Recommendation for R1200R seat bag

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dlemisch

Recommendation for R1200R seat bag

Post by dlemisch »

Hi all. I'm planning to take a long trip this Spring on the R1200R and was looking for a good seat bag to hold quite a bit of clothing. Any recommendations (or items for sale) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
sky_sailor
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Recommendation for R1200R seat bag

Post by sky_sailor »

I have a Motofizz....love it!
When in doubt, chicken out...
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

RKA makes a number of different size seat bags - I have and use their smallest. The great part about them is the mounting - they velcro onto a base that remains on the seat when you remove the bag from the bike. Makes it very easy to carry into your motel room (or tent if you're a masocist..)

BTW - for longer trips I normally carry about 1 week of clothing. When it starts running low, I spend some quality time at a laundrymat - or since a lot of better motels/hotels now have guest laundries - I'll use those. Doing this I can easily carry clothes for a long trip, and my netbook, and toilet gear in just the sidecases. I use the seat-bag for extra maps, a tire-patch kit, air-compressor and my SPOT satellite tracking device.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

I love the Kriega stuff, 100 percent waterproof! And no straps against your paint.

http://www.kriega.us/products/kriega-us-20

Here's a photo of 30 liters of storage on my Superduke seat.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

+1 on Kriega bags ... Wonderful and can pack them up. I use these most of the time instead of my side hard bags.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

Here's the R1200R with the Kriega US20 on the pillion:

To mount, slide the straps under the seat:

And a close up. Stock seat:

It's light weight, shrinks to the size of the contents, and fits well when worn courier style over the shoulder if you want to detach from the bike and have the bag or contents with you.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
angellr

Post by angellr »

LumpyCam wrote:Here's the R1200R with the Kriega US20 on the pillion:

To mount, slide the straps under the seat:

And a close up. Stock seat:

It's light weight, shrinks to the size of the contents, and fits well when worn courier style over the shoulder if you want to detach from the bike and have the bag or contents with you.
I actually mount mine on the back where the topcase goes. YMMV.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I have the Touratech seat bag:

http://www.streetline-usa.com/Store/590 ... BMW-R1200R

This one has an attachment that fits under the seat and the bag is mounted on it by side zippers and velcro on the bottom. It can be removed and carried into your motel room.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I like and use the Cortech Tail Bag:

It makes a nice backrest when attached to the rear seat.

Good size pockets on sides to carry stuff.

Bag expands a few inches on each side for extra room.

On and off easily with heavy duty bungy cords and hooks that are run through the bag. And handle to carry it if that's important.

$72 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Sport-Tai ... B002ZKGUOI
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

dlemisch wrote:Hi all. I'm planning to take a long trip this Spring on the R1200R and was looking for a good seat bag to hold quite a bit of clothing. Any recommendations (or items for sale) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I would recommend NOT taking a "quite of bit of clothing" to start. The more weight you have, the worse the bike handles, the more crap you have, the more you have to deal with packing, unpacking, and removing when the one item you need is undoubtably on the bottom of the bag...
Less is more while traveling, and you're never far from shopping resources in the USA, so don't worry, you can pick something up on the road if need be.
Pack small.
If you buy a big bag, you'll fill it up.... buy a small or medium bag and make it work...

It's my experience that the number one overpacked item on motorcycle trips is clothes. If your trip involves business meetings every night then I'd understand, but in reality, most people only need a few various clothes to travel in various climates and be comfortable.

My list usually is something like this, for trips up to two months:

1 lightweight synthetic t-shirt ( Mountain Hardware)
1 synthetic long sleeve shirt (Patagonia)
1 synthetic pant (Mountain Hardware)
2 Under Armour synthetic underwear (awesome)
2 pair Sokz brand motorcycle synthetic socks (again, awesome)
1 pair water shoes

Stay away from cotton, it's horrible compared to modern fabrics that stay cleaner longer, packs smaller ,wicks moisture away, are anti-bacterial, and can be hand washed in a sink or stream and easily dry overnight in a tent or hotel room.
I understand not everyone wants to roll like I do, but there's somewhere in between " quite a bit of clothing" and my setup that will work for you.
The kind of clothing you use will make a big difference in size/weight when packed, how long it stays clean and wearable, and how easy it is to clean. For example a pair a jeans weighs and takes up as much space as all of my listed clothes combined. ( when in a compression bag)

Really, all you need is something to wear for a few hours in the evening after you ride....

Back to the original question, lots of good recommendations here already... just stay away from anything that's not listed as 100% water-PROOF, and doesn't need a cover. You said you're going on a long trip, so it's safe to assume you'll be riding in rain.... BTDT with "water resistant" bags... not fun.

