Kind of a strange battery question:
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm
As I do every winter (since I ride my bike year round) I changed my oil to a lighter 10w-40 oil to help with cold starting, but even after switching to the lighter oil my battery still struggled to start the bike when it was colder outside (usually anything below 20 degrees). The battery I'm using now is a Westco battery from beemerboneyard which was installed on March 9th of 2010. So while it was still freezing outside I went ahead and ordered a new battery from beemerboneyard because I saw they were on sale and was pretty sure I needed a new one. However, it has since warmed up quite a bit here in Missouri and is now in the 40's or 50's every day. Since it warmed up the bike fires right up with no problems at all.
So...my question is, how long does an unused battery stay good? Can I just leave it sitting in the garage or should I buy a battery tender to hook it up to until I need it? OR, should I just go ahead and switch the batteries out now even though the one I have now seems to be perfectly fine after the weather warmed up a little?
So...my question is, how long does an unused battery stay good? Can I just leave it sitting in the garage or should I buy a battery tender to hook it up to until I need it? OR, should I just go ahead and switch the batteries out now even though the one I have now seems to be perfectly fine after the weather warmed up a little?