Roland Sands + BMW collab - R1200R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Roland Sands + BMW collab - R1200R?

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Saw this on the tweety today. It's one of those "teaser" pics, but based on the rear wheel shown, if that's a current model it looks like it's based on an R1200R Classic.

Of course, they could have switched out the wheel, etc... but I'm interested to see what this is.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: Roland Sands + BMW collab - R1200R?

Post by Lost Rider »

That could be the new BMW Bobber I hear is coming out this fall with the wethead motor, will be interesting to see it come to light... and then the R wethead late next year after the RT.
Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote:That could be the new BMW Bobber I hear is coming out this fall with the wethead motor, will be interesting to see it come to light... and then the R wethead late next year after the RT.
I thought about that too - maybe they gave Sands a pre-production bike to do something with so they can pimp it at launch time?
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

He says collaboration. Not sure what that means.

It will be pretty cool when BMW comes out with this. "Thrilling" they say...

John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

The photo in the tweet reminds me of this Motorrad Lo-Rider illustration:

The company's president said at EICMA in November that the engine in the mysterious 90th anniversary model would be air-cooled and not the waterboxer. If you zoom in on the silo sketch, the valve covers appear to be from a camhead. I would be stunned if Motorrad shipped a new (an relatively untested) waterboxer engine in a new, cafe-racer style model. If history serves, the new engine will appear in the traditional GS — RT — R order, as did the camhead boxer.

As intriguing as the retro model sounds, the cynic in me wonders if the new model will simply be a parts bin of existing components — albeit with some lovely lipstick and nostalgic marketing — that clears out inventory to make way for the wasserboxer, whose increased power and lower emissions make it the future of the boxer line.
Bill
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

websterize wrote:The photo in the tweet reminds me of this Motorrad Lo-Rider illustration:

The company's president said at EICMA in November that the engine in the mysterious 90th anniversary model would be air-cooled and not the waterboxer. If you zoom in on the silo sketch, the valve covers appear to be from a camhead. I would be stunned if Motorrad shipped a new (an relatively untested) waterboxer engine in a new, cafe-racer style model. If history serves, the new engine will appear in the traditional GS — RT — R order, as did the camhead boxer.

As intriguing as the retro model sounds, the cynic in me wonders if the new model will simply be a parts bin of existing components — albeit with some lovely lipstick and nostalgic marketing — that clears out inventory to make way for the wasserboxer, whose increased power and lower emissions make it the future of the boxer line.
Agreed - I recognize those heads without even zooming, and I think it's most likely to be some kind of parts-bin special, although the Sands collaboration will obviously far more custom.

I thought a lot of those lo-rider concepts were kind of dumb. Cool-looking, maybe... depending on what you think is cool. But useful motorcycles? Hell no, and nothing like what I want a motorcycle for. The tires are stupid, the seat is stupid and I like the front suspension the way it is - no need for USD forks. I also think this tiny rear section trend is often poorly implemented. Over it.
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

Parts-bin special, indeed. (but I like the Tuono mirrors!) Some stale spy shots of the Lo-Rider w/the camhead:

www.motorradonline.de

hellforleather.com

The unexpected departure of Motorrad's VP of design was rumored to be because of the production green light of the Lo-Rider, as reported by the late Kevin Ash last year:
One suggestion is the mysterious, shock departure [of Motorrad's David Robb] is due to a strong disagreement between Robb and BMW Motorrad’s General Director Hendrik von Künheim over the development of the Low Rider Concept, in which Robb saw no future but which von Künheim wants to see in production."
Robb later addressed the rumors in an interview with Ash.
Bill
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Turns out it is a drag bike. (If it is the same...)

http://youtu.be/n4hPo1Ay4SE
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I need to learn to tweet. "The pipes are dope"? I reckon that a good thing.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

jkhomes wrote:Turns out it is a drag bike. (If it is the same...)

http://youtu.be/n4hPo1Ay4SE
Not the same thing. The link I posted earlier has spoked wheels, like an R1200R Classic.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

So here's what this Sands collaboration turned out to be: Concept Ninety.

Pretty cool "modern R90S" type thing. More on RideApart.

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I like the paint, but the ergos suck, and I don't see bag mounts.. :mrgreen:
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

deilenberger wrote:I like the paint, but the ergos suck, and I don't see bag mounts.. :mrgreen:
Haha, yeah. I would have been all over something like this maybe five years ago. Maybe still if those bars were a little higher and it had a real seat and luggage. Oh well.
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

deilenberger wrote:I like the paint, but the ergos suck, and I don't see bag mounts.. :mrgreen:
Hey, a after couple of years of yoga lessons and a dozen trips to the chiropractor you could ride that at least 20 miles.

I just put a Wunderlich Trophy fairing on my Apple Red R1200R and it looks 90 percent as good, but it's a lot more comfortable...
VanDan
Basic User

Post by VanDan »

websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KatnmWWUNDM. Pretty awe-inspiring video of the Concept 90 by BMW.

Wonder what David Robb thinks of the bad boy. (It's stories like this where I miss Kevin Ash's access and reporting.)
Bill
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ka5ysy »

Speaking of David Robb, anybody have any idea what he is doing now ?
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES