Aftermarket shocks

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

mcollect
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Aftermarket shocks

Post by mcollect »

Having solved the ergonomic issues seat footpegs and barbacks I am thinking the shocks should be renewed 26,000 on the clock. While they are OK I feel that a better set would improve the already great handling.
I like to ride a great many different road conditions gravel to highway, but mostly W.Va. twisties. What are the options and pros and cons to the various units. BTW I don't need more power, noisier exhaust or anything else so I thought I tune the suspension. :?:
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
beemer-biker
Basic User

Post by beemer-biker »

One word:
Ohlins.
beemer-biker
Ride safe!!
'06 Aprilia Caponord
beemerphile

Post by beemerphile »

better word,

Wilbers.
Mike UK
Lifer

Post by Mike UK »

and another...

Hagon
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Ohlins, Wilburs, Works, Performance......All great brand aftermarket shocks. I've asked this before, which one has the best bang-for-the-buck factor? They are all over $1000 for a pair (a serious investment) and we hear they are all recommended. Can anyone explain WHY Wilburs is better than Works, or Ohlins is better than Performance? THE brand we are all familiar with is Ohlins, and most of us have heard of the others but I don't think ANYONE has tried multiple brands on the same bike to see the differences.

Anyone? ANYONE? I may soon research this with serious intent since my bike has just over 43k miles. I would like to have a new set of shocks installed and sorted out by next spring (so I can try and keep up with CycleRob at the next bash).
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
beemerphile

Post by beemerphile »

R4R&R wrote: Can anyone explain WHY Wilburs is better than Works, or Ohlins is better than Performance?
It is hard to evaluate since, as you noted, not many people have direct experience with multiple brands on the same bike. You can, however, note the relative satisfaction level, price, and service/rebuild issues.

In my limited study, someone who had tried both said that Wilbers were a little better than Ohlins for a little less money and rebuilds through the New Jersey outlet were painless and quick. In ordering my Wilbers, I'd also add that Klaus did a wonderful job of fitting the spring rates to my intended use. I never have to fiddle with preload. I don't sense that the assistance is there with Ohlins to truly fit them to you and your loading/use of the bike.

I am sure the other brands are fine and there is probably no wrong answer to the question, but I am 100% satisfied with the Wilbers and the service I got through the New Jersey office. I have heard they are trying to sell direct now, but I can't imagine why...

http://wilbersusa.com/wilbers/Products/prodShocks.htm
mcollect
Lifer

Post by mcollect »

Thanks for the input. This thread was prompted when I went into a tight turn and at the apex there was a patch in the road, from one side to the other about a foot wide. Well we got through it only scared to death, but the worst part was that the Yamaha V Star I was following, never skipped a beat.
This bike is as good a handler as my MG LM1 but not as good as my old Ducati, I lust after that kind of handling! Can that Happen or am I kidding myself?
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

The Roadster is a GREAT handler, but will probably never be as good as any Ducati no matter what you put on it. After all, handling is Ducati's raison d'etre. Some bikes are all about style and noise (HD), others are known for more performance than any sane person can use (Kasuki), and some, like BMW are just great all-arounders. Tires make a lot of difference (more so than shocks), but I have found that the rider, not the bike, makes all the difference in the world. :lol:
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

Were you 'holding' the tank with your legs/knees, weight off the bars with your arms loose? The roadster should've been able to soak that patch up. Maybe check all aspects of your suspension - maybe something is loose. Also check tire pressure; what condition are your tires in? I notice a big difference in my bike's handling when going from old squared off tires to fresh tires.

I think I'll ask for new shocks for my b-day and see what happens.
John
Member 293 (I think)
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

So I got a quote back from Wilburs:
Front:
Model 630 @ $ 487.00
the shock has adjustable rebound damping with 22 clicks, and infinite variable adjustment for the spring pre-load via C-spanner

Rear:
Model 640 @ $ 516.00
as above

or:

Model 641 @ $ 798.00
the shock has adjustable rebound damping with 22 clicks, as well as High and Low speed compression damping with 22 clicks and hose mounted reservoir.

Options:
# 629 = infinite variable adjustable ride height +/- 1/2" for either model front or back $ 78.00
# 625 = hydraulic pre-load adjuster for rear shock, to eliminate the fiddling with the hook-wrench @ $ 211.00
That's still a lot of $$$!
John
Member 293 (I think)
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

John - When you get 'em, let us know how you like them!
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Aftermarket Shocks

Post by P_Jensen »

The prices on the wilbers are about the same as Ohlins when equipped the same. The front w/ length adjustment and the rear with the adjustable preload. As far as the remote adjustment for high/low speed nice bling but not something that would be used much once dialed in. My previous bike an F650 I did the suspension (Race Tech Gold Valves in the forks and a Ohlins rear shock) and I wish the R1150R rode as nice. It is the only other thing I want for the R.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

Panzerleder wrote:John - When you get 'em, let us know how you like them!
I haven't made the decision yet. Nor gotten the approval. :wink:

I'm going to price out the major brands to see the exact difference. It sounds like Wilburs would pretty much custom build the shock for ME, not 'adjust' it. They sounded willing to please which goes a long way.
John
Member 293 (I think)
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

Works Performance will also build the shock to suit. I've had several on various of my bikes and they are worth every penny. I haven't priced them for the Roadster. They are not cheap, but my bet is they would come in cheaper than Ohlins and maybe Wilber.
mcollect
Lifer

Post by mcollect »

John
When you get approval and are ready, let us know. Maybe we could get together and put in a group order, and get a discount?
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

Good idea! I'm probably in for something. Here's the web site for Works Performance. It looks like their front shock for the R1150R is $419 and the rear $589.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/bmw.html
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

It sounds like others may be interested. If so, let me know and I'll call to see if there are multiple disacounts available. I'll probably do this within the next month.
John
Member 293 (I think)