High Handlebar and lower/advanced footrest riding feel
Moderator: Moderators
High Handlebar and lower/advanced footrest riding feel
Hi,
As I have posted in other thead, so my excuses if someone is offended.
I have bought a 02 1150 R two weeks ago and done more than 1000 kmts already.
I ride mainly on mountain twisty roads in bad shape.
I have smootly adapted myself to the riding position, with weight on the wrist instead of on the butt (I come from trail motorbikes), and selected the softest position both shockabsorbers.
However, I still heasitate a lot when going into a turn. On some occasions I feel that I have to lean too much to the inside and -gasp-. On other occasions I brake too much and then the turn is taken too slow and too upright
My question is, if someone has made any of the modifications (higher handlebars / lower or advanced footrest) and what is the feel when riding the bike.
Best regards and thanks in advance.
As I have posted in other thead, so my excuses if someone is offended.
I have bought a 02 1150 R two weeks ago and done more than 1000 kmts already.
I ride mainly on mountain twisty roads in bad shape.
I have smootly adapted myself to the riding position, with weight on the wrist instead of on the butt (I come from trail motorbikes), and selected the softest position both shockabsorbers.
However, I still heasitate a lot when going into a turn. On some occasions I feel that I have to lean too much to the inside and -gasp-. On other occasions I brake too much and then the turn is taken too slow and too upright
My question is, if someone has made any of the modifications (higher handlebars / lower or advanced footrest) and what is the feel when riding the bike.
Best regards and thanks in advance.
-
DJ Downunder
- Honorary Lifer
- Posts: 4776
- Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:26 pm
- Location: Melbourne
Welcome to the forum.
I also have an 02...and ride similar type roads..but most roads are in good shape..(is that what you mean or are you in bad shape?)
I have my shocks on full hard..or maybe one click back...I have rotated my bars slightly forward to help get my weight more forward..but I am tall.
I ride with my toes on the pegs...I slide my arse off the edge of the seat when entering a corner..try and stay loose..lean forward with bent elbows.. and maybe counter steering a little..and pushing my outer knee into the tank..and around she goes.
You have only had the bike a couple of weeks..it could take a couple of years before you start to feel one with the bike..don't push it too much in these early days...I'm no expert but I hope this helps.
DJ
I also have an 02...and ride similar type roads..but most roads are in good shape..(is that what you mean or are you in bad shape?)
I have my shocks on full hard..or maybe one click back...I have rotated my bars slightly forward to help get my weight more forward..but I am tall.
I ride with my toes on the pegs...I slide my arse off the edge of the seat when entering a corner..try and stay loose..lean forward with bent elbows.. and maybe counter steering a little..and pushing my outer knee into the tank..and around she goes.
You have only had the bike a couple of weeks..it could take a couple of years before you start to feel one with the bike..don't push it too much in these early days...I'm no expert but I hope this helps.
DJ
It takes a while to adjust to the odd BMW suspension setup, but once you do, you wont go back to any other.
As both previous people have said, just go and ride, practice on good roads 1st, at lower speeds, then increase as the confidence increaces.
These bikes will do things other brands can only dream of, so just get used to it, and enjoy the experience.
As both previous people have said, just go and ride, practice on good roads 1st, at lower speeds, then increase as the confidence increaces.
These bikes will do things other brands can only dream of, so just get used to it, and enjoy the experience.
2002 R1150R.
Hey fj,
Congrats on on getting the R, I bought an 04 R back in Sept. best money I've ever spent. So much fun to ride. I put about 2K miles on it before Winter set in, and I was just starting to get comfortable and smooth on it.
I read Reg Pridmore's book "Smooth Riding". He teaches MC road racing techniques that can be applied to the street as well. Good read!
I agree with everyone else, give it a little time, I just started using body steering, as DJ previously described, and WOW does this thing respond!
Take some time, get to know it, "treat every ride as a learning experience" - Quote from Smooth Riding
Congrats on on getting the R, I bought an 04 R back in Sept. best money I've ever spent. So much fun to ride. I put about 2K miles on it before Winter set in, and I was just starting to get comfortable and smooth on it.
I read Reg Pridmore's book "Smooth Riding". He teaches MC road racing techniques that can be applied to the street as well. Good read!
I agree with everyone else, give it a little time, I just started using body steering, as DJ previously described, and WOW does this thing respond!
Take some time, get to know it, "treat every ride as a learning experience" - Quote from Smooth Riding
Mark - Member 522
04 R1150R (Silver)
04 R1150R (Silver)
-
threebucks1996
- Basic User
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:02 pm
- Location: Richmond, VA
I will testify to feeling unstable in corners as well...at first. I was riding a lighter lower bike than the R last year. I was not quite used to the extra weight or being up higher on the bike through the corners. Now after 9 months of owning the R, I am feeling way more comfortable through the tuns and using the counterstearing technique alot more than I did on my other bike. Definetly take your time and slow before the turn and slowly accelerate out and you will get a better feel for it in time.
It is well worth the extra time you take to learn how your bike handles before you just start throwing it in corners. You will be very happy. Believe me!
It is well worth the extra time you take to learn how your bike handles before you just start throwing it in corners. You will be very happy. Believe me!
Buckster
'03R
'03R
- priapismic
- Basic User
- Posts: 333
- Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 6:01 pm
- Location: Mayberry, NE Texas
Another +1 on what DJ said. It's all about technique; practice what he suggests, and as others have said, go slowly until you learn to build confidence in your bike's handling.
I have both raised handlebars (with Moto Techniques bar risers) and lowered foot pegs (with the MV Verholen kit), and I can assure you, there is no significant difference in handling due to either of them. Your bike's handling is much more a function of 1. suspension set up, 2. tires (and proper inflation), and most of all 3. rider input.
I have both raised handlebars (with Moto Techniques bar risers) and lowered foot pegs (with the MV Verholen kit), and I can assure you, there is no significant difference in handling due to either of them. Your bike's handling is much more a function of 1. suspension set up, 2. tires (and proper inflation), and most of all 3. rider input.
Viagra Donor and well-known reprobate and provocateur ....
OK DJ might be right on most counts, but I take exception on the learning curve. I have been riding for only thirty five years, Ducs and MG lemans and I feel that this is the easiest bike to learn to ride.It isn't as flickable as a duc but the suspension is far superior. I raced MG lemans in the 70s and 80s and this bike instills more confidence then my beloved LM1 92,000 miles and counting.
But start in the turns slowley and accelerate out of them, you will quickly learn to trust the RR.
But start in the turns slowley and accelerate out of them, you will quickly learn to trust the RR.
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
-
Beemeridian
- Lifer
- Posts: 1280
- Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:26 pm
5678
Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
2015 Honda PCX150
Thaks to all for your replies
Thanks to all.
I will take the advice and get confident or roads with good asphalt before
trying cornering on the mountain rides.
Regards
I will take the advice and get confident or roads with good asphalt before
trying cornering on the mountain rides.
Regards