Page 1 of 1

Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise?

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:23 am
by riceburner
Just had a new pair of Z8s fitted and the fitter drew my attention to the fact that the LHS disc on the front wheel was rattling around freely.

I fitted that disc sometime last year (possibly the year before), and it's not done more than 10,000 miles. I KNOW I fitted the wave washers.

Has anyone else ever experienced a TOTAL loss of ALL the wave washers from a disc?

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:48 pm
by maccraith
That doesn't even sound possible - unless someone else removed the disc. Have you had the bike in for service anywhere?

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:34 am
by towerworker
I agree..........I see no way the washers would disappear. I've logged over 100K and never lost one. I've replaced discs as well but was always careful to reinstall with the washers and proper torque.

Maybe check your m/c work area really really close? :)

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 am
by sweatmark
Seems impossible, but I have no direct experience with UK winter corrosion. From what I've seen in your and others' photos over the years, all-season riding over there is tough on materials. If the wave washers are spring steel, then perhaps they can fade away... The washer sheet thickness is <1mil, not much material. Found corrosion on front wheel fasteners and washers when mounting new rotors at 40k, and my Rockster has never seen salt, but lots of rain.

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 am
by kirby
Did you check the torque on the bolts? (and use thread locker).

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:30 am
by peels
interesting.

my front discs have an ever-so-small amount of play.... they were torqued fine.. Not enough wiggle to cause alarm, and the brakes operation is rock solid...but I wondered if that was normal. time to replace?

I cant imagine those washers vanishing into oblivion though..

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:42 am
by sweatmark
riceburner wrote:Just had a new pair of Z8s fitted and the fitter drew my attention to the fact that the LHS disc on the front wheel was rattling around freely.

I fitted that disc sometime last year (possibly the year before), and it's not done more than 10,000 miles. I KNOW I fitted the wave washers.

Has anyone else ever experienced a TOTAL loss of ALL the wave washers from a disc?
Pondering this for a day...
James, your current Rockster is non-ABS, correct? Did you include the LHS spacer washers between wheel and rotor? Don't know how omission of those spacers would increase rotor's freeplay...

Re: Front disc wave washers beamed up by Starship Enterprise

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:42 am
by riceburner
maccraith wrote:That doesn't even sound possible - unless someone else removed the disc. Have you had the bike in for service anywhere?
Nope - but racking by brains to remember if I did or not.
I DID have the rear drive box rebuilt (new crown-wheel bearing) - but very much doubt that guy would have touched the front.....
kirby wrote:Did you check the torque on the bolts? (and use thread locker).
They seem fine, pretty sure they haven't come undone and re-done themselves up after letting the washers out for a walk. ;)


sweatmark wrote:
riceburner wrote:Just had a new pair of Z8s fitted and the fitter drew my attention to the fact that the LHS disc on the front wheel was rattling around freely.

I fitted that disc sometime last year (possibly the year before), and it's not done more than 10,000 miles. I KNOW I fitted the wave washers.

Has anyone else ever experienced a TOTAL loss of ALL the wave washers from a disc?
Pondering this for a day...
James, your current Rockster is non-ABS, correct? Did you include the LHS spacer washers between wheel and rotor? Don't know how omission of those spacers would increase rotor's freeplay...
Yup - non ABS.

Errr - not sure tbh. I know that I'm pretty thorough when dismantling and replacing - everything goes into a small pot so I don't lose any parts.