Page 1 of 1
Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:44 am
by Barista
I've ordered a Sargent seat for my recently aquired bike. Their site claims the standard build would be almost 1.9" higher than the BMW low seat and .4" lower than the BMW tall seat. They don't list a difference from the standard original seat. Is the seat they refer to as the low seat actually the original? I definately need some increase in seat height. Can anyone relate their real life experience in the differences from the factory original seat?
Also, I'm finding that the factory seat makes me slide forward toward the tank. I'm frequently pushing myself back, and then after a bump in the road I'm sliding my butt back again, over and over. Will the Sargent seat help with that?
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:43 pm
by kirby
The machine has probably got a standard height seat unless it is ordered with a low seat, (low seat is an option).
The seat is very flat and NOT rounded like the stock seat. I don't slide forward partly because the seat had a much different texture than the smooth stock one which helps in in that regard with more friction.
I have found the seat very comfortable and due to it being flat will allow you to use the airhawk or other padded cushions effectively.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:59 pm
by sjbmw
The factory seat can be a real jewel breaker on hard braking, and long hours in the saddle.
The Sargent seat is wider, but not all that much taller. The wideness of the seat makes planting the feet farther way from the pavement.
Also creates a lot more comfort.
The Stock seat is a 150 mile seat, i.e. after 150 miles the PITA is noticeable.
The Sargent is a 500 mile seat.
your buns will thank you.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm
by RadicalR1150R
I had saved some part numbers for the oem seats, but must have decided I'll never need them & pitched em.
I had the same problem you've described with the forward sliding, Just a 25 mile ride was enough, thighs were aching too..
You will LOVE your new seat...Ride Safe..
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 pm
by Photoguy
Will look forward to hearing your impression.
I miss the adjustability of my 850R that had 3 positions to the mounting block under the seat for a low-medium-high position all from the same seat depending where you mounted the blocks. Too bad they got rid of it, it was a good idea imo.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 am
by gregor
Sliding forward on the standard seat is not a problem I have. I never clean the seat with anything containing wax.
I ride in leathers. The combination of annual waterproofing with Nikwax, I know, and gentle rinsing with rain and bodily emissions keeps the leather supple and importantly, tacky in the sticky, ugh, sense.
Wearing my temporary goretex over trousers feels somewhat different.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:02 am
by Barista
The new Sargent seat just arrived and measurements are done. The gain in height is 1.125" which is about .7" less than their site claims. Keep in mind these measurements were taken with the bike on the center stand by placing a level accross the seat and measuring the distance to floor. They may not relate exactly to the actually gain in height since the Sargent seat is definitely wider and flatter. I can feel more support under my thighs and this may add a bit to my actual riding height. It's also very possible that this new seat will settle in a bit lower after it's had a few hours of use. I'll post more impressions after I've gotten a few hundred miles on it.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 pm
by swamper
It doesn't settle in any lower. Be aware of the 30 day buy back.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:43 am
by sjbmw
Nope. That seat is so well made, after a decade of my big butt it's the same as it was when I got it, and I got mine USED.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 am
by Tundra Dweller
I have two Sargent seats on others Motorcycles. In a word, fantastic. Much better than the over weight, over rated and over priced Corbin. Will be considering another Sargent for the 1150R.
Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:15 pm
by lcarlson
sjbmw wrote:Nope. That seat is so well made, after a decade of my big butt it's the same as it was when I got it, and I got mine USED.
After about 15 years, my Sargent saddle on my R1150R still looks essentially new. Great product