Page 1 of 1

BIG silly things in the Canadian Prairie

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:37 am
by frozennorth
Trying to take pictures of all the small town mascots and structures that dot the Alberta prairie. Much silliness, but this get's us to ride every weekend :)

I res'd down the pics but they'll still take a bit to load as this is on my slow server. Sorry.

Apparently this is the biggest beaver in Alberta. Not that big IMO.
Image

A steam shovel museum along some hwy that I forgot the number of.
Image

Image

Image

You always get some interesting looks when you take your gear down to the parking lot like this :)
Image

Not sure why the town decided they need a smelly rodent as a mascot, but here's Squirt the Skunk.
Image

This was carved by Mr. Poulin, the owner of Poulin Chainsaws. Neat. Shawn's Rockster sitting beside my R.
Image
Image

Apparently the biggest gopher in the world. This town has a gopher museum that has 200 stuffed gophers doing things like dancing and hanging out at the beach.
Image

The biggest lantern/lamp in the world. This thing actually lights up at night :)
Image

After seeing the lamp, Chris haulin waaay too much deadfall for a fire.
Image

The only spaceship landing pad in the world??
Image

Taking a break at the largest Mallard in the world.
Image
Image

A large Elk . . . .
Image

. . . next to the largest Ukrainian Pysanka (easter egg) in the world. This thing is made of laser cut aluminum sections and apparently is one of the first technical structures that can be totally assembled by an unskilled team. It's on a spindle, so that it rotates like a weather vane.
Image

And last, but not least, the biggest coil of garlic sausage in a little town named Mundare. The biggest business is the Mundare Sausage House. This sausage is shipped all over Canada and really is an awesome sausage.
Image

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:05 pm
by mnnden
frozennorth, Very interesting, I really enjoyed looking, thanks for sharing. I'll add one of my own, "Tea pot"( the water tower) in a small town, near where we live, Lindstrom MN, (aka "Little Sweden) Den

Image

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:32 pm
by Boxer
Thanks Frozen!
I get a kick out of those giant things along the road. I have to tell you though, that giant garlic sausage is gonna give me nightmares for a while.

I'm gonna start looking for some of these around Georgia now.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:24 pm
by DJ Downunder
All great pics..thanks for posting them.. :D

DJ

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:05 pm
by DSKYZD
That's quite a collection of pictcures you have there. Most interesting. A great reason to ride (it never takes much)!

Thanks for the fun!


DSKYZD

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:45 am
by taosports
Nice to find a silly reason to ride! Fun photos Frozennorth. Thanks for posting them.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:00 pm
by Sebretian
What's the make and model of your tank bag? I've been looking for one that's the right size to hold my camera, won't scratch my tank or erase my credit cards. Yours looks pretty good.

David

Re: BIG silly things in the Canadian Prairie

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:41 pm
by dwayne
frozennorth wrote: Apparently the biggest gopher in the world. This town has a gopher museum that has 200 stuffed gophers doing things like dancing and hanging out at the beach.
Image
HAHAHA, when I was in Alberta I saw drove by the Museum. I think it's on the way from Calgary to Edmonton on whatever highway that is.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:49 am
by Valueman
Frozennorth,

Nice. I often see silly things along the way, but don't often stop to get pics. Maybe I will now with yor inspiration.

VM

Nice

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:52 pm
by MikeCam
FN,

Nice, I would have written sooner but it takes a week of Sundays for pics to download at the farm. Worth it.

M