Encouragement to change spark plugs

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Encouragement to change spark plugs

Post by hjsbmw »

The recommended interval is 24k miles. I waited 26k and noticed a pronounced roughness when starting from standing, sometimes even at speeds. I changed the spark plugs and it's like a new bike. Doing it at 24k would have been at a point where the smoothness of the engine still was not affected that much. Maybe it was the combination of colder outside temperatures and the plugs. At any rate, it's a different engine feel now.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
vroomr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Encouragement to change spark plugs

Post by vroomr »

I also experienced a pronounced roughness just before the service when plugs were to be replaced, when the plugs had about 20-24K on them. After the bike was serviced it was nice and smooth, and I attribute that to the plug change. When I brought the bike in to my indy for the 6K stuff just the other day, with 15K on the plugs, he told me that at this mileage he eyeballs the plugs.
Richard
airhead_irl
Basic User

Post by airhead_irl »

I had the very same experience with my '07 although I done a throttle body sync at the same time.
vroomr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by vroomr »

..and, my plugs were changed at 15K. That works for me.
Richard