Here in September?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Here in September?

Post by Doug »

The launch date for the new R1200R is September, 2006? Anyone have any other info?
Member #1
Diddle
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Diddle »

I think in september 2006 is the first presentation,
the official sale begins in spring 2007.

I am waiting for spring 2007 :lol:
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Here are the questions I have:
Will it come in black?
Will ABS be optional?
Will it cost under 10 grand?
Will it have a beak?
JT

Well ...

Post by JT »

I hope that the new R is really 2-bikes.

R1200R with the GS motor - nice and staid and cheap AND
R1200R Rockster with the S motor in it for the more 'sporting' amongst us.

J
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Will it have a beak?
god I hope not . . ..
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I would guess that the new R1200R will be a more expensive alternative to the F800, but it will not get the much dreamed about power of the R1200S. I don't think they want the Roadster to steal any of the thunder out from under the Sportier R1200S Boxer.....

Because it will be a heavier power-to-weight alternative to the new parallel twin, BMW is going to have to offer an incentive for traditionalists to snag the last of the naked Boxers. It will have to have some kind of timeless appeal, but power enough to court those who are looking hard at the new belt driven Rotax.

The R1200R will have to market itself as that which so many of us have made it..... a capable canyon carver, that can easily be switched to a weekend warrior or a cross-country tourer. It's going to have to be touted as a comfortable (heavy) bike, good for going the distance without all the drama of a light-weight sportier bike.

Rumor of a naked version of the F800 putting 90 hp to the ground, will create quite a distraction. BMW has gonna hafta do something pretty special to it's Roadster 1200 to keep those loyal to the Boxer......
Member #31
Bud
Basic User

R1200R

Post by Bud »

Pat,

It's interesting that you said that about a supposed R1200R. I was at the BMW dealership this past weekend and rode a 1200RT. Now that I'm in Arizona the riding is more highway and I've been commuting to work on my R. Seat is too hard and the RT would make a better bike for that trip.

Anyhow I rode the RT and it's a real nice ride. Broad range of power, smoother and less vibration than my 1150R. One comment I made to the dealer (he asked for my opinion) was that I thought the new engine had less personality than my 1150. I haven't ridden a GS but the new engine was too quiet, no intake sounds that I could detect that I really like from my 1150. Pretty vanilla even though it went like hell. Maybe that's a good thing but I do like the growl that comes on when I open up the throttle on my R.

I asked him about a new 1200R and the sales guy made a curious comment about how much money BMW had invested in the new 120O hex head and also how much they already had in the 1150 engine. I got to thinking that maybe BMW might not be that quick in jumping into a 1200R. Maybe they will continue to produce the 1150R as it is as an "entry" level bike. But what do I know. Maybe there's one rolling off the line as I write.

Bud
Member #296
"Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx
Sit
Basic User

R1200R

Post by Sit »

I had my R down at the dealer this past Wednessday for its annual and asked the lead salesperson about the 1200R. Without even thinking about it, she told me that it will be out late this year, that the next bike to be put out is the R1200S. Once that is out and rolling, then the 1200R will be out. She said that the BMW rep told her it should be out late fall. She had no idea what it would look like, but she had no doubt that it is coming.
Bud
Basic User

Post by Bud »

"She"? :lol:
Member #296
"Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

There will definitely be a R1200R out in the later part of the year. I suspect that you will start seeing spy shots within 2 months. Prolly with the same engine as the GS, 100 hp. The look of the bike has been one of BMW's best kept secrets ever.
Dean-O
Member #33

Post by Guest »

Tell you the truth, I hope the looks are changed very little, if at all. It's such a pretty look, so distinctive and Sooo versatile.

I just passed my first year anniversary with my '50R and I'm still loving it more and more every day and every ride.

I think when the time comes to get a new bike, I'll just be adding one to the stable, cause I can't see letting go of this one.
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

Anonymous wrote:Tell you the truth, I hope the looks are changed very little, if at all. It's such a pretty look, so distinctive and Sooo versatile.

I just passed my first year anniversary with my '50R and I'm still loving it more and more every day and every ride.

I think when the time comes to get a new bike, I'll just be adding one to the stable, cause I can't see letting go of this one.
Oops, Forgot to sign in.
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

I just don't know if they can ever top the good looks of the R1150R roadster. It will be/is a classic. As much as I'd like to get a new bike, there are none that are better looking to me.
Dan

'04 R1150R (Silver) Sold
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'81 Yamaha YZ125
lacrimosa
Basic User

Post by lacrimosa »

These pic has been posted on some european forums...

Looking good!...

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

If it looks like that I'll eat my hat.. :D

DJ
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

lacrimosa wrote:These pic has been posted on some european forums...

Looking good!...

These photo mockups SOO make me laugh.

Rockster cowl and clocks, and Telelever
R1150R oil cooler cover,
R1200GS engine block and visible subframe
F800S exhaust (I think)
K1200R rear wheel
R1200ST mudguard (I think)

I've given up looking at these wishful thinking mock-ups.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

The exhaust is from a new Triumph Speed Triple... :lol:

DJ
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

DJ Downunder wrote:The exhaust is from a new Triumph Speed Triple... :lol:

DJ
Think you might be right there!!!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

I believe you when you say they are photoshop jobs (I certainly am not experienced enough to know the diffference), but I just don't get it. Why do people go to all the trouble to photoshop a bike by adding parts from all other kinds of bikes just to produce a fake? Really? What advantage is there in them doing that? Or what are they gaining?
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Good question Kristi...maybe they've got nothing better to do... :D

DJ