Page 1 of 1

Front Tire Wear

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:04 pm
by Catapult
I'm new to riding and just completed my first 3000 miles. It seems that my front tire is warn out but the back tire looks fine. Why is my front tire wearing faster then the back, is this bad riding style?

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:07 pm
by Biff's R
My fronts have worn a bit quicker than the rears, too. One thing that I have done is run abit higher pressure in my tires. 38 psi(f)/40 (r)

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:55 am
by Boxer
Do you guys have 'front-wheel-drive'?

That's just the opposite from my experience. My front tire hardly ever wears out.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:36 am
by gregor
I have got the linked and powered brakes. Both tyres wear at same pace.
4000 miles the pair!

Center of Gravity

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:28 am
by Catapult
I have the linked brakes also. I wonder if I'm placing the center of gravity to far forward when in turns?

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:20 am
by wncbmw
If air pressures are not the problem, I would suggest you have my 'problem' - living in the mountains. Curves wear your front tires quicker. My fronts usually go before the rear, although not by too much. It is a nice problem to have! :wink:

I don't think you are fooling with your center of gravity enough to effect tire wear! You would crash long before your tires wore out! :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:08 pm
by pneuby
My senior guys assert that Telever is also harder on a tire than conventional forks. Since it does such a wonderful job of isolating the bumps, it keeps all of that impact dead-center in the centerline of the tire. If you're not running higher than normal air-pressure, cupping can become notable.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:50 pm
by MIXR
Spot -on pneuby. These things are hard on front tyre if used vigorously. I get equal wear front and rear to the point that I usually just stick a new pair on at the same time. My riding is either hard mountain stuff, or slab, with not much in-between. Life is around 16,000 kms a set, which I reckon is pretty good.

There are some very good technical articles around about the BMW telelever/paralever setup. They explain why tyre wear is so different (usually) from a 'standard' bike.