Page 1 of 1

Another accessory socket question

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:48 am
by MartinW
I've bought the genuine BMW accessory socket. Found the blanking plug in the starter-motor shroud, removed the shroud BUT there no plug there.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I assume it should be pretty obvious (even to me). Apart from cables attached to the starter-motor, there is only once cable visible. This is secured in a plastic cleat and the end disappears in to a hole....

I have a 2002/06 R so maybe they weren't pre-wired for an accessory socket. Anyone have info about this?

Thanks

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:51 am
by riceburner
Martin - does the socket you bought have a fancy 2-pin connector on the end of the leads?

The wires that are on the bike are hidden "behind" the starter motor cables and you have to fineagle them out with a small amount of tugging. If you want, I can pop up to yours sometime and show you? (I live in W.Sussex).

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 am
by MartinW
Hi Riceburner,

Yes, the socket I'v bought has a female 2-pin female connector on the back (part no 61 13 1 391 630).

Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough but will have another go this afternoon.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'll get back to you. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:35 am
by MartinW
Just had another 'hunt the cable' session. There's a group of cables behind the starter-motor. They are cable-tied although one of them loops back on itself.

Could this be the one? I did give it a tentative tug but don't want to break a cable and am even cautious about cutting the tie as it will be a b*gger to get another one on there as the space is not exactly palatial.

Maybe the earlyish Rs didn't have the cable? Seems strange that the SM cover has a blanking lug for the socket though.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:06 pm
by scottdelamancha
Hello Martin, I have a 2002 and there is an accessory plug, albeit not the 2 pin style. Oh yea, and it is red!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:57 pm
by MartinW
Hi Scott, thanks for that.

Can't see any red plug on mine.Might have to run some cables I think but will need to buy the 2-pin mael plug as well.

Maybe I have the only R without the pre-cabling!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:45 pm
by Sunbeemer
Martin, in my '02 , the wire bundle for the accy plug was cable-tied up to the starter motor wire, above the solenoid. A little tricky to reach, but obviously there, and when I teased out the bundle, I could see the two conductor connector behind it. Hope this helps you find it because it is there...

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:59 am
by riceburner
Martin - if you're available TONIGHT, I'm going to be stopping at Boxhill (Dorking) at about 6:30 (ish) to meet some mates.

If you're inclined, pop over (Boxhill can't be too far from you if you're in Surrey), bring the correct Allen key with you though... ;) )

I'll be on the Rockster, just look for a guy coughing regularly. ( :( )