Parabellum windscreen vs BMW touring screen

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Parabellum windscreen vs BMW touring screen

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Anyone using the Parabellum screen--the plain one, ie not the Scout? I think it looks pretty good.
How does it compare to the BMW screen in protection from buffetting? I am very disappointed with the BMW touring screen mount. Is the Parabellum more secure? Tell me it doesn't use wellnuts.

Tia

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Rich Hamilton
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Rich Hamilton »

Wellnuts? What the heck are those?

Anyways, I've seen a lot of flack here about the BMW Touring screen mounting system and nuts falling off (wellnuts, that is). But someone mentioned Lock-Tite as a cure for this issue.

On Parabellum's website, the mounting system looks pretty secure. At least on my Rockster Series 80, the mounts attach to the handlebar clamps and the headlight supports (though the headlight supports on the Rocksters with dual-headlights look a lot more substantial than the standard R1150R).

I considered the BMW Touring screen too (now I have a custom made mini-screen that works OK but on the highway the wind blast hits me right in the visor - not good).

I was actually looking at the Parabellum Cafe Screen for my Series 80 (it's 14" X 14") and it looks larger without looking gaudy. If you go the Parabellum route, be sure to give us a thorough review! 8)
2004 BMW R1150R Series 80-Alpine White (#131 of 200)
E=MC² (Enjoyment = Motorcycle X Clear skies²)
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

I have a large Parabellum (22" as I recall) on my 03 R1150R and I love it. Very secure, no buffeting (I ride with an open-faced helmet so that's very important to me). I've had Parabellum shields on many of my bikes over the years and find they are first rate, both in quality and protection from the elements.
frbank6
Basic User

Post by frbank6 »

Dr.

I have had both the Touring shield and the Parabellum Tall(23') shield. I hated the BMW Touring model and at first was very happy with the Parabellum. After about a year of riding, the Parabellum developed a crack across the lower bolt hole in the shield. I felt this might have been a factor of wind leverage on the tall shield that might not be an issue on a shorter version. They offered me a new shield for $100, but I figured it would probably end up with a similar crack. I ultimately got the "Tall Shield" from BMW and have been very pleased with it. The mounting system on the Parabellum worked, but was nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the BMW mount, which is also rock-solid.
OU812
Lifer

Windscreens

Post by OU812 »

I started with the BMW. Now I have the tall Parabellum. It the one for me. :D
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Panzerleder
Basic User

Post by Panzerleder »

FRbank6 - The cracking on your Parabellum was most likely caused by the lower mounting screw being a little too tight. I've never experienced a similar problem on any of my Parabellum shields, but have had that happen on other after-market shields.
HILLBILLIEBIKER
Basic User

Post by HILLBILLIEBIKER »

If you drill a small 1/8" hole at the end of the crack it will stop running. An old aircraft trick.
What could be better than going on 60 yo on a BMW R1150R going on 60 mph? OK lets not get into that
threebucks1996
Basic User

Post by threebucks1996 »

I like my Parabellum but cannot compare it to BMW's touring shield. I have the medium height shield-21" I believe. I am only 5'8". I do get alot of noise though. The shield comes to about mouth level on me. I do like that it's fairly easy to take off and on. I leave the little side "L" brackets on the bike. I painted them black and you hardly notice them. One thing that I don't care for on the BMW shield is that when you look through it, it as thugh you are looking through some warped glasses because of the shape of it. Not that you do much looking through it because you are looking over top of it.
I personally like the looks of Givi's a-760 shield but have found no one that has mounted one on a R. Plenty of people have the a-750 which is alot narrower.
Buckster
'03R