Bags I use:

Ortlieb
Seal Line
Seattle Sports
Event
BMW Sports bag
Helen Two Wheels

If your bag doesn't have incorporated straps, then get some ROK straps to secure whatever dry bag you get to the bike, hands down the safest, most secure way to rig a bag to a motorbike.

Here's a link to the ADV Equipment forum, plenty of info to digest during your winter planning...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Have a great time!
Last edited by Lost Rider on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Get Lost!
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

My approach to motorbike packing is...pack like you're going to carry it on your back. I take nothing more than I would take on a backpacking trip. In fact, my "seat bag" is my internal frame backpack. If it doesn't fit in there, it doesn't come with me. Also nice for dealing with overnight security. Unhook a few bungies and all my gear comes with me off the bike in one carry.
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

+1 on the Cortech Tail Bag.
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Some pics of the RKA bag:

The top section expands to about double the size of the bag..

As I noted - the base section stays on the seat when you're not using the bag (or take it with you..) The straps fastening the bag to the base are the four that go up the side of the bag.. they go through a buckle on the base, and then velcro up to the bag locking it to the base. It is VERY secure, and with the bag removed, the base remains (and is low enough it could be sat on if needed by a pillion passenger.)

Nice bag. Robert makes several larger ones, but this one seemed perfect for the R12R.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Look at the Wolfman "beta". More capacity, clips on and off and ability to add attachments. The best bit is that it has side pockets for easy access to things you need quickly eg water bottle when you stop for a drink.

I know the UK distributor personally but you can check the Wolfman website for your local supplier
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)
2006 KTM 400 EXC (Orange,.. obviously)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

I have the Kriega 20. Great bag if you have 20 liters of stuff or less. If you have more, you can attach another 10 liter bag and up to two 5 liters. Very waterproof best I can tell. You can attach the Kriega tot the bike by running straps under the seat.

You can unclip the bag and leave the straps behind then reclip the bag to the bike when you return. If you always ride with the bag and the bag is always holding the same amount of stuff you're golden.

When you ride without the bag you have two options. You can remove the straps which is something of a pain because removing the seat is a paid.

Alternatively, you can leave the straps in place and attach the two ends of each strap to each other. That way each strap forms a loop around the seat and the straps stays in place. There are three problems with this approach. First, to clip the ends of the straps together you need an accessory that consists of two female clips attached by a two or three inch strap to accept the male connectors on the straps. So the problem is that you have to keep up with these double female connectors that really aren't needed and serve no other purpose. Why didn't the rocket scientists put two male and two female connectors on the bag and one male and one female connector on each of the two straps? There would be no need for the double-female connectors and the straps could actually be used for other purposes instead of just connecting the bag to the bike.

The double-female connectors are easily lost because they are black and you are dealing with a black bag sitting on a black seat and chances are you are wearing black gloves while dealing with all of this stuff. Kriega understands the frustration of finding and keeping up with things when everything involved is black. That is why the inside of the Kriega bag is stark white. It makes it very easy to find things in the bag.

Assume that you have the double female connectors and use them despite my whining above. There is another issue which is that the straps must be much longer to hold the bag on the bike when it is full than when the bag is not present. If the straps are long enough to hold a full bag when the bag is removed and the ends are connected and the straps are tighted down, their is too much excess webbing flying around.

I've used the Wolf saddlebags and I like them but they aren't waterproof. I would consider their waterproof bags though.

Once you connect the male ends of the straps to the double female connectors

the straps to The straps have male clips on each end and the bag has four female clips to accept each end of the two straps. If you ride without the bag attached the straps must be removed or secured with a "female/female" add-on to attach the two ends of the "male/male" strap or you need to remove the straps. The system works ok but it's a PITA. You have to keep up with the female/female add-ons. That's a lot for a company to ask since when I ordered my bag the company had run out of the things and was rush shipping them from elsewhere. The bag should have a male clip to provide somewhere to store the for the purpose of attaching

I was just at the local dealer and taking a look at the BMW seat bag. Like everything they make it's expensive but it definitely holds more than the Kriega. I'm not sure how it would mount up though.

Sander
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
sams08r1200r
Basic User

Post by sams08r1200r »

You've probably bought your tail bag by now, but if you haven't, look at the one by Wunderlich.

I'm very happy with mine.
angellr

Post by angellr »

Sander Abernathy wrote:I have the Kriega 20. Great bag if you have 20 liters of stuff or less. If you have more, you can attach another 10 liter bag and up to two 5 liters. Very waterproof best I can tell. You can attach the Kriega tot the bike by running straps under the seat.
I run/hook mine up where the hard tail bag should go. I DO NOT like it and find it a PITA most of the time. If I need to use my hard tail bag, then I hook up the Kriega on the seat.
Sander Abernathy wrote: You can unclip the bag and leave the straps behind then reclip the bag to the bike when you return. If you always ride with the bag and the bag is always holding the same amount of stuff you're golden.

