag from Cycle Gear. Hard to beat at $46! Optional magnetic or strap mount, fits my laptop, converts to backpack, etc etc etc.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=50 ... L_CAR006_G