Page 1 of 1

90 Degree Valve Stems?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:08 pm
by dallara
Can't recall for the life of me where, but I thought it was on the board here...

However, doing the "search" function dance nineteen different ways from Sunday hasn't turned up post one about it...

Does anyone recall somebody mentioning where to get a suitable BMW OEM replacement valve stem that turns 90 degrees out of the valve stem hole?

Checking rear tire pressures is no problem, but I am so tired of having to "twist your wrist tango" with my tire pressure gauges to get a decent reading for the front tire... No matter how I do it I get hung up with the front discs, etc. going on or off the stock valve stem. I am doing a tire swap in the next week or so and if I could get decent 90-degree valve stems I would pop them in a heartbeat.

Anybody know any good ones?

Thanks!

Dallara

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:41 pm
by Capt. Blackadder
A&S BMW has them: http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2123. I read somewhere, though, that you shouldn't ride with these in place... that at high speed, centrifugal force will bend them to the point where the valve stem cracks and the tire will suddenly deflate.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:44 pm
by DJ Downunder
Dallara..did you notice the new BM's have new sideway pointing valve stems.. =D>

DJ

Image

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm
by rdsmith3
Now you're talking.

I agree w/ Dallara. I cannot seem to check the air in the front tire without letting some out because I have trouble getting the gauge in the right position the first time.

As an aside, I used to own a 1989 Porsche 911 with Fuchs wheels. There was a little metal support for the rubber valve stem so that centrifugal force would not overly stress them. Why-oh-why don't motorcycles do that?

Hmmmm...

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm
by dallara
Hmmmm, DJ...

Wonder why the new ones do? :-k

*D'OH* !!! #-o

Too bad they didn't think of it earlier for the rest of us.

Wonder if they think they might have the problem Capt. Blackadder mentions?

BTW, Thanks, Captain!!!

But for some reason I recall the one mentioned in the long ago post as being far different lookin gthan the one you had the link to...

Now you got me wondering... Of course, there were those guys who used to say that the reason you wanted ot use metal valve stem caps was that centrifugal force would unset the Schrader valve in the valve stems and let the air out. Rode many a bike without metal caps on 'em, and never had a problem there...

Thanks!

Dallara

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:01 pm
by arkline
Allan,

Get yourself one of these BestRest gauges:

http://bestrestproducts.com/celestia/pr ... eproducts/

Cheaper than new wheels. Works a charm. Just don't drop it, according to a recent issue of MCN... :lol:

FOUND 'EM!

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:15 pm
by dallara
*FOUND 'EM* !!!

I found the ones I was thinking of right here:

http://americanmototire.com/index.html? ... =d856.html

I used to use some that looked like these on one of my road racers, and they were the *TITZ*!

They aren't cheap, but I only need the front really.

Arkline, I have been through so many "dial type" gauges over the years, and just like MCN said - rubber-boot or not, the first time you drop one they are worthless. I have been using digital gauges for years now (Accutire are my favorites, and one old Schrader brand digital) and will never go back.

Thanks everybody!

Dallara

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:54 pm
by darthrider
Allan -
Your local Triumph dealer has them too.
Look how nicely they designed for these on the Speed Triple. I love 'em!
Image

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:06 pm
by boxermania
My 2 cents......

Many bikes have had these angle stems on their wheels for years, among them the Goldwings and the PC 800 (Pacific Coast) along with the Triumphs, as Darth pointed out.

These stems are, most of the time, made out of metal (brass, aluminum) to keep the weight down and to insure sufficient rigidity to eliminate failures. They are better than the regular rubber stems because they have rubber gaskets that seal against the wheel via the tightening of a nut.

Expensive, high performance wheels on automoviles, such as, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrarri, use these type for the added safety factor.

I wouldn't have any concerns with the ones offered by AS&S...... :roll:

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:16 pm
by Biff's R
Dallara,
You think that it is hard to check the front tire pressure on a non ABS R, just try to get around the ABS ring along with the brake discs.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:15 pm
by R4R&R
Biff's R wrote:Dallara,
You think that it is hard to check the front tire pressure on a non ABS R, just try to get around the ABS ring along with the brake discs.
Oh no - not ANOTHER reason to dislike ABS!!

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:33 pm
by ljasonb
Dallara,
Do you use the pistol shaped accutire? Anybody else?

Tire gauges...

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:03 pm
by dallara
Ljasonb asked:
Dallara,
Do you use the pistol shaped accutire? Anybody else?
Nope, Jason.

I carry either an Accutire little pencil digital gauge or my old Schrader Digital 50 with the 90 degree attachment onboard the R-1150-R.

Around the garage I like to use an Accutire "Racing Digital" with the hose and valve stem clamp because you can be so accurate with it.

Hope this helps!

Dallara