When you ride without the bag you have two options. You can remove the straps which is something of a pain because removing the seat is a paid.

Alternatively, you can leave the straps in place and attach the two ends of each strap to each other. That way each strap forms a loop around the seat and the straps stays in place. There are three problems with this approach. First, to clip the ends of the straps together you need an accessory that consists of two female clips attached by a two or three inch strap to accept the male connectors on the straps. So the problem is that you have to keep up with these double female connectors that really aren't needed and serve no other purpose. Why didn't the rocket scientists put two male and two female connectors on the bag and one male and one female connector on each of the two straps? There would be no need for the double-female connectors and the straps could actually be used for other purposes instead of just connecting the bag to the bike.

The double-female connectors are easily lost because they are black and you are dealing with a black bag sitting on a black seat and chances are you are wearing black gloves while dealing with all of this stuff. Kriega understands the frustration of finding and keeping up with things when everything involved is black. That is why the inside of the Kriega bag is stark white. It makes it very easy to find things in the bag.

Assume that you have the double female connectors and use them despite my whining above. There is another issue which is that the straps must be much longer to hold the bag on the bike when it is full than when the bag is not present. If the straps are long enough to hold a full bag when the bag is removed and the ends are connected and the straps are tighted down, their is too much excess webbing flying around.
Must agree here. This is the DOWNSIDE to the Kriega bags ... black on black is tough sometimes to see ... I just tie down the excess most of the time. On the flip side, I really love the fact that all of my stuff stays H20 proof in some of the nastiest weather. I also leave my 20 on at all times, while leaving my hard panniers behind in the garage for short trips.
Sander Abernathy wrote: I've used the Wolf saddlebags and I like them but they aren't waterproof. I would consider their waterproof bags though.

Once you connect the male ends of the straps to the double female connectors the straps to The straps have male clips on each end and the bag has four female clips to accept each end of the two straps. If you ride without the bag attached the straps must be removed or secured with a "female/female" add-on to attach the two ends of the "male/male" strap or you need to remove the straps. The system works ok but it's a PITA. You have to keep up with the female/female add-ons. That's a lot for a company to ask since when I ordered my bag the company had run out of the things and was rush shipping them from elsewhere. The bag should have a male clip to provide somewhere to store the for the purpose of attaching

I was just at the local dealer and taking a look at the BMW seat bag. Like everything they make it's expensive but it definitely holds more than the Kriega. I'm not sure how it would mount up though.

Sander
I have the 20 *and* 10 liter bags and fill them up and cannot say enough GOOD THINGS about them ... in addition to my hard paniers. I also have a waterproof Rubberized bag for all the other "stuff". A couple of Rocstraps and I have everything tied down and snug. Also, if you do the 20 with the 2 10's on the side, it makes a great FLAT surface to mount other gear. The bags also work very well on the back of Sport bikes where there is very little. I also have the Kriega hydration pack and have found it to be not as useful as I would have hoped ... not too comfortable on longer rides having it on your back. I might try using it again at some point.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

I love my Motofizz, their largest size (sorry, don't know the number of litres/ft^3). It covers the rear seat and the tail rack. This gives it a nice flat surface on top to which I strap my Ortlieb (largest size) dry bag and my camp chair. I *try* to pack like I would when I (used to, was able to) backpack (except I never packed an actual chair), but all of this volume gets filled to capacity---even with a small tent and sleeping bag, and I take about the same set of clothing as Chitown.

Looking at the rig when it's tricked out like that it seems like the center of gravity is way too high and that handling would be unwieldy, if not impossible, to say nothing of the effect of the weight itself. Strangely (to me) the handling doesn't seem to be affected at all. Of course, I don't ride on unridable roads (like Chitown does), although I've done some hill climbing (and subsequent descending) on rutted gravel.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the set-up (well, I do but I have no idea which memory card or computer is might be on). I will post one from my next trip, wihch will undoubtedly bring great gales of laughter from the crew here. One toll-taker took a look at what was carrying and said, "Gee whizz, You might as well have brought your car!" In my defense, I did start my trips with two weeks x 3 meals per day of freeze dried food in my panniers. Next trip, though, I'll just be packing dinner, since Wendys or McDonalds or any cafe that is open at that time of the morning have *much* better breakfasts than what comes dehydrated in a bag,, and I seldom stop for lunch, anyway--making do with a power bar.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)